Limpy dog....

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Captain Chaos

Limpy dog....

Post by Captain Chaos »

Poor Tulesi is a bit limpy on her back leg. It started yesterday, and it is when she gets up from lying down. Once she has walked about a little it eases. She hasn't broken anything, I think she has pulled a muscle. Any ideas as to how I can help ease her discomfort? I have brought her bed downstairs which is an off the ground bed, so easier for her to lie down on than the floor. I was going to lead walk her tomorrow, too because today she ran about like a thing possessed (she wasn't limping on the walk as she had loosened up). Does anyone know how much asprin is the right dose for a Giant? NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SAY THE WORD ARTHRITUS, OK????? Let me be in denial a couple more days. (confused)
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
lysander
Puppy

Re: Limpy dog....

Post by lysander »

Poor Tula. Duke had times when he was a bit stiff if he'd been lying for a while, but it came and went. When it first started I thought it was just a sign of him getting older, but then it would go away for ages. Maybe she's just overdone it and pulled a muscle. Hope so.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

This happens to Jessie occasionally, she gets that almighty pitiful look on her face which she KNOWS gets her cwtches. I don't know much about asprin, sorry! When I worked in H&B lots of old people wearing sports gear used to go on and on about Glucosamine and Chondroitin, I wonder if vets prescribe that as a long term complimentary health suppliment?
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

She's already on that....although she is a master at finding it buried in her food and managing to eat all her food and leave the tablet in the middle of the empty dish......clever trick given the size of her beard.
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back it was probably a Giant Schnauzer...*sigh*
Downtrodden former owner of 2 Giants, the fabulous Tula Bear & very naughty Minxster - Minxsters blog: http://minxstergiant.blogspot.com/ )
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Ohh what a darling! lol
Btw, long term complimentary health suppliment is not something I can say in real life ;)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
august23

Post by august23 »

Poor Tula, I will send Otts to rub her leg if Minxster doesn't mind. When Connie had a limp she was on Metacam for ten days, & lead walking only. It did the trick. Good luck.
Otto Black Standard
Ruby Black Mini
Joni

Post by Joni »

When Dylan has done a lot of running he gets very limpy. I give half a paracetamol - I think you can give a full one, I have always been a bit wimpy.

Do you give cod liver oil tablets and glucosamine with food? We do and convince ourselves that it helps.

Lead walking helps, as we notice a difference between days Dyl is on and off lead, although he has a hip problem I suspect the same applies.

Hope Tula gets better soon.
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Archie can have a whole paracetamol, so I would think it won't do Tula any harm.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

After a good sleep she seems considerably better today - I have lead walked her which went down very badly with The Tula Bear, but she is now sulking on her sofa so I will keep an eye to see if the improvement continues.
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

It's come back again.....I am very confused. She was fine, she went out for her walk, all was absolutely as normal, then at 2ish she got off her sofa (gently) after a nap and her back leg was stiff again.......it was the afternoon she had problems yesterday, too......this is all a bit odd. Again, she can walk it off. I will give it a couple of days and if it keeps happening I will take her to the vet.
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I know you didn't want to hear this, but to me is most certainly sounds like a.......is, sorry. Lizzie has osteoa....is and her right hind leg is worse then the left one. She has carthrofen jab once a month and she hasn't been lame for a long time [she was reall bad]. I would suggest that you put her on some glucosamine and chondroitin, but be a bit careful with cod liver oil cause a wrong dose of it will do more bad than good. Is she insured?
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

I've got Henry on Joint Aid for dogs as it's got chondritin, glucosamine, msm and other stuff in it and it's little pellets so it's harder to leave in their bowl, He had intermittant stiffness on waking and this seems to be doing the trick. He's on a half of the recommended dose then I up the dose when its wet and cold.
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Yep, but my Glucosamin Chondroitin is from Wilkinsons and about £3 for 90...... having said that, there is a company locally to be called "Healthy Paws" who have just given me a herbal supplement you can give to dogs....it looks really good in terms of the content but a little pricy http://healthypaws.co.uk/shop/product_i ... c1d0f42b93
Captain Chaos

Post by Captain Chaos »

Tules has had to go to the vet - just a tip - because the symptom is not constant, I videoed it on my camera which was very useful in terms of the vet being able to see the problem! Tula, of course, was not going to limp in front of the vet, that would be far too easy.
Anyhooo, first stop is anti infammatories (which means it could be A.......... hrmph) and she is not allowed out to walk for a week. Then we will look at it again and see how she is. Actually since she had the anti infammatories she has been a pain in the ass running around, playing with Minx's toys, etc, so I presume she does feel a little better on it.
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

They never do the behaviour at the vets, good idea taking a video. I hope he heals with the anti-inflammatories.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine