Food for sensitive stomach and anal gland issues

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
TaniaC72
First Name: Tania

Food for sensitive stomach and anal gland issues

Post by TaniaC72 »

Hi
I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what to feed my miniature schnauzer. He is currently on Royal Canin hypoallergenic mix of dry and wet but is really not enthused by it. He has a very sensitive stomach and every few weeks needs his anal glands expressed. I would really like to change to a better diet as after much research feel the Royal Canin diet is not particularly a good one and he really doesn't like it anyway. I am at my whits end with what to change to next as have tried so many different healthy meat, sweet pot and veg variations but none seem to agree with him
Thank you
Tania
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Food for sensitive stomach and anal gland issues

Post by Dinkum »

Welcome to the forum. This was discussed recently in relation to pancreatitis, another ailment for schnauzers.

A raw diet would definitely be preferable over the RC diet. The firmer poo will also help with expressing the anal glands naturally. Raw food comes in many forms these days. From raw frozen trays like Nutriment to Pure dried raw, where you add water to the food. There is a great resource in allaboutdogfood.co.uk to see the various different types of food available. It may take a little trial and error to find one he likes.

viewtopic.php?t=25916
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
TaniaC72
First Name: Tania

Re: Food for sensitive stomach and anal gland issues

Post by TaniaC72 »

Thank you very much for your reply. I will take a look into the raw diet 👍😃