Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Moussie
Puppy
First Name: Mary

Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia

Post by Moussie »

Hello everyone!
It's been a while since we last talked.

I usually used to write about Moussie's behavioral issues, but today I have a much more severe subject to discuss. Since she was 4 months old she had a few seizures that made us look for psysical problems except from her behavioral (reactivity).

We got her biopsy results that showed "Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia" (sometimes called portal vein hypoplasia) which is an inherited abnormality of the liver. In affected dogs, the microscopic blood vessels within the liver are underdeveloped or absent. This decreases blood flow within the liver, causing atrophy (decrease in size) of the liver and its cells.

I;d really like to read some of your experiences if you live with a dog with the same or similar disease. It's been difficult for us to accept that we can't control almost any aspect of her disease except from her diet and not knowing how many years left with her or how these years are going to be for her...
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Mary - I am so sorry to read about Moussie’s diagnosis. It may explain some of the issues you have raised about Moussie in previous posts. I have no experience of a puppy / dog with this condition so hope that some other Forum members will be able to offer you advice from their experience. You can help support the liver with some nutritional supplements which your vet may have advised you already:

“Hepatoprotective supplements (supplements intended to help protect the liver) are also used frequently in the management of microvascular dysplasia. Examples of commonly used hepatoprotectants include S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), vitamin E, Milk Thistle, and Ursodeoxycholic acid. These supplements are thought to decrease ongoing liver damage and help keep the remaining, functioning liver tissue healthy.“

From this link:
https://vcacanada.com/know-your-pet/hep ... lements%20(supplements%20intended%20to,Milk%20Thistle%2C%20and%20Ursodeoxycholic%20acid.

If you have not already told Moussie’s breeder about this diagnosis, do let them know as it is generally regarded as a hereditary condition and dogs with this issue and their parents should not be bred from again.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Moussie
Puppy
First Name: Mary

Re: Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia

Post by Moussie »

Thank you for your answer! We've started these kind of supplements since she was 4 months old and we'd never stopped. Of course I keep my eyes and ears open of anything that can help her.