Resigned to life on the lead

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
AB2012
First Name: Annabel
Dog #1: Alfie
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 05 Sep 2012
Dog #2: Reeva
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2013

Re: Resigned to life on the lead

Post by AB2012 »

Well, haha- they say pride comes before a fall- Alfie has gone back to wanting to play with other dogs and dancing around not wanting to be caught the last two mornings at the park. :( But I will not be despondent - just need to get the sausage treats out again which he loves...hopefully!!!
Alfie p&s standard boy, born 5.9.12; Reeva p&s standard girl. born 6.7.13- adopted 17.5.15
“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”
― Milan Kundera
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Special treat, Hamish was introduced to dried sprats on sunday now that was espeicially smelly sp a special treat.
Salomon
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Gaspard
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 03 Jun 2012
Dog #2: Diego
Born: 10 May 2013

Post by Salomon »

OH views Gaspard with his rose tinted specs :)
He has dreadful recall. Has absolutely no interest in coming back..only when he is finished what he is up to and is ready. We always have him on a long line but he escapes regularly. I must say that now he is far easier to "catch". He used to go walk about for a good 4 hours and then come home. Now we use Diego to hunt him down and he comes to us fairly readily.

I have read all kinds of stuff about training. I have followed all kinds of advice and resources but with fairly useless results. I know it is all down to the breed and whats going on between those ears. I know this for certain as I have done pretty much exactly the same training with Diego and have a dog that comes when you call him, will sit and wait both next to me and at a distance. He will walk to heel beautifully , he will sit and stand and get out when told. All this makes me feel very proud ( when he walks to heel for 200m I probably grin from ear to ear !). Gaspard can also do all these things but only when he is in the mood. He will never do them as well as Diego as he has no inclination to do so and just does not understand why he should.
We love our standard for what he is. He has his own idea of what he should be doing ;) yes, it means he will always be on along line when we are out walking but he doesnt seem to care. We think he is mellowing with age. But he loves clowning about..
I dont think our standard has a "like to please" gene. He does not give a s*** when he has been naughty. Diego knows exactly when he has been naughty and will crawl on his belly towards you :-o The day I see Gaspard do that will be the same day I visit spec savers :)
A standard schnauzer is a standard schnauzer and that why we love 'em. But. I couldnt have 2 =))