Forum Facebook page

Thought of something to make the forum better. Then please share. We welcome suggestions to improve the forum.
Robert Lockwood
First Name: ROBERT

Re: Forum Facebook page

Post by Robert Lockwood »

I find it a little odd just how many people do not use the "thanks" button .If I ask a specific question I try to thank everyone not necessarily because their post will always help me but for the fact that they have actually taken the time and effort to write a response !!
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

I go through phases of using and noticing the thanks thing, it's not a natural forum behaviour for me, and as such never realised others took much notice either, now I do, I will use it properly.
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Bluebell wrote: Perhaps childish of me but I hate it when I have posted and can see how many people have viewed the photo or read the post and not commented. I would rather not know and pretend no one has seen it !!
There are always many more guests on the forum than there are members. They can read the posts but they can't reply.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
monkeypuzzler
First Name: Roo
Dog #1: Sprocket
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 18 May 2010
Dog #2: Coming soon!

Post by monkeypuzzler »

To be honest I didn't know there was a FB page! I always feel on the fringes of the forum as though I read a lot I am not a regular poster and have not yet had the pleasure of meeting any forum members (and their doggies) in real life. I think that with any forum there can be the impression of cliques, and that's only natural and I've never felt bad to be a bit more on the outskirts as at the end of the day I know I can count on the forum for support and advice when needed. As for the thanks button, 99% of the time I read/post on my phone with the tapatalk app and the thanks button isn't available on there, others may well be in the same boat so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Roo - Mum to a mini named Sprocket, cats Ripley and Coco, and bunnies Flump, Wingnut and Beckett.
Gryff-Nessasmum

Post by Gryff-Nessasmum »

A really interesting debate - so good to hear everyone's views - apologies if this seems a bit jumbled but so many thoughts!

I like this forum for the many reasons Dean has stated - I appreciate him using Gryff's experience as an example, because we really wanted to try to give an insight to members and non members, just what it was like to have to go through something like this, as we really do hope it helps others if God forbid, they ever have to go through it. I did mention to the OH a couple of times, perhaps people are bored with hearing about Gryff's crate rest (we're in week 9 btw!) so we tried to make it funny with the 'Day # in the Big Brother crate' and also keep postings to a minimum and when something had happened - we've had some great responses as an example about experiences in hydrotherapy and it's good to know that people are finding this stuff informative and helpful.

Personally I don't see the 'Facebook Forum' as a forum - I see it as a place to put pics, get a quick response to questions (like I do on my own FB page) and more of a chat room - I get really confused with who's who but that will always be the same I guess - we've added our names to our signature on this site and the other thing I always do is put my name at the bottom of any post I make - the OH and I don't always agree and I want people to know they're my views/opinions and not necessarily joint. (And I hate the name Shergra - the OH chose it as it's a mix of our names - I think it makes us sound like an old dead horse!)

I like Beth's suggestion of calling the other one 'Schnauzer Chat' or perhaps 'Schnauzer Fun' - but I think it's dangerous territory to 'tell' people where they should be posting what. I also sympathise with those that have added similar posts to the many similar questions on here - so I appreciate the showing of other topics at the bottom - but sometimes that's down to new members not going through all the posts before they join but also because they want to introduce themselves (quite rightly!) and inevitably will have many questions about their new additions and will appreciate the personal help/advice/answers given directly to them rather than simply being shown a link to another post.

My own experience upon joining wasn't fun due to the debate about whether to get Gryff neutered, but I stuck with it and have generally learned the ways of people on the forum, regular contributors mainly, you get a 'feel' for what they think (often very strong views as they care so much) - this can be intimidating I think for a new member - I've often re-read posts on here and thought 'bl**dy cheek of some people' - but I do get it.

I also see the Forum as a 'rolling' object - members come/members go - get advice, get busy with the new pups, get on it with, get off - others stick around a bit longer and I'm sure some have been here forever!

As for feeling cliquey - I've learned in my 44 years not to let stuff like that bother me - but yes I do feel it and personally I sometimes feel like an outsider on this forum - can't really put my finger on why but I just do! (and it really doesn't bother me at all) :D

I've been on a good few Schnauzer walks and met some lovely people - I have to ask their Forum names though as I'm rubbish at remembering things and people that know me understand that I'll have to keep asking as I have an issue with facial recognition. We're hoping that once Gryff's sorted, we can participate more in these.

If Dean feels the admin of the FB site is a pain or is tired of it or it's frustrating for him to see this space suffering as a result - then perhaps offer the option of someone else taking it over rather than closing it, as like others have said - we'll all just join another FB site to put pics up of our beloved dogs and personally other than one recent incident of blind stupidity bordering on aggression, I've never had a bad experience or felt that any other member was inappropriate on FB.

So they're my views for what they're worth - oh and btw, I'm rubbish at 'thanking' people because I've used many forums (we used to have a Greyhound and there are 100s of forums for those!) and I've never had this function before - I'm just not used to using it and simply forget so a million apologies to anyone that's every given me great advice and I've not thanked them - plus I do tend to respond to posts and manually say thank you where I can! :D

Thanks for reading this
Sherri
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

It's really encouraging to see how passionate people are about the Forum anyway :)

I have been really impressed with the breadth of topics raised and discussed on this Forum but I definitely agree with others above that the Facebook page can also be a good source of useful information for those who don't want to use this site exclusively. I don't see any problem with having multiple places for Schnauzer Forum to have a presence. It is pretty much the norm nowadays to 'be seen' on the main 3 social media sites - website, Facebook and Twitter. I think the idea of changing the name of the FB page to encourage it to be used more for photos & chat is a good one but maybe retain the 'brand' name so include Schnauzer Forum in the name e.g. Schnauzer Forum Chat.

Last year we added the Forum address into the list of useful resources in our Puppy Pack Information booklet for new owners and, although I would not feel it necessary to mention the Facebook page there, I still think FB does serve a useful purpose for Forum members who maybe want to post photos regularly and chat about issues more informally perhaps than on the main site and can often lead on to more serious discussions anyway. Links to the main Forum could be made where appropriate and people diverted here for any topic that seems to be better suited to this site.

My vote is definitely to keep both :-bd
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Robert Lockwood

Re- Guests ... If they cannot comment then they do not contribute to the forum ? Could the amount of time a guest gets to see posts be limited to encourage them to sign up and join in ? Maybe a home page saying hello welcome by all means have a look but sign up ! It has been said that most subjects are very well covered and if a guest gets the info they require they may not join... I know I made the point earlier but this is a forum not an on-line library book !
summer46
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Summer
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 07 Jun 2008
Dog #2: Zeke
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 16 Sep 2011
Dog #3: Lizzie
Born: 24 Feb 2014

Post by summer46 »

I'm sorry but I do not agree with guests having to join to gain knowledge. If they did join they still may not contribute as many do this now. I give my advice freely and id it helps even the non members then great all the better.
Sarah
Summer (Khanlorba)
Zeke (Khanlorba)
Lizzie (Nikisan)

A dog teaches you fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.[/size]
Robert Lockwood

I see what you mean Sarah but new people ask new questions( or even old questions) that can be answered again it keeps things fresh that's all . :)
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

And then you have obstinate sods like me; I won't join a closed forum and wouldn't have joined this one if I couldn't read the threads first. I'm not giving out my email address to an unknown entity for no reason other than to look and I'm not wasting a password I could save for something more useful unless I know it's worth it. I want to be able to judge the atmosphere in a forum before I sign up and decide if I want to post, I've seen some horrible forums out there and I'm glad I was able to decide those places were not for me without having to register.

As for the Facebook page, personally I don't really like Facebook, I signed up a long time ago, before it took over the web and I don't like the way it's developed with regards to privacy and I've never been able to get on with the chat's on it. If I don't have time to go on the web for a few days I can come on here and easily catch up with everything that's gone on, I like to have the full picture, the history of a post if you like but you don't get that with the Facebook page, everything over a day old seems to either disappear or gets lost in the list and I hate coming in to a story/conversation half way through so as I can't use it every day I don't use it. If people like it for posting photo's and having a natter then so be it. I also think it's a good idea to keep it as a backup in case we ever need it again. I like the idea of renaming it as Schnauzer Forum Chat. At one point we did used to have chatty threads on here, there was once one called 'Silliness', where we would have a gathering round a virtual kitchen table. I don't know why they stopped as they were good fun.

As for the username thing I like that my full name is not attached here. I like to keep my personal and professional lives separate and when future clients and employers google me, they don't need to see my canine related ramblings! Thats why I gave my Facebook page to Mo, so my personal and professional online presences don't overlap. She seems to have problems with it too, judging by the recent lack of activity! I like the addition of our names in the bit to the right of our posts and often reference that to see who I'm talking too.

One thing that struck me is some have mentioned feelings of a clique and being intimidated and this saddens me. I also note that those are the people I would consider regular members with helpful posts and a caring nature. I didn't realise some felt the forum cliquey but I consider those who have felt excluded to be a welcome part of the forum, people who keep it going and are some of the core members, definitely included in my eyes. I would like to add that I hope I have never made anyone feel unwelcome or intimidated, I for one know I can come across quite strongly (I'm just as blunt face to face) but I never intend to intimidate, offend or exclude. If I have I'm sorry.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
AB2012
First Name: Annabel
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 05 Sep 2012
Dog #2: Reeva
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Post by AB2012 »

Actually- I don't think that the forum is cliquey- I have only been a member for about 8/9 mths now -so not that long- and I have always felt included and welcome. I have never been on a schnauzer walk, but would love to go one day, if time and distance permits, in between my busy life as a full time primary teacher, mum of 2, and chief cuddler, trainer, walker and (more recently) show handler of my Alfie!!! I do feel that going on one of the walks makes it easier to relate to each other, perhaps, but you all share your exploits and pictures with us so we can relate to them a bit even if we have not been on one.
So to sum up, I find you all lovely, both on here and the facebook page! (Now I'm really creeping!!!) (*)
Alfie p&s standard boy, born 5.9.12; Reeva p&s standard girl. born 6.7.13- adopted 17.5.15
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera
Malcolm
First Name: Malcolm
Dog #1: Leo
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Dog #2: Teigan

Post by Malcolm »

I don't like Facebook for several reasons including privacy and the fact that sensible/informative posts are lost along all the other rubbish that I get notified of. I would rather come on here and do a search or go into the sections that interest me most.

I am a member of the FB group but rarely go on it.
Malcolm
Owned by two Miniature Scnauzers Tegan and Leo
and Labradooodles Lottie and Ruby
horacehoracecat
First Name: Catherine

Post by horacehoracecat »

I don't post very often, but I enjoy the forum!
I love reading about the different dogs and what they get upto and I really appreciate reading questions and answers. Given a choice I would support the forum every time.
I haven't noticed any cliqueyness, I feel the forum reflects life. Some people are more extravert than others and will post more. Some people are more knowledgeable and I appreciate their knowledge. The beauty of any forum is that you can post as much or as little as you like and share with others your common interests.
I feel that FB doesn't perform the same function as the forum.
Polly, the deaf, flokarty rug dog, Whisp, Many Tears ex-breeding Schnauzer,Penny, another Many Tears rescue, a Yorkie baby and Abbey, Many Tears ex-breeding Schnauzer.
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Elaine, you used to scare the poop out of me!! No not really!! I love the way we can have a proper discussion on here and there are so many different opinions but all the information is sooo useful. I suppose the different opinions will also cover the whether we keep it or not so it is almost an unanswerable question. There are plenty of people who want it so those of us who aren't bothered can just opt out as I have done. I think the name change is a good idea though.
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
nessclair
First Name: Vanessa
Dog #1: Monty
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Sep 2010

Post by nessclair »

Having read all the posts, I'll add my two pennies worth!

I'd really like to thank Dean for all the hard work he puts into the forum- it is a really well organised, well run forum with loads of great features. Thank you Dean.

I haven't actually looked at the face book page so can't comment on that. However, I am a regular visitor to the forum, and would have found being 'mum' to Monty much more difficult without all the freely given good advice from everyone. Advice is usually given pretty speedily- there's usually someone on the forum to comment at any given time, and its good to read through different responses and threads on similar topics- I'm always looking for new ideas for Monty, even though I've now had him for 18 months.

People do like facebook, so I can appreciate others wanting to use it. However, I find I spend quite enough time as it is on the computer, and don't really have time to access fb as well. I don't like to think that I'm missing out, so it is nice to see the pictures and stuff on the forum too.

I haven't found it to be cliquey really- there are some people who post more than others, but any one is free to post as much as they like and contribute to any discussion. I really appreciate knowing that there are experienced owners out there who are willing to give advice freely. Sometimes there are differences of opinion, but the varied range of responses means you usually find some advice which suits you and your dog.

I'm a happy schnauzer owner :)
Ness and Monty (S/P mini born 21.9.10 rehomed with me 13.8.11)