should I expect eye testing for my puppy from breeder?

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
jellybean123
First Name: emily

should I expect eye testing for my puppy from breeder?

Post by jellybean123 »

Hi, Can any one tell me if it's common place that miniature schnauzer pups are eyes tested before leaving their breeder? Can anyone offer advice?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: should I expect eye testing for my puppy from breeder?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi - yes it certainly is accepted and important that miniature schnauzer puppies are eye screened by a BVA vet before leaving for new homes. The test is carried out on the whole litter at about 6-7 weeks of age and will be for Congenital Hereditary Cataracts and any other eye issue generally. A certificate should be issued and the individual puppy’s result marked on a copy given to the new owners. Copies of the eye screening results for both parent dogs carried out in the previous 12 months or so should also be included in the Puppy Pack as the adult test covers more issues than the one for the puppies.

No responsible breeder will be neglecting doing the eye testing on puppies and the parent dogs which should be in the 12 months before breeding and is mandatory for breeders on the Assured Breeder Scheme. I have included two links to previous topics on the Forum which give some guidance on avoiding irresponsible breeders and in the 8 week Puppy Life linked topic you will see details on the Week 6-7 post with photos of the eye screening and a certificate for a puppy litter. Hope this helps :)

viewtopic.php?p=292611&hilit=Eye+screening#p292611

viewtopic.php?p=283063&hilit=Eye+screening#p283063
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/