House training

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
charminglochie
First Name: Kelly
Dog #1: Olive
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Oct 2013

House training

Post by charminglochie »

So Olive is 13 weeks old tomorrow. I follow all the house training instructions in the books but still struggling. She LOVES being outside and if she's stood by back door she gets let out. But despite being out there she'll come back inside & toilet in house. I have ALWAYS made a big fuss & praised & treated for outdoor toilets but still happens. & she won't vocalise to go out. She vocalises no problem at everything else but won't make a sound at back door to let me know she wants out. Has anyone tried a bell type system? She was raised in a house with a dog flap so could come & go as she pleased but that's no way an option for us.

Any advice greatly received :) I'm off for some cute schnauzer schnuggles xx
Kelly

Mum to Stanley the Pug born 7/4/2010 & expecting Olive the Miniature Schnauzer born 9/10/2013 home 14/12/2013
http://instagram.com/stan_and_olive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Re: House training

Post by BeeBee »

Give her time, it'll probably take a while longer for her to get it. Our first schnauzer was trained in 2 weeks, i was amazed and thought Renae would be the same, she took 6 months before indoor incidents stopped although during that time she got better and better and steadily more reliable. yet in other ways she was a fast learner.
Out of the blue last year, we noticed she'd tap the bunch of keys hanging in the door to let us know she wanted to go out, she'd taught herself her own version of the bells, quite unexpected and very clever :) our first schnauzer always woofed to let us know, none of ours currently do. Seems they all find their own ways to communicate their needs, we just have to learn to listen :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

The fact that she has been raised in a house with a dog flap may well be part of the problem as that would imply that none of the dogs or pups have been accustomed to a routine of being taken outside and/or requested to be let out to toilet. The usual way with a new puppy is to establish a routine yourself of taking them out very very regularly i.e. when they wake up, before a meal, after a meal, before a play session, after a play session etc etc. It can be as often as every hour in the early days just so you have the greatest number of opportunities of her managing to go outside and always accompany her. At this stage I would not be letting her out alone as you want to establish that the reason she is going out there is specifically to toilet not to play.

Regarding using bells I am not sure from your post if you are missing her signals to want to go out as she is not vocalising ( in which case a bell system might work but will need training ) or if Olive is going outside but then comes in to toilet ( in which case a bell system is unlikely to make any difference as she will just ring to go out but not necessarily to toilet :D ) It probably is just a question of persevering and I am sure Olive will get the message before long :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

Torsten at 16 weeks still has regular lapses, he knows he's supposed to go outside, holds it from 11pm to whenever he wakes (between 8-9am) but still has accidents, if we catch him mid wee we'll tell him off, pick him up and take him outside, and refuse to go back in till he has a wee then lots of praise. we take him out after before eating and half hour after, after every training session and just routinely through the day, we're just persevering and not worrying to much as he is picking everything else up we know he'll get there.

Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I have some bells hanging at the back door so they alert me to anyone coming in. I tried to train Rodders to ring them when he wanted out but failed dismally.

Within a month of coming home Creggan had taught himself to use them :-o He still uses this method to ask to go outside :D Rodders barks instead ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage

jenniferldavis1984
First Name: Jennifer

Post by jenniferldavis1984 »

I am having the same problem with Isabella! She is 17 weeks old and is about to drive me batty with potty training! She is a great dog otherwise! She has me really stumped. I've had her for 8 weeks now and we've been consistently crate training for 6 weeks. Her breeder had her trained to use puppy pads (so she says) but we never had any success with those either. We only used those until she was through receiving her vaccinations. I've never seen a dog react to potty training quite like her. We take her outside every 30 min (maybe more frequently if she starts sniffing) and she ALWAYS uses the bathroom.....but NEVER in the same spot. I take her on leash to a certain area of the yard and when we get there, she walks around and sniffs. When she gets to a spot where she has used the bathroom before, she jumps back like something was getting her :)) It's quite a sight! She'll eventually find a spot and we praise and give treats...the whole nine yards. We go inside and I bet not five minutes she'll urinate again! 99% of the time she doesn't give any notice. The only notice she ever gives is a sniff or two anyways. She'll be mid stride and squat. I've taken her for urinalysis and xrays to check for a bladder infection or crystals and her results come back all clear. She does not mind soiling in her crate either! My husband took her out at 6 this morning and when I got up and 7:30 she had soiled her crate! He said she did good on her potty break. Any advice? We love her to pieces but she has GOT to get this under control!

jaegervalder
First Name: Kathleen
Dog #1: Schnapps
Born: 25 Oct 2006
Dog #2: Darcie
Born: 29 Dec 2006
Dog #3: Juno
Born: 0- 0-2010

Post by jaegervalder »

Schnapps was the same and suddenly 'got it' at 5 months and never once had an accident after that. Be patient, it will come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Schnapps , the lovely big sister to mental Darcie , the untouchable
and now introducing Juno Lucina Sparkle Marzipan Sunshine.....a big name for a big dog!!
and Kathleen! (Oh and Mel, OH!)

Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Bran was also similar with urinating, gradually getting less and less accidents over a few weeks then at now 20 weeks he's been totally dry for about 2 weeks now.
Only thing I can offer that you haven't mentioned if you do or not is not to make a fuss when she does go inside. We figured out that the indoor pees were attention seeking as he enjoyed the attention he got outside, so cleaning up quickly and quietly (with a biological cleaner) helped to curb that behavior

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Hi Jennifer and welcome :-h

It is unusual for them to soil their crate :( If it is a large crate can you section it off to give her less room?

Another mistake I made with Rodders was letting him 'help' to clean up. He thought chasing the kitchen roll was a great game. Once I realised this and shut him out while I cleaned up the accidents in the house stopped :-??
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage

Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Puppies are like children. Some take longer to get it. Children as old as 6 can still wet their beds and a puppy is no different. You are going to have to be patient with them as they learn what is right and wrong.

There is some good advice above. Another idea is regarding water. One you have fed them (maybe earlier than now), let them have a drink, but then pick up the water bowl, so that they cannot have any more. Take them out last thing at night for a wee and then first thing in the morning again. Don't wait even a second once you start moving around the house.

Watson must have taken about 4 months to grasp the idea, but he still had the odd accident up to 9 months of age. He has been dry indoors now for over a year with the odd slip when they are feeling poorly. But that happens with both Rupert and Watson and they both look very sheepish when it has happened.
jenniferldavis1984 wrote:I've never seen a dog react to potty training quite like her.
How many dogs have you had?
jenniferldavis1984 wrote:but NEVER in the same spot.
Rupert won't go in the garden any more. It's become part of his home. I have to take him out the front if I want him to wee. Watson doesn't have the same attitude.
jenniferldavis1984 wrote:We love her to pieces but she has GOT to get this under control!
She will get it, if you are patient with her. It may take another 3 days or it could take 3 months. She's is certainly not going to understand your need for her to control it. For the first 8 weeks of her life, she went when she wanted to and her mother cleaned up. You need to train her when and where to go and that takes time.
Dean & Jolyon
Rupert, black mini born 24/12/10
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.

ZiiPAngelclaws
First Name: Hayley

Post by ZiiPAngelclaws »

Torsten is 19 weeks old tomorrow and has had no accidents for just over a week, we've got him in a good routine now, his signals however are quite subtle and could be easily missed. We still restrict access unless we can watch him like a hawk, so if he needs a wee he walks to the gate does a circle then comes to me and puts his paws on my leg. If I miss the circle and think he's just after attention he huffs at me =))

jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

Hamish won't bark to go out and neither will Elle the little welsh terrier Hamish will come and put his paws on your knees if you are seated or against them if you are standing then he will walk to the door expecting you to follow him. Elle is similar she will sit in front of you look you in the eye then look at the door and walk toward it turning once to see if you are following if you miss these litle signs there will be consequences ;O)

jenniferldavis1984
First Name: Jennifer

Post by jenniferldavis1984 »

Thanks y'all!!

She is gradually getting better. We make a big deal of her going outside. She loves the attention. I don't let her have constant access to water and food. I knew better from the get go with her ;) We've had some hound dogs (for hunting..they weren't indoor dogs), two great danes (biggest babies EVER and one of the easiest breeds in my opinion to train), two mini daschunds (worst breed to train hahaha), a labrodoodle (awesome breed all the way around!) and now we have Izzy, the mini schnauzer. She is such a sweetheart! I can't wait for the day when I'm able to let her run freely and not have to constantly hover. We are crate training pretty heavy right now. Have any of y'all had any experience with the dog whisperer program???