Simplied navigation

Any changes or interruptions to the regular service will be posted here.
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Simplied navigation

Post by Dinkum »

It's a bank holiday Monday and a start of a new month and I'm spending the day tinkering with the forum. As usual I hear. :D

I've been looking at the navigation and layout of the site to see if it can be simplified and make things easier to find. I have been testing the solution over the last few weeks and it works really well and things seem a little bit faster too. I'll be making the changes today and hope to finish by Midday, 1 April 2013. The forum may be offline intermittently whilst I make the changes between 11am and 12pm.

I am going to remove all the various topic groupings from the forum, so the front page or board index will disappear or merge into one, depending on your point of view. The existing topics and posts will all be moved into a single forum and you can simply scroll through every post at your leisure and choose which one you want to read. There will be no more discussion areas, pictures areas, help sections or rehoming section. It will all fit under one big Schnauzer Forum. I've tried to model it on the Newsfeed feature of Facebook. This will make navigation much easier as there will be no navigation to contend with.

It also makes it easier to post. You no longer have to hunt round trying to decide what section you should post in. If you are a new member, you don't have to worry about whether posting in the 'New Member' section is the right place to say hello. Or if you are worried about the kibble you are feeding your puppy, you no longer have to worry that the 'Feeding' section is the right place to ask the question. You will be able to post anywhere and your question will always be in the right place.

Because everything is now in the same place, I am also going to disable all the search functions. This helps in speeding the servers up as they no longer have to index all the new posts to make them easier to find. The 'New Posts', 'Recent Posts', 'Unread Posts', 'Search' and 'Advanced Search' will all go. All the posts are in the same place on one page, so you can simply scroll down until you find the right topic or post that is of interest. I will retain the ability to search user's posts as I find it useful to see who has contributed the most. I am also doing away with 'View your posts' section. I think we all know what we have posted, so no need to take server time with this unused function.

Also, as we only have to scroll up and down now to see everything, I have also removed the 'Previous' and 'Next' buttons and all the other irritating bits that make the current site easy to navigate.

Lastly, I have come up with a rather cool feature, even if I say so myself. The forum is randomly going to change colour throughout the day. At the moment, you see it as blue, but when you visit again, it may be a lovely shade of lilac or purple or pink or red or green or yellow. Rather than been referred to as the blue forum going forward, we can call it the Rainbow Forum. If you have a favourite colour, please send me a PM and I can add it to the rainbow code. Please don't ask for Pepper/Salt or Black/Silver as you will confuse me.

I hope you all have a lovely bank holiday Monday on this first day of April. Looks like it's going to be a cloudy one, but at least dry for some and great for a walk out in the fresh air. Supportive comments are welcome, of course, but please try not to influence other members who may take a little longer to appreciate these changes.

I'm off to walk the boys and then do some coding. See you later. :-h
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Re: Simplied navigation

Post by Robert Lockwood »

Good luck with the changes , a couple of questions if I may....Is the Facebook page to remain open ? and will the calendar competition remain ongoing ?
Jamuot
First Name: Samantha
Dog #1: Jack
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #2: Otto
Dog #3: Murphy

Post by Jamuot »

Wow that sounds fab Dean - can't wait to see it when I get back later.....have a great day too won't you - can't believe it's the first of April already ;) :D
Last edited by Jamuot on 01 Apr 2013, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha, Andrew and our ASBO mini schnauzers
Jack, Otto and Murphy

Our first schnauzer and first ever dog, Beau passed away 2nd June 2010 aged 12 years
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hmmmm, so good of you to try & make our life easier ;)

I see B&W or S&P are a no no which means Black or White is allowable - this is just discrimination & Rodders is very disappointed in you :(
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Suzie
First Name: Suzie
Dog #1: Sawyer
Born: 20 Dec 2010

Post by Suzie »

Surely to speed things up further, you should restrict how many photos each user is allowed to post? For example, for new puppies, I'm thinking one photo should be sufficient.
Seen one puppy, seen them all, after all.

:D
At the beck and call of Sawyer, born 20/12/2010.
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

I prefer the current layout and don't much care for FB.
Will we be able to choose which layout we use?
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

Suzie wrote:Seen one puppy, seen them all, after all.

Appreciate that lots of photos may slow computers down but we've always been encouraged to put as many photos as we like on this forum. For myself, I love seeing pictures of all the new puppies on here, as many pics as possible actually! The forum is like a big family and it's lovely to actually 'see' our members growing up - plus they're like our children, we're very proud of them so understandably want everyone else to see them!

Looking forward to seeing the changes Dean - thanks, as always for your hard work (did wonder if it was an April Fool though with the amount of work involved!)

Do let us know if for the benefit of all, you'd like us to be more restrictive with videos/photos

Thanks
Sherri
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I'm a little concerned that new members that want to read but not post won't be able to find a thread relating to them? For example if a guest signed in or a new member and wanted to find a grooming thread, how will they be able to browse all threads relating to grooming? I assume through the search function, but I still think we should have the subjects etc. as it does make it easier for new members to navigate to a post they want to read in particular, as some don't want to read all of the current threads or trawl through them to find one relating to them.
Robert Lockwood

Suzie wrote:Surely to speed things up further, you should restrict how many photos each user is allowed to post? For example, for new puppies, I'm thinking one photo should be sufficient.
Seen one puppy, seen them all, after all.

:D
Sorry Suzie but I totally disagree with your proposal. [-x the more photos the better for me ! Seeing puppy pictures on here helped me identify which breeder I wanted my next puppy to be from . I can't believe you think they all look the same ? :-\
Last edited by Robert Lockwood on 01 Apr 2013, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Maty

Post by Maty »

As Dean managed to catch me out last April 1st I was determined that he was not going to do the same this year :D

So glad he managed to catch so many of you though =)) =)) =))

Even with the flu he can be such a wind up merchant [-x
Maty

Robert Lockwood

mmmm, not so sure Kate seems perfectly plausible to me ?
Maty

Post by Maty »

Monty and Maisie wrote:mmmm, not so sure Kate seems perfectly plausible to me ?
Plausible yes, but I am willing to take bets that I am right ;) He gave us several clues
Dinkum wrote: I've been looking at the navigation and layout of the site to see if it can be simplified and make things easier to find. I have been testing the solution over the last few weeks and it works really well and things seem a little bit faster too. I'll be making the changes today and hope to finish by Midday, 1 April 2013. The forum may be offline intermittently whilst I make the changes between 11am and 12pm.
I hope you all have a lovely bank holiday Monday on this first day of April. Looks like it's going to be a cloudy one, but at least dry for some and great for a walk out in the fresh air. Supportive comments are welcome, of course, but please try not to influence other members who may take a little longer to appreciate these changes.

I'm off to walk the boys and then do some coding. See you later. :-h
Maty

AB2012
First Name: Annabel
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 05 Sep 2012
Dog #2: Reeva
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Post by AB2012 »

I think you might be right, Kate!! I was taken in. :)
And surely the post about the photos is an April Fool, too- who could fail to delight in as many pics as possible???!
Alfie p&s standard boy, born 5.9.12; Reeva p&s standard girl. born 6.7.13- adopted 17.5.15
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera
Robert Lockwood

Great I've been had twice in one post ! #hangsheadinshame
Maty

Post by Maty »

Monty and Maisie wrote:Great I've been had twice in one post ! #hangsheadinshame
So wish I had made you take a bet =)) =)) =))
Maty