Running....

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
SnailPorridge
Puppy
First Name: Margherita
Dog #1: Lottie
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 2012

Re: Running....

Post by SnailPorridge »

Hi,
I have started running with my standard when she turned one, gently as they need tog et used to distances like we do, but ahve tons of energy, stamina and endurance. Theya re fab running companion!
Al T

Post by Al T »

I run (stagger more like) with Harry, (black mini 15 months)...he loves it...we do about 3-4 miles 5 times a week at about 10-11 minute miles... We get back & I'm knackered & H isn't even panting..! Had to buy him a hi viz collar though as nearly tripped over him a few times. Boy he looks well for it though...

Ruby's (P&S 3yrs), not keen on power walking or even brisk walking round the streets but put her on a mountain & she's off ahead, lead on max extension..

Last but not least, poor Norman (P&S 6yrs), ....but even he's doing 2 milers now on his wheels, albeit at a gentle plod so to speak...
Schnauzers turn you soft in the head!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... ab=new_set

Al.

"If a man speaks in the forest & there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong"..?? !!
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Al T wrote:I run (stagger more like) with Harry, (black mini 15 months)...he loves it...we do about 3-4 miles 5 times a week at about 10-11 minute miles... We get back & I'm knackered & H isn't even panting..! Had to buy him a hi viz collar though as nearly tripped over him a few times. Boy he looks well for it though...

Ruby's (P&S 3yrs), not keen on power walking or even brisk walking round the streets but put her on a mountain & she's off ahead, lead on max extension..

Last but not least, poor Norman (P&S 6yrs), ....but even he's doing 2 milers now on his wheels, albeit at a gentle plod so to speak...
What a star he is ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Im just impressed with anyone who runs.....
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)
Bon-bon
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Bonnie
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 18 Feb 2013

Post by Bon-bon »

SnailPorridge wrote:Hi,
I have started running with my standard when she turned one, gently as they need tog et used to distances like we do, but ahve tons of energy, stamina and endurance. Theya re fab running companion!
I regularly used to run last year, often accompanied by my mini on the shorter off-road runs (she was useless alongside roads as wanted to run in the road not on the pavement). Sadly, when she became ill she stopped coming with me :(

This year my running has been on hold since the arrival of Bonnie as I couldn't find time for running alongside puppy care. However, I look forward to running again once she's turned one and hope she'll be as fab a running companion as she is for walking :) I'm not worried about her energy and stamina but defininitely worried about mine as nowhere near as fit now as I was :))
Earthdog58
First Name: Reuben

Post by Earthdog58 »

Hi, appreciate this is an old post but hopefully will still get some views.
We hope to get a standard girl next Spring (having lost our Mini lad in August) and wondered what the Standard endurance was like. Our lad would cope with 10K walks, especially if he was told there was a pub at the end, so we know a Standard will cover that distance but what would be too much?
I should mention I run marathons and regularly +20k at a weekend but don’t expect to take her with me but maybe she would be up for a 10k cross country run every now and then (with a recovery session in the pub afterwards).
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Earthdog58 wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 17:43 Hi, appreciate this is an old post but hopefully will still get some views.
We hope to get a standard girl next Spring (having lost our Mini lad in August) and wondered what the Standard endurance was like. Our lad would cope with 10K walks, especially if he was told there was a pub at the end, so we know a Standard will cover that distance but what would be too much?
I should mention I run marathons and regularly +20k at a weekend but don’t expect to take her with me but maybe she would be up for a 10k cross country run every now and then (with a recovery session in the pub afterwards).
Much depends on the individual dog’s temperament as well as physical capabilities and I would definitely discuss your expectations with the breeder of any puppy you are looking to add to your family. Some breeds of dog will love to run - Dalmatian dogs for example were originally bred to run alongside carriages and Border Collies and similar pastoral / working breed dogs enjoy extended physical exercise. The mini and standard schnauzers are not really breeds for sustained running though whether or not they may be physically capable of this although some will enjoy extended walks as you describe with your mini. Dogs of this kind generally enjoy sniffing and exploring their environment and simply running is not particularly interesting to them,

You will also need to be aware that there is a long timeline - up to 2 years before allowing a dog to run long distances, building up from about a year of age - to prevent physical damage to the developing puppy. There are a couple of useful links here with more detailed information :

https://dog-gear.com/puppy-culture-exer ... r-puppies/

https://shoppuppyculture.com/pages/age- ... exercise-1

Hopefully you will get some feedback from standard schnauzer owners regarding their ability / temperament as an adult dog for a cross country run but my feeling would be to stay with taking a new dog on country walks rather than sustained runs if you are looking at the schnauzer breeds.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/