Puppy colour please......

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
KildarePuppy
First Name: Shirley

Puppy colour please......

Post by KildarePuppy »

Hi, this is Charlie, our beautiful 10 week old Miniature schnauzer. Can someone please tell me his colour?? I am concerned his beard area is black, will this change to a lighter colour? Despite numerous searching online, I rarely find adult Miniature schnauzers with a black beard.
We absolutely love him and he is so intelligent. I just want to be sure he is indeed a pure breed, as we have been told.
Thank you.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Puppy colour please......

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome
He's pepper and salt. Dont worry about the beard, you see round his nose and chin hes starting to get lighter area. That will spread out as his coat grows. Having said that he's got quite a dark coat so he'll probably never have a very prominent white beard.

He looks as though he has a good coat for stripping if you want to keep his dark body colour. If clipped he will become the colour of the undercoat that you see if you part his hair to see the skin.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Pepper & Salt miniature schnauzer puppies can be quite a different colour when they are very young and once they mature and their coat is either stripped out or clipped, their look can change dramatically. Some do however have a darker beard area than others and this need not necessarily mean they are not purebred miniature schnauzers. If you have Charlie’s registration papers and have seen his mother and possibly also his father you may have an idea of the colouring he is likely to be. Some P&S minis have a very light undercoat and, if they are clipped rather than hand stripped will end up very pale colouring all over. Others remain much darker. Hand stripping is the best way to be certain of retaining the colouring.

These 2 photos show one of our minis as a young puppy and as as an adult and, as you can see, her colouring did change as she matured. She has been hand stripped although this would not affect the beard only the jacket.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your new puppy, as they are a super breed. I agree with what the others have said. will try & post a photo of my boy Gino who will be 7 later this year.

Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
KildarePuppy
First Name: Shirley

Post by KildarePuppy »

Thank you all for your replies to my question. It is very reassuring to hear from Miniature Schnauzer owners who have first hand experience.
Charlie continues to melt my heart and make me smile.