Flying Ears

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Lotties Ma
First Name: Marie
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Flying Ears

Post by Lotties Ma »

Hi,
This is lottie, she is almost 6 months old. She is very cute but does fly her ears sometimes one at a time but following her second clipping they are both flying. :( She is in season and has all her teeth, does anyone have any experience of this problem? I'm concerned that she is almost of the age when this is how they will stay.

Steffi crossed the rainbow bridge 05.08.11
Thank you for the years of joy.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Flying Ears

Post by Dinkum »

She's gorgeous and she has a new phone. Rupert is impressed.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

Yes, she loves her new phone and can't wait to call all her schnauzer pals just as soon as she's learned her numbers!
Does anyone know how to get a cute little photo on the left hand panel?
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Have you tried taping them?
Guinevere
First Name: Sharon
Dog #1: Arthur
Born: 28 Dec 2009

Post by Guinevere »

Your in good company. :D
Arthur is swooning
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Those ears look too far gone if you ask me, from what I've seen/been told by from other breeders, you can really only tape/glue if they're just lifting. If they're going to go, they're going to go. She looks like she is going to go, and the weight of the hair gone will mean they're lighter and more likely to fly. You can tape them if you'd like to see if they'll stay down, but I think they just look too high now. I'm not an experienced breeder though!

Take a look at http://www.britmorschnauzers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under the ear cropping article; there's a part about ear taping that I followed when I thought my bitch's ears were going to fly. Luckily they haven't since I taped them a couple of times but that was at about 4 months.
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

daisys_mummy wrote:Have you tried taping them?
Yes several times but this is the worst they have been. The are taped down now. Funny thing is they were perfect yesterday before the grooming.
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

Keep them tape whilst she's in season, could be making them lift.

Daisy flew after here first grooming, but they're perfect now, but Bethy's right, at 6 months they're a bit more set...

Fingers crossed!
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

I cannot say whether being in season would affect her ears but if her adult teeth are in and they are still like this when she has finished her season then they will stay that way and taping or glueing is unlikely to make any difference.

Ears tend to fly if the leather of the ears are too thin and during the teething process the calcium levels are used up which causes the ears to do strange things. After teething the ears start to set into their final position. The best time to set ears is usually between 8-16 weeks.

There are a few forum members on here who have dogs with these type of ears and i am sure most will agree it adds to their character.

She is very sweet no matter what her ears decide to do :)
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

I think she's beautiful :D
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

Take a look at this what I posted only last month about my little girl whose ears were perfect until recently
http://www.schnauzer-forum.co.uk/viewto ... Ear+Flying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

I think she looks beautiful - very sweet and full of character :)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

summer46 wrote:I cannot say whether being in season would affect her ears but if her adult teeth are in and they are still like this when she has finished her season then they will stay that way and taping or glueing is unlikely to make any difference.

Ears tend to fly if the leather of the ears are too thin and during the teething process the calcium levels are used up which causes the ears to do strange things. After teething the ears start to set into their final position. The best time to set ears is usually between 8-16 weeks.

There are a few forum members on here who have dogs with these type of ears and i am sure most will agree it adds to their character.

She is very sweet no matter what her ears decide to do :)
Thank you, Sarah for your advice, I know you're right she does look sweet but must say that I hope the taping helps to calm them a bit. She is still growing back teeth so there may be a glimmer of hope. Your little dog is gorgeous. :o3 She reminds me of Steffi, my previous schnauzer who died last year aged 15 plus. :-s
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

hula-hoop wrote:I think she looks beautiful - very sweet and full of character :)
Thank you, but look at Stanley he is STUNNING!
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

Lotties ears are much better as you can see, needed a little help with a dab of glue. Am still massaging and hoping they will settle permanently. :)