Black Puppy Changing color

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Nicoeg
First Name: NICOLAS

Black Puppy Changing color

Post by Nicoeg »

Hello Guys,

My name is Nico and I have two beautiful Schnauzer dogs. One is Enzo, a 12 yr old Salt and Pepper, and the other is Walter, a 8 week black puppy.

I am writing this post because my puppy is starting to change color behind his ears. The puppy was completely black only 5 days ago. Can someone explain what is going on? He seems perfectly healthy and is in great playful mood.

I am posting two pictures so people with more experience can hopefully guide me as to what is going on with the color change.

Thank you guys.

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Black Puppy Changing color

Post by Dawnspell »

I would say that since he's been clipped that is his under coat growing back that can be a lot lighter in colour than the wire hair.

Some blacks can end up being grey from being clipped as they get older.

He's very cute, love the littlest beard
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Nicolas and welcome to the Forum :)

As Alison said above, clipping the hair will remove the topcoat and the colour of the undercoat will then be seen. A pure black miniature schnauzer can have a lighter shade of black as the undercoat colouring but seeing the large white chest patch and white beard hairs, it suggests that Walter is not a pure black miniature schnauzer and he may have a schnauzer of a different colour such as P&S in his pedigree or even possibly another breed in the past. His breeder may be able to advise as they should know the colouring of both parents and further back in his lines. With many dogs there can be variations in colouring that go back several generations. Puppies can often be much darker than their adult colouring in any event and as their puppy fluff is removed the adult coat will gradually take over.

However, Walter is very cute and I would not worry about his colour which just adds to his special look :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

My Ozzy has some lighter hairs behind the ears like Walters', although he is black and silver. It's not a silver color behind the ears, just a lighter black. My Lily is black and she also has lighter hairs behind the ears but her undercoat is more brownish. I'm not really hand stripping the hair on the ears, so I'm not surprised they take on the undercoat coloring. My two are not pure B&S or pure Black meaning their is S&P in their lineage somewhere. Lily had the white chest too, but it seems to have faded away (she is 8 months old).