How long does it take?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
yashokumar
Puppy

How long does it take?

Post by yashokumar »

Happy new year
Question for Snazy and other grooming experts.
How long does it take to strip a giant schnauzer?
Also when the leg furnishings are luxuriant ( and forming knots easily!) is it OK to use the coatking to remove some of the hair?
Also in show dogs do you leave a monobrow? seems like the ones I have seen in the ring such as the reisenheim ones seem to be having a monobrow.
If you were to strip down to the skin how do you go about it? is it a case of continuing until all of it is gone in a spot or do you do it all over?
Have got a DVD on grooming and the lady advocates an all over strip (minis are what she deals with) but have found other sites saying it should be patterned.

so many questions...!

Thanks
Yash
Yash
snazy

Re: How long does it take?

Post by snazy »

Question for Snazy and other grooming experts.
How long does it take to strip a giant schnauzer? Depends! Size of dog, texture of coat, whether it has been rolled or just left for several months...

Also when the leg furnishings are luxuriant ( and forming knots easily!) is it OK to use the coatking to remove some of the hair? You could, or you could trim the hair right back or strip the hair, run through with a fine knife so the hair gets coarser and less likely to knot or you could use a grooming spray and condition well when you wash the legs. Depends what look you want and lifestyle

Also in show dogs do you leave a monobrow? seems like the ones I have seen in the ring such as the reisenheim ones seem to be having a monobrow. My reisenheim has 2 long eyebrows, some do have the single brow, especially those who are also shown on the continent, depends what suits the shape of your dogs head. Over here the 2 brows is the more conventional look.

If you were to strip down to the skin how do you go about it? is it a case of continuing until all of it is gone in a spot or do you do it all over?

I would work a large section, concentrating on one area is more likely to damage and hurt the skin. You don't have to take the coat right out on a giant. With mine I tend to do a half strip, taking out the coat to the point where it looks a bit thin and then start to pull some more out each week, within a month or 2 (depending on what you were doing to the coat before and the rate of growth normally) the new coat will come in.

If you have a soft coated dog with lots of undercoat you can take right down to the skin, it would be a long process and the undercoat tends not to grow back as fast, which would leave the dog with an open coat which isn't that weather proof.

Have got a DVD on grooming and the lady advocates an all over strip (minis are what she deals with) but have found other sites saying it should be patterned.

Depends!! on a pet there is no harm in taking it all out in one go. Section strips are good on show dogs because we may want to leave the coat longer in some sections, eg to fill in a dip in the top line, to create height over the withers or more crest to the neck and to have it shorter in some areas, to keep the shoulders smooth and to show off the neck better. Section stripping means that you will take out eg, the centre of the back a week - 10 days before the area around it so that the first area will be longer.
yashokumar
Puppy

Thanks

Post by yashokumar »

Thanks Snazy
Very helpful...cheers.
I intend to lightly show my lad and hence the queries as I did get a few lessons in hand stripping from an experienced lady but she lives a long way off for me to get regular advice. Felt I should start to do it myself, I have just been brushing him daily and carding him and using the coatking occasionally ( was told that coat king ruins show coats! but it is much easier). I do a bit of stripping using the fine version of the stripping knife but its usually to just keep the coat under control than anything else. I am keen to get him into a proper show coat and hence why I was asking about the time it would take.
Thanks
Yash
Yash
snazy

Post by snazy »

To get the body coat into a show condition I would start to roll the coat, on a weekly basis just go over the whole dog and remove some of the longer coat. This will mean the dog then starts to grow some new coat in at different lengths ( due to age). How long this will take depends on what state the coat is currently in and how fast the coat grows, some grow quicker then others and if the coat has been left a while it might be in a 'rest' phase as the coat doesn't grow all the time at a consistent rate.

By rolling the coat now you should be able to get him into a showable coat quicker then if you take the whole lot out. Once you are at a show with breed classes on, someone will be able to give you some more pointers when they can see the actual dog.
yashokumar
Puppy

Thanks

Post by yashokumar »

[quote="snazy"]To get the body coat into a show condition I would start to roll the coat, on a weekly basis
...I have tried doing something like that but seem to have got it a bit out of sync and some seems longer and doesn't seem to lie flat and some seems to be curly
How short should the hair be? May I post a pix and seek your advice, thanks.
Yash
snazy

Post by snazy »

Post away with the pix.

Most coats are between 1 -2 inches, some dogs can take a slightly longer coat, so long as the texture is there, some coats can go a bit wavy and need more work and kept shorter.

Can you get to one of the breed club events? Might be easier to give some hands on advice.
yashokumar
Puppy

pics

Post by yashokumar »

Thanks Snazy

this is the link. Not familiar with photobucket as am occasional user hopefully the link works

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/y ... ger_07.jpg

I am in Aberdeen and tend to stick to the shows around here.

Yash
PS: could you plz PM me your email as it would be easier to contact you.
Yash
snazy

Post by snazy »

just press the email button at the bottom of my replies to email me.

With that coat, I would strip it all out and the rake, rake, rake the coat as much as possible a couple of times a week at least, this will help to straighten the coat as much as possible, keep the coat as short as you can and stop using the coat king on it!
yashokumar
Puppy

Thanks

Post by yashokumar »

Thanks for the prompt replies Snazy.
Do find the coat king easier to use... :-)
Will take your advice and keep raking( I take it with a stripping knife),
what are the stripping stones and will they be able to do the same job?
How long will it be for me to strip him down (approx?) and can i do it over a few days?
Thanks
Yash
Yash
snazy

Post by snazy »

It will prob take a few hours to strip him, depends!! :wink: :wink:

yes, you can do this over a few days but don't leave more then about 7 days between working on one area and the next or you might get a step in the new coat.

Coat kings cut the coat and this can cause the coat to curl (same affect when you clip a coat!!) stripping and raking encorage the coat to grow in straighter (though you can't fight genetics on this one!!)

Stripping stones are basically a pumice block, best used for removing the last bits of undercoat after a strip. They work better when wet or when you have the dog shampood in the bath. They will easily graze the skin. Not something that gets used on my giants.

There are no short cuts to doing the job properly :wink:
yashokumar
Puppy

Thanks

Post by yashokumar »

Thanks Snazy. Wasn't able to log in for a long while.
Cheers
Yash
Yash