Excessive Licking / Chewing of Paws - Update

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Champ629
First Name: Karen

Excessive Licking / Chewing of Paws - Update

Post by Champ629 »

Jake (18 months) started to excessively lick his front paws in June this year. I took him to the vets in July and they couldn't find anything wrong and suggested it was probably a 'habit'. Anyway, the licking has progressed to chewing and he has now started on his back paws. All his paws are discoloured orange.
We have been told that sometimes dogs get bored or stressed and this can cause 'habits' but we try to keep Jake occupied and he is certainly well loved and looked after.
At night Jake sleeps in our bedroom and he has started to wake up in the night and chew his paws really loudly. Can anyone suggest anything we can do to stop him doing this? We need help (crying)
Last edited by Champ629 on 15 Oct 2008, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Miniature Schnauzers: Sophie, Freddie and Dory

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
jo b
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Lily
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Jul 2020

Re: Excessive Licking / Chewing of Paws

Post by jo b »

Our welsh terrier used to go through phases of licking his paws.

The vet said that it was due to a fungal growth similar to atheletes foot so the groomer used to cut back all the hair between his toes and that used to help.

He tended to be a bit itchy generally especially in the warmer weather and had to anti hystermine tablets.

You could try that bitter apple spray on his feet ot something that he doesn't like the taste of. Do you think it just habit as the vet suggested or do you think something is irritating?
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

perhaps try and correct the behaviour and when not present bandage his feet or use one of those cone head thingy's
susie

Post by susie »

Alfie had a spell of doing this, vet couldn't find anything so we bathed his paws 3 times a day in warm salt water. This gets rid of any slight inflamation and seems to calm the itch, bite cycle.

Worth a try maybe. Hope it helps, if Jake is anything like Alfie he thinks if he is awake in the night everyone should be [bone]
Sue & My Boy Alfie
Cam2
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: Sammy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 9-2012
Dog #2: Kody
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 6-2015

Post by Cam2 »

Sorry to hear about Jake licking his paws. This is something Zack has done on and off for the past 2 years, its mainly his front right that he licks - so much so that it is very discoloured and there is now a hard black area on the front on the leg underneath the fur!
We have over this time tried many things including putting a bandage on it, various ointments (some from the vet), a special collar so he couldn't reach the leg, different shampoos. The vet even injected around the area to try to clear it up and later then tried acipuncture. The latest thing we have tried is giving Zack evening primrose oil - but he is still licking it!
The vet has said that it is a lick granuloma and for Zack it has become a habit. Sometimes Zack will go a few weeks without licking, then will suddenly start up again (he licks about the same Summer and Winter months). We have sort of come to accept it now and try to stop him doing it when we can, but it can be difficult at times.
Sorry for the long reply and I know I probably haven't helped you much, I don't want to be "all doom and gloom" and hopefully for Jake it will not become quite so habit forming.
Zack (15/6/01 - 9/10/12) My 1st schnauzer, always in my thoughts
Molly (11/6/04 - 12/3/15) My beautiful girl xx till we meet again
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I am just wondering have you tried coatex or hibiscrub? my friend used hibiscrub on her westie when it had a skin problem and i use coatex on ruby and have clients which use it also as it is deoderising and anti bacterial.
Champ629

Post by Champ629 »

dannie_kl wrote:I am just wondering have you tried coatex or hibiscrub? my friend used hibiscrub on her westie when it had a skin problem and i use coatex on ruby and have clients which use it also as it is deoderising and anti bacterial.
Hi Dannie, I haven't tried either coatex or hibiscrub, where can I buy these from?

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

try www.petdrugsonline.com (i think thats it but you may have to use the name and do a google search) coatex is available from the vets i think mine cost approx £12 but you can more than likely buy it online
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

sorry it was actually .co.uk
http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/product ... sop=search
that is the hibiscrub

http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/product ... D=1&cID=23
that is for the coatex

Also for anyone who is fed up of paying through the nose for flea treatments etc please check this site out, i bought 6 months worth of flea treatment for £21! and i see on page 2 they have 12 months of frontliine and drontal worming for dogs 0-10KG £27 approx. there are a few different types of flea treatments ( know not everyone uses frontline)
http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/product ... c=&start=1
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

I noticed hibiscrub on sale in Boots the other day.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Champ629

Re: Excessive Licking / Chewing of Paws - Update

Post by Champ629 »

Just to let you know that I took Jake to the vet today and he had a skin scrape and some hair removed from his paws, this was tested and it was all clear, so no mites. The vet thinks Jake may have an allergy, especially as he is waking up during the night and licking and chewing his paws. Jake has had a blood test today and we will have to wait approx 2 weeks for the results, this is the first stage of the allergy testing, depending on the results it could be a long and expensive process but we are prepared to go through it to make sure Jake gets the right treatment. Will let you know when the results arrive.

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Post by Lipgloss »

When I hear allergies then I automatically think of changing the food to BARF- but Champ629, aren't you already one of our barfers, or am I mistaken?
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
Champ629

Post by Champ629 »

Lipgloss wrote:When I hear allergies then I automatically think of changing the food to BARF- but Champ629, aren't you already one of our barfers, or am I mistaken?
Hi Michelle, even though I did a fair bit of research into BARF we haven't actually started it, maybe we should have ....

RIP Cody 17/02/23
RIP Jake 29/10/21
RIP Jenny 28/01/20
RIP Dee Dee 12/02/13
Lipgloss
First Name: Michelle

Post by Lipgloss »

Oh, yes, you should move on to a barf diet. There are no 100% guarantees that barf is the saviour of all ailments- but it can't hurt giving it a go! But I won't go on about it here- if you want to know more just pop into the Barf Section. (laugh)
Michelle, who reckons all dogs should have their meat and eat it...!
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

fingers crossed something gets worked out, the vets wanted me to do food elimination diets with my shih tzu, we started but couldnt carry it on and now think her problem has become more habit than problem. sadly for me barf is not an option right now, although i have considered it and wouldnt rule it out as i think it is probably the best we can feed our dogs and a good step to treating our dogs like dogs not babies (aimed at stupid people who feed their dogs human food all the time and the dogs digestion can't cope) but as of now its not an option so feed arden grange, perhaps i can change in the near future maybe. anyway good luck, hope you find an answer!