Help! 14 week pup with bald patches on head

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Flou
Puppy
First Name: Faye

Help! 14 week pup with bald patches on head

Post by Flou »

Our Olive has just had her first puppy cut an the groomer found 3 patches on her head, 2 seem clear but one has round dark marks on it. They don't seem to be irritating her or hurting. The vet called in 3 others and none of the seemed to know what it was, in addition a couple of other breeders and groomers have never seen it before.
I checked with the lady we got her from and the rest of the litter don't have this, we have a 3 year old mini too and he's fine too.

Someone must know something here I'm hoping. She's on antibiotics for a week but I've already booked her in for a biopsy as it does look like it's improving. - my poor baby .....
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Help! 14 week pup with bald patches on head

Post by Dawnspell »

Do you have any pictures ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Flou
Puppy

Post by Flou »

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

They could possibly be warts but really the vets are the best people to diagnose this. I have never seen anything like this before but warts can be found in clusters on puppies and can be caused by a virus. If it is a virus causing these the antibiotics will be ineffective as they treat bacterial infections.
Hopefully the biopsy will help with the diagnosis but I would rely on the vets in this case to find the cause and help to clear the skin problem. It may not be anything serious even though it looks unsightly so try not to worry. Paws and fingers crossed that you get some answers very soon.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Where in the world are you ? That first photo reminds me of when something lays eggs under the skin and it swells up then larva pop out. I'm sure its not if youre in UK. Definitely needs biopsy, or skin scrapes. Very weird please post back when you find out what it is
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Flou
Puppy

Post by Flou »

Thank you both, I've had similar thoughts as you.

For reference, we're in the UK and she's only been going out for 2 weeks.

I will let you know what happens on Monday at the vets and again, appreciate you're input!

Thanks x
Flou
Puppy

Post by Flou »

Update: Olive had quite major surgery last week to have both lumps removed. The biopsy confirmed they were benign follicular cysts, we’ve learnt these can be congenital & schnauzers are predisposed to them (particularly in pups) on the head and midline. This isn’t something that can be tested for unless there’s a lump there. Needless to say we’ll be very vigilant in checking her from now on. The operation did get full clear margins so hopefully that’s the end of it. She’s been brilliant and very brave but really hate’s ‘The Cone’! Thanks for all your concern x
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Glad to hear that you have had a diagnosis and treatment to resolve the issue and hope Olive has a full recovery.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Thanks for reporting back, its always good to know for any others that may come on the forum. Wishing her a speedy recovery to get rid of the cone of shame :D
Our first family dog