Heart murmur in young mini

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
moustibo
First Name: Dubbo

Heart murmur in young mini

Post by moustibo »

Hi all,

our little mini boy, one year old, was recently diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur. Since he's probably too old for the 'innocent' type of murmur occasionally seen in puppies, and the murmur was never heard before in any check up, it's more likely to be serious. He's not showing any symptoms though - highly active (sometimes a little too much!). Also very tall for a MS and of healthy weight.

We booked him hin for a thorough scan at once, so we'll have a detailed diagnosis soon, but I was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience to share.

Thanks,
Moustibo
Sharky980
Puppy
First Name: Steve

Re: Heart murmur in young mini

Post by Sharky980 »

Hi my (mini)Molly had a similar murmur to yours and it was identified when she was very young the same as you, Molly got to a grand old age of 15 1/2 and the Murmur never gave her any issues.
That is from my experience anyway.
moustibo
First Name: Dubbo

Re: Heart murmur in young mini

Post by moustibo »

Hi,
Many thanks for sharing! Happy to hear that your MS lived a happy life even with a heart murmur - that is encouraging.
Cheers, Moustibo