Lead advice please

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
Gina

Lead advice please

Post by Gina »

Hi All

I tried putting this in the Training Section but the forum was locked - I'm assuming I'm not eligible for permissions yet so I'm putting it here today.

I have taken your advice on several things since I brought Iola home 3 weeks ago and all have worked :) and on Monday I can take her out on the lead - Yay! I've done as the books and forum suggest and let her trail her lead around the house (when not chewing it) but when I walk her on it she hangs on to the bit nearest the collar in her mouth and won't let go even for a treat. I'm hoping she will be too distracted by the big wide world when we go out but any suggestions for me to try please?

She met her new cousin Monty yesterday and they played happily and frantically in the garden all afternoon until they were both Knackered - our two households had the best nights sleep and my brother's other 2 dogs gave a massive sigh of relief as the annoying upstart was giving them some peace!Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Suzie
First Name: Suzie
Dog #1: Sawyer
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 20 Dec 2010

Re: Lead advice please

Post by Suzie »

How about using a harness when out walking? That means the lead is attached to a D-ring that sits on her back rather than being directly attached to her collar.
I use this one, which I also use when taking Sawyer out in the car:
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodR0oAmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the beck and call of Sawyer, born 20/12/2010.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I found that mine were so excited to be out in the big wide world that there were far more interesting things to do than chew your lead ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi Both :) well I bought her one of those soft elasticated puppy harnesses as she is so small and she wears it quite happily - she starts puppy classes the week after next ...and I guess I'm stuck in the collar/harness debate. Personally I like a harness and used them on my other dogs, but they were adults when I had them and as I've said before ( sorry to be repetitive) Iola is my first pup so I wanted to do it right ...whatever 'right' is!

Using Tapatalk
Gina

Post by Gina »

An update - I've been taking Iola over to Barry Island beach every morning which has a very active dog walking community and she has sat on my lap in the outdoor coffee shop and watched all the dogs and owners with great interest. Today was her first walk out along the prom and then in to meet everyone while I enjoyed my coffee. Maty you were spot on - what lead??! Far too much to see and do without worrying about a silly old lead :) :) :)

Using Tapatalk
AmandaN
First Name: Amanda
Dog #1: Freya
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Abbie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 May 2011

Post by AmandaN »

Bless her - sounds like she's doing really great - have fun :)
Schnauzer parent for over 20 years RIP Carla, Lucy, Pippa, Daisy, Pepsi & Lucy

Pocketpark Biala Cloud - Freya
Brumist Too Hot To Handle - Abbie
Gina

Post by Gina »

Thanks Amanda - she went on to the beach today and thoroughly enjoyed it - not so impressed with the sea, in fact I heard her mutter "just looks like a bloody big bath to me". I sat and nursed my coffee and she pottered around my feet greeting dogs as they passed - then I heard barking and realised it was Iola- only other time she has barked is when she saw her own reflection in the patio doors. I think I read somewhere on here that they don't really start barking until 3 months...which she was last Sunday :).

Using Tapatalk
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

All the rain we've had over the winter has cured Barney of his water phobia. He will now walk along the sea edge in the water :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gina

Post by Gina »

I'm hoping she will get to like water - we have a caravan in West Wales so plenty of beach walks to come. I have visions of a schnauzer in a Victorian bathing suit and mob cap tippy toeing on two legs at the water's edge - she's not keen on the rain either so I guess that would be a yellow mac, sou'wester and galoshes ....good thing I prefer dogs to be dogs or the poor lass would end up with a complex! :)

Using Tapatalk
Gina

Post by Gina »

Mop cap! Mob cap = pinstriped suit and a gun in a violin case....I'm rambling now :) :)

Using Tapatalk
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

Glad she enjoyed her first walk :D

Rodders was fine until we started training classes and then walks turned in to sits =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Post by Dinkum »

Gina wrote:I tried putting this in the Training Section but the forum was locked
The training, behaviour and dog sport section is split into 3 separate sections now. The main section is locked, but the sub sections are open and not restricted in any way. I have taken the liberty of moving your topic into the training section.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Thanks for moving it :)

Using Tapatalk