Flying Ears

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Tulip

Re: Flying Ears

Post by Tulip »

Doesn't she look lovely!
Morroni2001

Post by Morroni2001 »

I love the ears! very cute!
Cris
Mash & Sox - S & P mini born 12 &14/12/09
Lotties Ma
First Name: Marie
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Oct 2011

Post by Lotties Ma »

Yes, they look so much better. Now we have to hope that they will settle as she finishes teething.
Steffi crossed the rainbow bridge 05.08.11
Thank you for the years of joy.
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

Tulip wrote:Doesn't she look lovely!
'The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.' :p
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

Glad the glue and massage seems to be doing the job :-bd
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

Yes, and even better is the fact that she has scratched the blob of glue off one of her ears and it has remained perfect. Feeling more optimistic now. :-bd
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Wow they look a lot different!! how did you manage that?

She looks like she has a massive smile on her face in that second picture! :x
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Claire Farrington
First Name: Claire

Post by Claire Farrington »

I might seem a bit thick but what glue would you use for this. I never taped my Jillys ear because I knew there was no way the tape would stay on with the way my two bundle and I didn't want to risk Jilly the Hog eating the tape :)
Properly Trained a man can be a dog's best friend

Sydney (Deansgate) gone to the Rainbow Bridge 19/04/2011 - Run free my little man
Jack (Silversocks Spot On) s/p mini born 10/04/2011
Jill (Silversocks Shana) s/p mini born 11/05/2011
Lotties Ma

Post by Lotties Ma »

I used copydex to glue. Put a blob on the ear in the corner/corners or on the fold using a cotton bud. Hold for a moment and the ear stays in place. The glue does come off as the fur grows. An ice cube helps to break it up if you need to snip it out. However it will come off during grooming. Lotties ear which came unstuck is still perfect.

Try ~ http://www.britmorschnauzers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a feeling I learned about glueing on this website. If not it is certainly on the internet somewhere. :-*
Frederickdawg
First Name: Freddy
Dog #1: Tobias
Born: 07 Jul 2021

Post by Frederickdawg »

summer46 wrote: 04 Apr 2012, 22:41 I cannot say whether being in season would affect her ears but if her adult teeth are in and they are still like this when she has finished her season then they will stay that way and taping or glueing is unlikely to make any difference.

Ears tend to fly if the leather of the ears are too thin and during the teething process the calcium levels are used up which causes the ears to do strange things. After teething the ears start to set into their final position. The best time to set ears is usually between 8-16 weeks.

There are a few forum members on here who have dogs with these type of ears and i am sure most will agree it adds to their character.

She is very sweet no matter what her ears decide to do :)
Not sure I understand this , best to set ears between 8-16 weeks ? What happens if their ears are fine during the 8-16 week period ? Meaning floppy.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Limeybastard wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:50
summer46 wrote: 04 Apr 2012, 22:41 I cannot say whether being in season would affect her ears but if her adult teeth are in and they are still like this when she has finished her season then they will stay that way and taping or glueing is unlikely to make any difference.

Ears tend to fly if the leather of the ears are too thin and during the teething process the calcium levels are used up which causes the ears to do strange things. After teething the ears start to set into their final position. The best time to set ears is usually between 8-16 weeks.

There are a few forum members on here who have dogs with these type of ears and i am sure most will agree it adds to their character.

Not sure I understand this , best to set ears between 8-16 weeks ? What happens if their ears are fine during the 8-16 week period ? Meaning floppy.
If the ears are floppy and flat to the head then they are very unlikely to fly away.
Jasper was around 11 weeks in this photo as you can see his ears are animated and away from his head =)) A person wanting to show would have been gluing them down at this point.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Dawnspell wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:01
Limeybastard wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 22:50

If the ears are floppy and flat to the head then they are very unlikely to fly away.
Jasper was around 11 weeks in this photo as you can see his ears are animated and away from his head =)) A person wanting to show would have been gluing them down at this point.
What a gorgeous fella . Tobias is going on 16 weeks next Wednesday. His ears occasionally fold inside out when sleeping. But are floppy when awake and active , although one does sometimes point to the left occasionally. We’ll see. One thing I’ve learned with a loss of a dog is that I’d sooner be enjoying our short lived times than fuss too much over the smaller things.
Female black and silver mini born 15.1.14. Gone way too soon. RIP my sweet darling Sept 28 2021 😭 we'll never forgot Cleo. You left a hole in our hearts.

Male black and silver mini born 7.7.21, you naughty boy Tobias. :p “time for jail “. ( crate ).
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

From the photos I've seen of Tobias he looks as though hes going to have perfect ear set. I wouldnt change Jaspers ears they're a bit wild and unpredictable and fit his character =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Frederickdawg

Post by Frederickdawg »

Dawnspell wrote: 22 Oct 2021, 10:04 From the photos I've seen of Tobias he looks as though hes going to have perfect ear set. I wouldnt change Jaspers ears they're a bit wild and unpredictable and fit his character =))
When he sleeps. This is what it looks like sometimes.

Cococola
First Name: Zelna

Post by Cococola »

So, I have glued Calua's ears down and left it for 6 days (that vet who said 4 days, knew what he was talking about in one of the posts) :-)
She went from fluffy puppy, to super bunny, to serious floppy ear girl!