Plaque Remover?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Ollybear
First Name: Gill

Plaque Remover?

Post by Ollybear »

Hi everyone!
Hope you are all OK.

My Minuature Schauzer- Olly - is 12 years old 1st June 2023.

He has quite a bit if plaque on a few teeth. He also gets bad breath at times, moreso recently.

Our vet suggested persevering with teeth cleaning.

I have tried to clean his teeth - trying many different methods which have resulted in a big "no way!".

I am getting quite concerned mainly due to his age.

There are so many different products out there I really don't know what to do.

Olly, like many Miniature Schnauzers can get quite anxious. Although he is quite stubborn too!

I love him so much and want him to continue being happy and healthy.

Love to you all
Ollybear
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Plaque Remover?

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome

Brushing is the best option but I feel your pain, Jasper also doesnt not like teeth brushing. I do give him plaque off but not convinced it does a great deal but it does have micro nutrients in it which are beneficial. Hes only got plaque on his canines his back teeth are fine from chewing on ostrich bone and raw meaty bones.

Just rubbing the enzymatic toothpaste on the teeth when you cant brush is better than not doing anything. You can get the fabric finger teeth cleaners so you can give the teeth a bit of a rub at the same time. It at least helps prevent a build up even if it doesnt get rid of whats there.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Agreed. Enzymic toothpaste, just applying with your finger can help. My minis prefer the poultry flavor over anything else. Honestly it's like a treat to them and they fight over who gets their teeth brushed first. Have you tried the poultry flavor?

I've seen the seaweed powder being recommended, not sure if it's the same as plaque off?

Supplenting a little raw food can help keep it away too and prevent further buildup.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Schnauzerluv wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 17:49 I've seen the seaweed powder being recommended, not sure if it's the same as plaque off?
More or less the same thing although I think it is one specific seaweed thats supposed to work and the powders dont always contain that one, just some seaweed.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"