Strange feeding behaviour

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Dillydally
Puppy
First Name: Carolyn
Dog #1: Bentley
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Strange feeding behaviour

Post by Dillydally »

One of my boys has recently developed some very strange behaviour when eating his food. Previously he would eat all of his food but now, after eating about 3/4 he will back away from the bowl as if he is scared of it and refuse to go back near it. I thought it maybe was something to do with the bowl so i have tried feeding him in many different bowls, plates, different colours, shapes etc but he steadfastly refuses to finish the food unless i scrape it onto the kitchen floor. As soon as it's on the floor he will eat it with gusto ! He will be 10 years old next month and is not showing any signs of odd behaviour regarding anything else.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Strange feeding behaviour

Post by zeta1454 »

Dogs do sometimes develop strange quirks of behaviour as they get older so it is most likely to be just that. You could have a vet check for him just to be reassured that there is nothing affecting him physically. Depending if you regularly visit the vet with him anyway, it can be useful to have a health check periodically with older dogs. We rarely visit the vets but do take our senior dogs for a blood screen and health check once they reach double figures and it can be a chance to mention any behaviour changes if need be.
As long as he is fit and well in other respects I would not worry too much - it does sound as though he has maybe got into a habit of doing this and I suppose if you don’t mind him finishing the food on the floor it won’t matter =))
I sometimes think we get trained by our dogs to fit in with their little ways and I love them for it…mostly :)) :ymdevil:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dillydally
Puppy
First Name: Carolyn
Dog #1: Bentley
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Re: Strange feeding behaviour

Post by Dillydally »

Yes he's definitely in charge . I don't think there is any underlying cause for the behaviour as he is very fit and well otherwise.