Found a lump

Feeding, training and healthcare for our older furry bearded friends.
Stacey100

Found a lump

Post by Stacey100 »

Hi All

I don't post much on here anymore but I need a little advice, mostly reassurance actually if I am honest.

I found a lump on Murf yesterday, he is about 12 1/2 now, it's on his off-side flank quite high up, feels like a marble sized lump, squishy but slightly firm and it seems to move about slightly when handled. It's not hurting him and he is full of beans, but I had a fright when I found it and I am scared now. He is booked in with the vet Wedneday but has anybody got any experience of this sort of thing, not ready for this at all. :-s
If there are no dogs in Heaven,then when I die I want to go where they went.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: Found a lump

Post by Sianny »

Hello my lovely!

I'm not much use here I'm afraid but I know how scary the unknown can be for anyone so I will wait with you for Wednesday. I know someone will be along soon with some past experience. :ymhug:
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Jasmine had quite a few lumps over her lifetime, she had one that sounds similar on her chest and it turned out to be a harmless lipoma as were the others.

I'm sure this will turn out similar but glad you're getting the vet to check. Good luck Wednesday.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

Thought I would answer this...my dog jetson at about 13developed these lumps under his armpits and on his side..firmish fatty lumps completely harmless and due to his age... By the time he died at 16 he had about 5 on his sides never bigger than a 50pence piece..hope your vet finds the same with your dog and good luck.
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Bluebell
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Bluebell
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 20 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Basil
is a: Black Std Dog
Born: 28 Nov 2012

Post by Bluebell »

My old girl had quite a few lumps and bumps. I would say you make your own decisions. We had a couple removed (at the vets suggestion) but then decided if she wasn't in pain to live with them because frankly if it was a worse case scenario what's the point of having them constantly removed as each op was a risk at her age. Sorry its not helpful. I guess each lump is different but Poppy did have quite a few fatty lumps that were nothing to worry about as well. I think the fatty lumps are usually found in certain places.

I used to have to ask her groomers to be careful and they said its usual for an old dog to be like this.

Good luck on Wednesday.
Poppy: p&s standard 27.4.99 - 13.9.10
Bluebell: black standard 20.10.10
Basil: black standard 28.11.12
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

All the best for wednesday, hope they are harmless...good to hear Murfs on top form otherwise! :-h
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

My old boy started developing fatty lumps at about that age, you could get your fingers around them, he also developed a large lump right on top of his hip joint which was hard and very different to the others. We always got the vets to check it and they used to measure it each time but there was no way I would have had it operated on at that age. They said that they could take a needle aspiration but I chose to leave well alone. It did get bigger and spread across to the other hip but he managed to live very successfully with it for another two years. It sounds to me like Murf has got the fatty lumps but good luck for Wednesday and let us know how you get on.
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014
is a: P/S Mini Bitch

Post by summer46 »

Our vet always says as long as they do not feel attached to anything and you can move them around and are fairly squishy then they are usually nothing too sinister but always best to get them checked out.

Summer had a lump on her shoulder the size of a pea a couple of months ago i kept my eye on it to make sure it did not get any bigger the last.time i checked it had vanished
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
montykins

Post by montykins »

About two years ago Molly had lumps, the vet said that most of them were just fatty
lumps, one he was concerned about so had her operated on, turned out fine.
However I found another one the other day, so am keeping a watch on it but am relucant
to do anything as I don't want her to have aother aneasethic.
I'm sure every thing will turn out fine.
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

Always best to get lumps checked out with the vet - hope all goes ok with Murf.
We took Zack to the vets about a month ago as I found 2 lumps on his chest area.
(Zack will be 11yrs old in June) - the vet also said that generally if the "lump" moves around it is usually a fatty lump. - she did use a needle to extract some fluid from one of the lumps - and after examining it under the microscope said that the lump was just fatty tissue - and that unless the lumps became bigger and interferred with his walking, all should be ok.
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Fingal

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

Sounds like fatty lump from your description, hope it is.
Anyway, you'll find out more when you visit the vets.
Best of luck, try not to worry. Old dogs often have fatty lumps, and even if it wasn't one, it can easily be removed if is is "loose". Fatty lumps generally do not need to be removed.
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

Thanks everyone, nice to hear that this sort of this can be just harmless but it's the first I have found so gave me a fright. Fingers crossed it is nothing more than a fatty lump then due to his age, I will update once he has been to the vet.
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin

Post by henrys mum »

Lumps do frighten you! Henry had a couple that I thought were fatty lumps so didn't get each one checked but then a different sqidgy one appeared so off we went to the vets. It turns out that they're all fatty lumps so nothing to worry about. The vet did needle aspirations of all of them and one looked different so was sent off for analysis. That came back ok (fatty lump). If it's not bothering him it's probably ok but best checked :)
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

How did Murf get on Stacey?
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Stacey100

Post by Stacey100 »

Hiya

Not sure yet, waiting for a call with the results. Murf had to have a biopsy? is that the word? The vet seemed pretty un-concerned though so I am feeling less anxious about it now.

Plus I make sure Murf has a blood test every 6 months to check him over and they didn't find any abnormalities when I had it done 3 months ago so I am hoping it is just a 'fatty lump' I'll let you know.x