Puppy coat?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Crosbie_choc_schn
First Name: Crys
Dog #1: Crosbie
Born: 02 Dec 2021

Puppy coat?

Post by Crosbie_choc_schn »

I’m new to the schnauzer world and my breeder and I are fascinated by my little guy’s coat. It so curly, almost like a poodle. He is full bred with documentation. And I’ve seen both parents and his litter mates and none of them have this kind of coat. I will post pictures of when he was small.
He’s been shaved down twice now and every time he seems to get curlier.
But I did notice with this last shave he’s getting some wirey hairs mixed in. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Puppy coat?

Post by zeta1454 »

Puppies do have very soft coats which are more fluffy and can be a little wavy if left long. Miniature schnauzers are a double coated breed with a softer undercoat and a harsh top coat. To keep the jacket in good condition, the dead top coat hairs are removed as well as the soft undercoat, by hand stripping. Clipping or shaving off the jacket will remove the harsh straight hairs and leave the soft undercoat which may have a tendency to curl as it grows longer. If Crosbie has harsh top coat hairs and you want to keep this kind of coat you do need to stop shaving the coat and start hand stripping. Have a search on the Forum for grooming tips as there are many posts on this subject :)

Although you say Crosbie is ‘full bred’ has his breeder provided a verifiable pedigree going back over several generations? His colouring is non breed standard and it is possible that further back in his pedigree there was e.g. a poodle or similarly curly coated dog. It is thought that many decades ago, the poodle may have been among the breeds used to create the miniature schnauzer sizing down from the standard schnauzer and, more recently, cross breeding regularly occurs with many breeds being crossed with poodles. A DNA test might help reveal if there is a gene from another breed identifiable in Crosbie from further back than his immediate parents. Odd ‘throwback’ genes can occasionally affect only one pup from a litter.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/