Mookie's progress

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Mookie's progress

Post by Sianny »

mookie&me wrote:
puppypower wrote:so nice to hear how well Mookie is doing in her training as she is only a little younger than Jasper born on the 4th April 09 he seems to have imporved after some tricky times running up to 1, it sounds like you have put in lot of effort and been well rewarded for it. I have not put in time so much as worked on my energy and staying calm and confident if I get angry or upset or he thinks I don't mean what I say 100% he won't listen or respond at all, in his mind Ive lost it and he is in command. Of course Mookie being a girl does help a great deal lol (giggle)
I have to say that from about 8 to 12 months (looking back) Mookie tested my patience quite a lot. I lost it a few times and she picked up on that. I know exactly what you mean and how you felt (crying) . What turned the corner for me was going to training again (I was waiting for a good one to start) along with the treats, sound and consistent training when we're out. I'm a lot more confident in her and she in me. If you read any of Joni's posts about Dylan, her rescue giant, I think you'll see the changes in him accelerated from her going back to her training classes too. It's like they know that something is expected of them, and not just to come back in the park..

The progress Mookie's made has brought us closer and I really enjoy the training, whereas back in the autumn when I attended another course I thought it was all a bit manic and the dogs didn't learn much. Part of that is the training class, and part of it is the maturity of the dog. I couldn't have been teaching a down/stay with Mookie at 4 months as she would have been more interested in the other puppies, but now she and I have grown to understand each other more, we work much better.

Sorry for a rambly post, but I just wanted to reassure you that I went through the stage with Mookie where she knew my command but worked out whether there was anything in it for her, rather than simply responding. It drove me mad and she knew it - not happy times in the Mookie household!
I could not agree more - Ralphy picks up things better at a more mature age too.
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
on-the-coast

Re: Mookie's progress

Post by on-the-coast »

congratulations, Mookie!!
Good thread this is....helps me with a reality check
I wonder what it is like to own a GSD or a Labrador even.

the click- click is a good idea....the whistle, too.... we have a beach issue to deal with and on our farm...well, there are places to go.
thanks for a brilliant conversation here, guys
Astrid
1 Standard + 1 mini + 2 humans = a cocktail for a good life
http://www.rightnowyoga.blogspot.com