Biting a real problem with 18 week old

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Finley_23
First Name: Michelle

Biting a real problem with 18 week old

Post by Finley_23 »

Hi, I am new to the forum and wondered, what am i doing wrong. I have looked at members whoes puppies are 12 weeks old, but mine is now 18 weeks old.
He is a lovely boy, very social and quiet obedient for a puppy of that age and we love him to bits, the only issue we have is biting.
Finley has started, mainly at me, nipping me on the legs back and front and biting my hands and fingers, which is not a puppy nip, it hurts when he gets hold of you and can draw blood, he has also brusied me quiet a bit.
We have recently had a challenge getting him into our truck, which is high up so we have to lift him in. He is getting very big and heavy and think hes now taking a dislike to us lifting him in as he growls a bit.
I am very worried that he is now getting out of control a bit and need to stop this before it gets out of hand.
I have now spoken to a dog behaviorist who says it sounds as though he is being disrespectable to us and he needs some behaviour training at a boot camp. I dont want to let him away from us and is very upsetting. We have tried all the exclusions and nothing seems to be working, is there any advice please
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Biting a real problem with 18 week old

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi I've split your post to make a new one.

You havent said what size I'm presuming not a mini if hes getting heavy? Growling is him trying to communicate hes not happy, thats his warning before a nip or a bite to keep ignoring it wouldnt be good. Hes not being disrespectful he trying to tell you hes not comfortable with the situation.

The biting of legs in puppies is normally due to a combination of over arousal, being tired a puppy of that age should be sleeping at least 20 hours a day, or thinking something unpleasant is going to happen. Its normally if you are moving quickly too as that adds excitement. if you could give some examples of when the biting happens.

With regards to the truck could you use a step or a truck so he can climb in himself until he can jump in ? If hes not a mini youre probably not going to be picking him up anyway, bit tricky what to suggest with not knowing the eventual size.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"