The brothers are coming

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Re: The brothers are coming

Post by hula-hoop »

Late to this...they are very cute :) hope things are going ok :)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Pebble
Puppy
First Name: John

Post by Pebble »

Going great both have settled in well, eating well, sleeping every couple of ours after wearing themselves & us out :) Colleen has taken on the toilet trainer role and they are doing really well. They play fight but if it looks as if its getting out of hand we step in firmly and they know to stop already,.... The house is buzzing :)
Pebble
Puppy

Post by Pebble »

Here is an update on Buster- Salt and Pepper. Charlie- Black
They are now 5 months old and have made themselves at home.
Already house trained, having their first grooming session next week.
Off to France and Switzerland in July, passports all sorted :)
Couple of issues with Buster whilst out walking. He will not listen at all to come back commands. As soon as he gets the scent of another dog or a sheep he's gone. Charlie listens, he follows Buster everwhere, but when I call Charlie he comes back.
Have decided it's now time for training classes. Would really like to feel safe when out for walks, for his sake and mine. :) Image
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

The brothers are coming

Post by Parents of Roxy »

Training classes will give you confidence and teach you that everything is a game for them.
Once you realise that and make yourself more fun - or rewarding with tasty treats and fun activities all ears and eyes will latch on to you more and more.
Any commands you wish to use, teach them indoors, then practice outside and stay consistent.
You need to spot any distractions in the distance first, though and work really hard at diversion tactics but you will get there. They are worth it.
Good luck. You may need to teach them separately, though to get through to them at first. They are so cute.
Sue
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Really wish you good luck training two together, mine are almost two years apart and I still have one with a reliable recall and one that seems to be deaf :(

I find hiding in bushes or trees, running in the opposite direction or creating a HUGE fuss of the one that has come back works wonders =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Woody1303
Puppy
First Name: Paul
Dog #1: Woody
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 13 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Buzz
Born: 15 Feb 2014

Post by Woody1303 »

Maty wrote:Really wish you good luck training two together, mine are almost two years apart and I still have one with a reliable recall and one that seems to be deaf :(

I find hiding in bushes or trees, running in the opposite direction or creating a HUGE fuss of the one that has come back works wonders =))
This made me chuckle, I hide as well sometimes, seems to work - but what it must look like to any passers by ..
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Woody1303 wrote:
Maty wrote:Really wish you good luck training two together, mine are almost two years apart and I still have one with a reliable recall and one that seems to be deaf :(

This made me chuckle, I hide as well sometimes, seems to work - but what it must look like to any passers by ..
It always worked with Jasmine, with Renae, she doesn't give a fig where we are...I've been stood in a bush watching her reaction, she's as cool as a cucumber strolling along, carrying on sniffing, doing what she does, while I stand looking like a weirdo in a bush. Different dogs, different tactics needed...we've yet to find what gets Renae bothered :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

The brothers are coming

Post by Parents of Roxy »

This is making me laugh. The things we all end up doing to get their attention.
I have also hidden in bushes and behind trees. Luckily Roxy is one of those who needs to watch me out of the corner of her eye.
These days I only put my hand in the pocket of my bag where the treats are and she is there - or I run in the opposite direction and she thunders up (usually....)
Sue
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I'm late to this thread; double fun and double trouble My husband told me after he'd ordered a puppy welsh terrier that he'd also said he would give a home to a puppy airedale both were 8 weeks old. It's just as easy to loook after 2 puppies as one he said. He was not going to be doing any of the cleaning or looking after . Well it was fun and I wrote a book about some of the trials and tribulations they inflicted on me as well as the fun stuff It's on sale on Amazon all profits go to dog rescues Enjoy your puppies they grow up to quick.
Lynng
First Name: Lynn
Dog #1: Archie
Born: 18 May 2013
Dog #2: Dylan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2014

Post by Lynng »

...I met a lady in a shrub the other day!...she was hiding from her elderly spaniel who will only walk if she can't see her owner, so owner had to periodically pop behind a tree or shrub to get her to walk! So sweet what we do for them! p.s I was in the bush trying to spy on Archie, as he picks unspeakables up but then won't drop them so I have to take him by surprise!
Morgana99
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Alfie
Born: 12 Dec 2007
Dog #2: Duke
Born: 12 Dec 2007

Post by Morgana99 »

Parents of Roxy wrote:This is making me laugh. The things we all end up doing to get their attention.
I have also hidden in bushes and behind trees. Luckily Roxy is one of those who needs to watch me out of the corner of her eye.
These days I only put my hand in the pocket of my bag where the treats are and she is there - or I run in the opposite direction and she thunders up (usually....)
Sue
Me too :)) . We also do the hiding thing and wait until they go one way , before heading in the opposite direction. Duke sounds very much like Roxy and it's getting quite difficult to fool him, but Alfie is much more like Renae, if he can't see us he carries on with whatever he's doing and just isn't 'bovvered' =)) . We're always waiting for him to catch up ~x(
Horace, Bearded Collie X, rescued 1984, left us 1993, aged 15 approx
Eric, Bearded Collie, left us 2002, aged 15.5
Elsie (Vowchurch Belinda Black), Beardie, rescued 1988, left us 2000, aged 13.5
Monty, Patterdale Terrier X, rescued 2003, left us 2012, aged 12 approx
Always in our hearts
Pebble
Puppy

Post by Pebble »

Well they are the best of friends, but are like chalk and cheese, but one thing they have in common is the love for my chair :)
YellowOx
Puppy
First Name: Mark

Post by YellowOx »

I tried the hiding trick with our staffy once and completely unperturbed she ran off, got in the back of someone's car and started licking their children :-o

No harm done but it took a lot of apologising!

Haven't dared do it again.
25Jack
First Name: Jacqueline
Dog #1: Daschwood
Born: 21 Jan 2015

Post by 25Jack »

What joy! My Daschwood, pepper and salt mini, will be one year old on the 21st of January. When I am celebrating his birthday I will be thinking of you all getting to know your boys.
I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand...unless you are a schnauzer, then all bets are off!
Pebble
Puppy

Post by Pebble »

After 8 glorious years we had to say goodnight to Buster our little Salt & Pepper, forever in our hearts, my hearts breaking for my little boy.