Rodders home trim

Our Schnauzers do need to be groomed regularly and they truly are transformed after a visit to the groomer. Share your before & after Schnauzer grooming photos here.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Rodders home trim

Post by Maty »

I have been grooming Rodders myself most of the time and find that you learn all the time

Quite pleased with today's attempt :D

From this.....

To this......

I have since tidied up this side as I hadn't gone down far enough and it wasn't straight :(

The underside of his tail has been tidied up too :ymblushing:
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
PeppersPerson
First Name: Dorene

Re: Rodders home trim

Post by PeppersPerson »

Impressive! It's definitely not easy ! I have tried so many times and always end up back at the groomer. I think the only way Ill be able to handle it is if I Keep after it beginning a week or two after the professional and then 2 week intervals of touching up thereafter LOL

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Maty

Post by Maty »

Hi and welcome to the forum :-h

I have been doing it for almost two years and he has been professionally groomed three times in that period. I was lucky enough to attend a schnauzer grooming day with Linda Forsyth when he was 13 weeks old. I know I couldn't have done it without the initial training ;)
Maty

jentucker
First Name: Jeanette
Dog #1: Flint
Born: 21 Jun 2011

Post by jentucker »

Looking like Flint here :x
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Unknown)
PeppersPerson

Post by PeppersPerson »

Thank you, Maty. I just joined yesterday. Very informative site! I have a 10 year old salt /pepper. She is the best dog I've ever had.

I have a friend who went to grooming school. I may ask her for some pointers. the groomers have all said she's great and gives them no problems, however, when l attempt the task I just can't get her to be still and not all weirded out. Other than that I'm certain I could get through it all instead of the 5% thus far, LOL
Maty

Post by Maty »

We have our ups and downs & Rodders does move about. I manage to clamp him with one arm while using the clippers with the other of I need to. And if he grizzles too much the muzzle goes on for safety ;) He hates it and stands very still then but I hate using it :(

We take things slowly. Bath, rub down and then a run about. Dry with the hairdryer and a play. Trim then a play so I can check what I have missed. Tidy up then photo's. A walk and a final tidy up once I have had a good look and know what I can improve. Four hours start to finish =))

Last time my pup was trying to climb up on to the grooming table with him, today he ran and hid upstairs =))
Maty

PeppersPerson

Post by PeppersPerson »

That's funny! I'm starting to think that 4 hours saved may be worth the $40-50 grooming charge LOL

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
Maty

Post by Maty »

It cost me a bit to get everything I needed although some were gifts but I have:
A grooming table (not essential you can use a countertop or table with a non slip mat)
Andis Single Speed Clippers with 10 and 7F Blade
Moser Arco Clipper
Scissors x 3
Brushes/ Combs/ Slickers Galore
Various shampoo/ Conditioner / Anti tangle products
Nail Clippers

But it does pay for itself in the end ;)

I am now learning to hand strip my pup, not sure what kit I am going to need for that. I have a stripping stone and stripping knife so far =))

Rodders couldn't have been hand stripped, his coat is far too soft and fluffy. But Creggan's is very different. I know which I prefer now....
Maty

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

He looks lovely. Great profile of his eyebrows, I have trouble with eyebrows. Whats good about stripping is you can do bits when ever. Poor Barney gets attacked as OH says if hes on my knee in the car. I start pulling hairs out while we're going along putting fur our of window, white fur trail left as OH drives along =))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
AB2012
First Name: Annabel
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 05 Sep 2012
Dog #2: Reeva
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Post by AB2012 »

I think that you do a fantastic job, Kate! I love his head - it must be so hard to do!! :)
Alfie p&s standard boy, born 5.9.12; Reeva p&s standard girl. born 6.7.13- adopted 17.5.15
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera
lesleyn
First Name: Lesley
Dog #1: Alan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 Mar 2013

Post by lesleyn »

Wow, he looks lovely Kate :)
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

He looks lovely Kate, but take a look at his back leg, not sure if it was the photo but the clipped line might be a bit high. As the line curves across the leg to the point where it reaches the back of his leg; this point is usually about two to three finger widths from the top of the hock bone.

A tip to remove obvious scissor lines from furnishings, comb up/out again and then holding the scissors where you had them before turn them through about 70-80 degrees so that if the blades were pointing towards his bum they now point straight down or at the ceiling and then take one or two very light cuts over the same area. Caution; this will get you into some odd contortions, elbows sticking out all over the place but it does work.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
acrose
First Name: Carolyn
Dog #1: Bentley
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2011
Dog #2: Beau
Born: 01 Jul 2013

Post by acrose »

I decided to try clipping and it's been a lot easier than i expected. I watched the groomer do the whole thing and now i just carry on along the same lines but on a more regular basis. I find that if you do it more frequently but in shorter bursts it makes it easier for yourself and they don't get too twitchy. One day i will do the main body clip (10 mins) then a day or so later i will do the ears, face, feet, then another day tidy up the legs and any other bits. Seeing as i am getting the new puppy on Sunday it's just as well i am learning quickly !
Maty

Post by Maty »

Caramomo wrote:He looks lovely Kate, but take a look at his back leg, not sure if it was the photo but the clipped line might be a bit high. As the line curves across the leg to the point where it reaches the back of his leg; this point is usually about two to three finger widths from the top of the hock bone.

A tip to remove obvious scissor lines from furnishings, comb up/out again and then holding the scissors where you had them before turn them through about 70-80 degrees so that if the blades were pointing towards his bum they now point straight down or at the ceiling and then take one or two very light cuts over the same area. Caution; this will get you into some odd contortions, elbows sticking out all over the place but it does work.
I should have taken the after, after pictures =))

Once we had been out for a walk and I could watch him better I realised that his legs were wrong as were his sides so I had another go and it is much improved, honest :-bd

Good tip on the skirt & legs though, will try that ^:)^
Maty

Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Post by Caramomo »

Ah well if you spotted it and sorted it all is good.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!