Milder worm tablets?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
al shookup

Milder worm tablets?

Post by al shookup »

I have two Mini Shnauzers, one is two and a half years and the other is fourteen and a half. Up to now, I have always used Drontal for worming but I am convinced that the last (normal) dosage left the younger one with a violent upset stomach. Can anyone recommend a milder make of tablets that do the job but don't upset their system?
I have been advised to try 'Milbemax' tablets as they are supposed to be friendlier. Any advice please?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Milder worm tablets?

Post by Dawnspell »

I did use Milbemax with our previous dog and had no issues but he wasnt one for upset stomach either.
You could try a more natural route by using something like Verm-X and do regular worm count tests. That way you are only giving chemicals if a test comes back positive.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

We only do periodic worm count tests on our dogs via the Wormcount veterinary lab here in the UK and have never had a need to use any chemical wormers. The current veterinary advice is not to use ‘blanket’ treatments and to test before prescribing a product for dogs who have a worm burden as unnecessary treatment can cause health issues* It may depend where you live as to whether there is a real risk of a dog contracting worms that would be a health problem for them but I would explore using natural worming products if you need to rather than pharmaceuticals.

* “Veterinary professionals should always take a risk-based approach to prescribing medicines, including parasiticides. They should avoid blanket treatment, and instead risk assess use of parasiticides for individual animals, taking into account animal, human and environmental health risks, in addition to lifestyle factors.”
From the BVA ‘Responsible Use of Parasiticides’
https://www.bva.co.uk/take-action/our-p ... -and-dogs/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
al shookup

Post by al shookup »

thanks to those who responded to my post. I have decided to go for something called CAZITEL in the end.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Glad to see that the marketing of this product (Cazitel) does at least warn that it should only be used if a dog is actually infected with a range of worms or known because of its lifestyle/diet to be at high risk. The more these products are used the less effective they become and are useless then when really needed and the greater risk to the health of the animal at the same time. It is a move in the right direction that this is highlighted in the hope that those prescribing / dosing a dog are reading the manufacturer guidance, of course

“Unnecessary use of antiparasitics or use deviating from the instructions given in the SPC may increase the resistance selection pressure and lead to reduced efficacy. The decision to use the product should be based on confirmation of the parasitic species and burden, or of the risk of infection based on its epidemiological features, for each individual animal.
In the absence of risk of co-infection with nematodes or cestodes, a narrow spectrum product should be used.”

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-4 ... _printview
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/