Arnold - aged 12 - collapsed larynx

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
wazzockmum
First Name: Suzanne
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 14 Nov 1998
Dog #2: Archibald
Born: 08 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Alfie
Born: 16 May 2010

Arnold - aged 12 - collapsed larynx

Post by wazzockmum »

I have a 12 yr old GS - he had his spleen removed in May 2010 due to splenic mast cell tumours - no doubt they will be back and take him like my last one ( aged 9 1/2) so I know the clock is ticking.

The problem is that he also suffered a collapsed larynx this year - this basically means that at times he finds it hard to breathe. Very common in horses this can be rectified by a tie-back operation. The dilemma is that because of his lost spleen and general age it may be a big op to get him through (if at all). So far I have chosen to manage this through careful exercise - very gentle and not in the heat, but at times he really struggles and has to stop on walks for a breather. I now walk behind him all the time so as not to put him under pressure and the younger 2 ( 4 and 6mths) run off an play and chase rabbits so are not hampered at all by this.

Wondered if anyomne else had had to manage this condition and how they coped? Any tips??
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin

Re: Arnold - aged 12 - collapsed larynx

Post by henrys mum »

Hope you get some tips, haven't seen this in dogs but like you said seen it in horses. How about taking him out seperately so he can go at his own pace and isn't trying to keep up with the youngsters? They might benefit from a faster/longer walk?
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
wazzockmum

Post by wazzockmum »

I do take the other 2 out on their own - sometimes Archie (4) comes riding with me and Alfie (6mths) stays home with Arnie.

I am not so worried about how much exercise the other 2 get - they are outside all day long playing in our fields and they all get one 20min walk and one hours walk a day ( now a ta slow pace as said before). I just feel bad that I cannot help Arnie more - I wonder if I should put him though the op - the problem is of course the risk.
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

ahh it must be distressing when he struggles for breath - I havent heard of this condition before - maybe if you discuss this further with your vet, ie will it work, how long will the surgery take etc, to weigh up whether you should choose to operate. Sounds to me that you love and care about him very much, so this decision will be a tough one. if it was me? well, I think if it was going to make his breathing more comfortable, I may plump to go ahead, but thats very easy for me to say because I dont have to make that choice. good luck x
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

if it was me i would imagine (as its easier to say when you not in the situation) I would staay as you are, just trying to manage it. He's reached a good age at 12, I wonder if its not better to let him live out his life however long it maybe without the risk of the op and if on the most part he's not in pain or discomfort I would be inclined to leave it but of course this is just my thinking, like I say I'm not in your position and I can understand it a hard position to be in!
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Bless you, I haven't any advice but wanted to say you will know the right thing to do, go with your gut instinct, sending hugs and positive thoughts.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
wazzockmum

Post by wazzockmum »

Well what a coincidence today! Met a retired surgeon walking in the forest who also had a dog (15yr old mongrel bitch) with this condition. he had managed it for 18mths - used same vet as me and had concluded using his surgeons experience of operating that it really is not only not worth the risk but although initially successfull likely to degenerate quickly due to aging cartilige.

So decision made really - thanks for your comments - we just need to manage this carefully and not put him under pressure, stop often and walk at his pace.
black beard
First Name: Donna
Dog #1: Heidi
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Dita
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 28 Jun 2011
Dog #3: Ruddi
Born: 21 Apr 2013
is a: Black Std Dog

Post by black beard »

Can't beat the voice of experience. For what it's worth I would do the same, Arnold is a lucky boy to be in such a loving family and will enjoy all the time he has with you and his younger 'brothers' :) x
Heidi: Black Standard born 16/3/10
Dita: Black Standard born 28/6/11
Ruddi: Black Standard born 21/4/13
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin

Post by henrys mum »

Sounds like a good plan :) Good owners always worry if they've made the best decision for their dogs because they love them so much. You're doing all you can for him and in his best interests, no-one could ask for more :)
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
wazzockmum

Post by wazzockmum »

Quick update - Arnold is still with us - now 13 1/2 years old!

chronic Degenerative myleopathy - but still walking!!
Collapsed larynx - but still breathing!
No spleen - and no retunr of tumours (yet) !!

Lovin every day with my old boy and he still walks 1 hour a day with the other two!!
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
Dog #2: Fingal

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

Good boy Arnold! Enjoy every day!!
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

well good old arnold - and what a testament he is to you to still be going strong!
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

Well done for keeping him well and he is a great age now. Arnold my gang send loads of schnauzer kisses and hugs :ymhug:
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011