My baby is not herself.

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Diggerofdirt+
First Name: Carol

My baby is not herself.

Post by Diggerofdirt+ »

Hello everyone. My name is Carol and I have a 5-year-old miniature schnauzer, 13 lbs, spayed. She had shots recently, Bordetella, leptospirosis, and influenza. That was on the 18th. One shoulder was soar so used warm compresses on it. She was better the next day. eating well. She has some tarter build up, so they gave me a sample of Oravet, I gave it to her then the problems started. That evening she had to go bad and it was green slime and she's had the runs after that, vomiting the next day food she had eaten. The runs had gotten to the point to where she had the urge but nothing but drops of goo liquid and a little blood. Took sample to vets.Took her back to vets they gave her fluids and something to help settle her stomach. Can't remember what they gave her, and she is resting by me, so I don't want to bother her and go get the paperwork. Anyway, sent her home with Metronidazole and pro pectalin gel. Still not eating so she went yesterday for iv fluids and an appetite stimulator. They sent home a can of food yesterday and she ate maybe a couple spoon fulls but nothing today. So this morning I liquified the food, took her to the bathtub and fed her with a spoon. She has kept that down, peeing fine, small poops yesterday and today. They did blood work, and everything is fine. Is it normal for them to go into shock like this after having a bout with tummy issues. Every time I introduce food to her that head automatically goes toward her rear like she is waiting for the craps to start. usually she's all happy, bouncy can't wait to go outside and walk the property and look for bugs and chase them. She normally eats Hills Science diet for sensitive stomach and skin and on advantage for flea control and heart guard meds. Going back to vets today. We have been inside a lot for the past month, just too hot outside and she loves being outside. Do you think she is a little depressed as well about being cooped up. Usually plays with our cats but she just doesn't want too. She has never been one to play with toys either. Worried terribly about my baby,
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: My baby is not herself.

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Carol and welcome to the Forum :)

I am sorry to read about the distressing time you have been going through with your mini schnauzer.

It is impossible for anyone other than a vet to diagnose what may be causing the issues but they have given your girl a lot of pharmaceutical treatments which can lead to a number of issues with dogs over time. Knowing the cumulative effect of vaccines especially when given all together and the potential serious side effects of anti-parasite treatments, our dogs have minimal exposure after puppyhood. We do live in the U.K. and I assume you are in the USA(?) but it can be better to try and minimise the pharmaceutical treatments your mini is exposed to if you can as they do inevitably have unwanted effects on health.

I noticed that you mentioned heart guard medication and there are definitely adverse reactions known to be caused by some of these which they describe as ‘mild’ although I would not agree with that assessment!

“Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medication given to dogs to prevent heartworm disease and to treat various other parasite-related conditions like demodectic and sarcoptic mange, and ear mites.
The most common side effects of this drug are relatively mild and include:
 Vomiting
 Diarrhea
 Lack of appetite
 Lethargy”

The definitely more serious possible effects are:

“ Ivermectin has also been associated with a central nervous system event in some dogs which leads to loss of coordination, seizures, and in some cases, death.”

This link explains more:

https://www.healthypaws.on.ca/documents ... ffects.pdf

Advantage spot-on treatment which contains Ivermectin also carries risks as described by the manufacturer:

“ The product is bitter tasting and salivation may occa­sionally occur if the dog licks the application site immediately after treatment…..On very rare occasions skin reactions such as hair loss, redness, itching and skin lesions may occur. Agitation and disorientation has also been reported. Excessive salivation and nervous signs such as incoordination, tremors and depression have been reported exceptionally in dogs.
Oral ingestion may result in other gastrointestinal signs (vomiting and diarrhoea), which have been observed very rarely based on post-marketing data.”

As regards vaccines, we only give DHP to our puppies and then no more vaccines at all. The Leptospirosis vaccine is a short-lived and often ineffective vaccine which has also been known to cause serious adverse reactions and even death in some dogs so we don’t have that given to any of our dogs.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/r ... for-lepto/

We feed our dogs prepared raw meals from quality raw food for dogs companies and they have done very well on this over 15 years and we have found them to be healthy, parasite free and with good digestions as a result. We also do not use pharmaceuticals for parasite prevention and would only treat if there was a problem.

I do understand that circumstances may be different where you are living in terms of disease risk etc. however I would recommend maybe looking at whether you can stop giving some of the pharmaceutical treatments which either alone or together may be contributing to your little one’s sudden failing health. The weather may be a factor but it is unlikely to be the underlying cause of the serious digestive issues. It is good news that her blood work is fine and this event may be something she will bounce back from in time.

Hope things do pick up soon :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/