Lactating bitch

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Bobbyizzy
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Daisy
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Lactating bitch

Post by Bobbyizzy »

Hi, my mini had 3 pups 4 days ago (on 23rd January) but yesterday and today she has been ‘digging’ which I understand could be to do with after pains. She also appears not to want to spend all her time with the pups although she is feeding them and toileting them. I have read that lack of calcium could be the problem. Can I rectify this by diet (I am feeding her puppy food with additional chicken and hard boiled eggs), or is it a vet thing? Grateful for help as this is my first time breeding.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Lactating bitch

Post by zeta1454 »

When a bitch is feeding puppies she needs more food overall which should of itself give her extra nutrients including calcium but you should also be supplementing with liquid calcium. There are a number of different products on the market but, if you are in the U.K. these are links to two of these to give you an idea of what you are looking for:

https://animal-health.co.uk/product/calci-care

https://www.vetpharmacy.co.uk/collo-cal ... nt-pd-2082

However, I would say that if you are worried about your girl’s behaviour it is always best to have her checked by a vet. You are right that the ‘digging’ can be a reaction to pain and there are different reasons for this from the expected after-birthing pain from the trauma of whelping which may last a while but is not a threat to her health to eclampsia which is severe calcium deficiency brought on by feeding pups and this can be life threatening.

Personally, I think if you can get a vet appointment I would do that for your peace of mind and to be certain that your mini girl is OK. Bitches do vary in the intensity of their ‘mothering instinct’ but severe pain can affect how much time a mother may want to spend with her pups and at this early stage you would really want her to be with them most of the time.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Bobbyizzy
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Daisy

Re: Lactating bitch

Post by Bobbyizzy »

Thank you your reply. Shortly after I posted I did get a vet appointment and they gave a thorough check, blood tests and a scan of abdomen. Nothing unusual shown thank goodness. New mum, first time breeder, tiredness and seeing your dog like that makes for quite an anxious time ~ and we are only day 5!!! This forum though is quite informative. Thank you.