Running....

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
MarkLloyd76
Puppy
First Name: Mark

Running....

Post by MarkLloyd76 »

Hi

I'm a 'newbie', have introduced myself in the newbie section :0)

We have yet to find our girl, but I do have a question :0)

Does anyone run with their Schnauzer? I used to run a fair bit with my bearded collie and would love to be able to do the same once she's old enough. :0)

Any experience or advice??

Mark
jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Re: Running....

Post by jentucker »

My hubby runs with Flint, usually doesn't do more than about 8k with him tho. I powerwalk with him regularly as well, but I usually only do about 3 miles.
I powerwalk on short lead, hubby runs on flexi lead. He waited until after I'd got Flint sorted with the powerwalk. Then, he took him jogging on short lead, then long line and finally flexi. He now finds that Flint can run faster and longer than him at the end of the session, so that's why he uses the flexi, but there were a few tricky episodes when Flint ran thru his legs and tripped him up, lol! Flint runs regularly with my son, but he does shorter runs, about 3k, but at a much faster pace.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
MarkLloyd76
Puppy

Post by MarkLloyd76 »

That's is very useful information, thank you :)
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

I reckon a standard (read your other post :) ) will love running with you, they have a lot of energy ;)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

BeeBee wrote:I reckon a standard (read your other post :) ) will love running with you, they have a lot of energy ;)
But not until he has finished growing of course ;) And you will need to build up distance over a period of time.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
MarkLloyd76
Puppy

Post by MarkLloyd76 »

Yes, did the same with Arthur, my Collie.. He was awesome and could easily handle 8 milers... Put me to shame!!!!
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

Albert loves running.... and my hubby has been known to run him round a field... and then collapse! I however do not!!! =))

If you run with Barnaby he just trips you up thinking you are chasing him...

I'm sure any dog would love to do whatever you do and would get used to it...once they are old enough to.
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

lj_thorne wrote:....
I'm sure any dog would love to do whatever you do and would get used to it...once they are old enough to.
...except swimming if you're Renae ;)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ or Stanley :D
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014

Post by lj_thorne »

All right so a schnauzer won't do anything it doesn't want too!!!!

=))
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
nickycaplan

Post by nickycaplan »

lola my standard is now 6/half - at about 2 she would run non stop next to the bike, that's at a fair old speed - this is with my husband, she is slower now, and stops for a wee and a sniff and then catches up - when he runs, she keeps up for the first mile or so and then she slows down to sniff and pee again! he often has to whistle her and she charges back up to him - its great exercise for her, she is getting older but is still very fit and will sleep without a peep in the evening when shes joined him for a run(this isn't every day and especially nt atm in this heat) so I would suggest that you start as you mean to go on with the running - obviously a pup cant be exercised for too long and you will prob have to wait til the dog is at least 14months old to train it to run for long periods etc. good luck
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
Salomon
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Gaspard
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 03 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Diego
Born: 10 May 2013

Post by Salomon »

I can only dream of this with Gaspard. There is no way he can be trusted to trott alongside off lead and on lead he is still a bit of a nightmare. When he gets into sniff mode there is nothing that will distract him.
Little Diego is doing fine though. His lead work is pretty good so I have have hopes that he can run alongside too. He manages it OK but his herding instincts can cause trouble as he gets under your feet :(
Maybe I will have no excuses soon :)
mulvers
First Name: Steven

Post by mulvers »

Bandit is a Mini but he can't half run!
Probably started a little early, about 10 months, he's like a little turbo when we're out, usually 6 mile or so.
It's nearly all off road and off lead, quite hilly and he just runs ahead, stops for sniffs n things then comes flying past.
Likes it best I would guess <15C and if it's raining or the grounds wet, all the better! During the summer, runs are near a stream so he can pop in for a plodge and drink.
Spent a month in the Lake district early summer whilst we were on holiday in Florida and was easily coping with long mountain runs/jogs.
Don't know if all mini's can be trained up to this but Bandit loves it and is great company for me!
cal

Post by cal »

I have two standards .My 11.5 year old jogs three times a week, only five miles at a time but that's my limit not his.
:)
A tired dog is a happy dog
monkeypuzzler
First Name: Roo
Dog #1: Sprocket
Born: 18 May 2010
Dog #2: Coming soon!

Post by monkeypuzzler »

My mini Sprocket comes running with us on a regular basis, only staying behind if it's too warm. He sometimes looks at me as if to say "hurry up, I thought we were going for a run not a trot"!
Roo - Mum to a mini named Sprocket, cats Ripley and Coco, and bunnies Flump, Wingnut and Beckett.