8 week old training

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
pandabean
Puppy

8 week old training

Post by pandabean »

Hi guys, I've had my little one for about 5 days now. He's called Monty (seen quite a few Monty's now so maybe should of chosen different haha)
The first day we got him we played outside and he did his business and we thought that was a good start. At night he has been sleeping in our room. We originally didn't want a cage. But some nights he has woken us up and been outside and done it and others he's just done it. Also this morning he was let out by my husband for about ten mins then waited until he came back in to do it.
I know its only the first week so Its probably too early to be worried but he's my first puppy so want to make sure he grows up properly

I have bought a cage but he hasn't really seemed very interested in it but I've kept it in case for him to go in and out of. Do you think I should start using it at night? I don't really know how to use them to be honest because my dogs never had them growing up and they were always really good. Or should I just stick at what we are doing and hope it gets better.

Obviously every time he goes out in the day and does something he has been getting lots of praise.

He's also being very naughty the last couple days but he's a puppy so I guess that's normal lol

Thanks in advance! Sorry for being such a worried mum!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Re: 8 week old training

Post by jacdales »

We put our pup in his crate for the journey home from the breeder the crate was then given it's own corner in the kitchen so he always knew where his bed was. About 5 mins after every meal take him out increase this this a little each week every time he does somthing say eg poopies yeh! in a high squeaky voice and give him a treat. When you see he's sleepy during the day put him in the crate saying bedtime give him a little treat shut the door and leave him. You may have to leave him for short periods until he is happy or until he wakes up do the same at night and you should find he will sleep all night then Hope this helps
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

I also meant to say you should take him out every hour for a pee as at that age they do not have complete control of their bladder and during the day he is eating and drinking but not so much at night
pandabean
Puppy

Post by pandabean »

I've been taken him out every hour at least when he is awake but today for some reason he will be out there for ages with me waiting for him to do something and then he will do it as soon as he comes back in, I always put him straight back out again but he doesn't seem to be picking it up

Using Tapatalk
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

A really useful resource is the online Puppy Plan which can guide a new owner through the early months of raising a puppy in the home. Even if the breeder or rescue centre where you obtained your pup did not follow the Plan for the early weeks of the pup's life, you can still gain a lot of useful help by starting it as soon as possible after you bring them home:

http://thepuppyplan.com/new-owner#.UzU19ScgGK0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would also add that whatever course you choose to adopt regarding using the crate or not at night the most important thing is to be absolutely consistent in your training. Pups learn by knowing routines and if different techniques are tried randomly it will only confuse them. With house training as jacdales says you want to try and make sure the puppy does not have a chance to make a mistake so taking them out very regularly to toilet is key.

Crate training can help to focus a puppy by confining him/her overnight in a restricted area which s/he should be reluctant to toilet in. You should have a crate large enough to contain a bed and also a puppy pad away from the bed which can be used for toileting in emergency. Early experiences can play a large part in how quickly a puppy learns not to toilet in the house which is why if a breeder is following the Puppy Plan it may make things easier but there are always exceptions. Just decide on your approach and stick with it - it will work out - don't worry :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi - I'm a newbie too - Iola is 13 weeks old on Sunday and came home at 9 weeks. I researched crate training on here and in books before she came home and do the same for both the house and car crate. I reduced the interior size of the crate by putting a plastic bin (or cardboard box etc) by about a third and then covered the bin with the sheet she lies on - this reduces the amount of space to just a bed area as dogs don't like to mess in their bed space - she also has her blanket and cuddle toy in there. Over the top and sides she has a fleecy blanket so that it's enclosed, cosy and safe and it is in the kitchen. I slept on the sofa for the first week and took her out at night when she squeaked (without really speaking to her) and popped her straight back in the crate when she had done her business. She quickly settled in to the pattern of going to bed at 9pm and sleeping till 6am which is great.
During the day she seems to be up for 3/4 hours and back to bed for an hours catch up - basically she goes to poo first thing in the morning and then after meals. For wees I send her out with a "Quick Quick" in an excited voice and she does the deed and hurtles back for a treat.

However there always seems to be a downside for every up - she doesn't really like to be away from me which is concerning so that is definitely a work in progress....:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
pandabean
Puppy

Post by pandabean »

Thank you, I think I just need reassuring that it will get easier. He has been really good for a couple days and seemed to be picking it up but seems to have taken 2 steps back today and is just doing it inside. Maybe I'll try the crate at night instead of just a bed

Using Tapatalk
pandabean
Puppy

Post by pandabean »

I think I should of got the crate from the start but I never knew anybody that had used one before so thought it might be ok without one

Using Tapatalk
Gina

Post by Gina »

Put him in when he's sleepy- he will probably cry or bark for a bit but don't get him back out as he will realise that's all he has to do and Mum will come and let him out! Just ignore him and going on my own (very limited) experience he should cuddle down and go to sleep.

Using Tapatalk
pandabean
Puppy

Post by pandabean »

Thank you, he is very good at being left when he can't see me he doesn't make any noise. But he doesn't like it if he can see me but can't get to me so I'll probably try introducing it at bed time because he already knows he is next to the bed not on it :)
He's fallen asleep on my feet at the moment, I forgive all his naughtiness when he's sleeping haha

Using Tapatalk
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

If pup is getting the idea that they are being sent out in the garden to toilet it may be worth putting a lead on so they understand it isn't play time ;)

My sister was on her third dog before she became a crate convert ;) To me it is no different than sending them to a dog bed, it is just one where you can shut the door for the safety of the pup if necessary. Some dogs love their crate so much they sleep in there for years, others only use it until the puppy days are over.
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Lynng
First Name: Lynn
Dog #1: Archie
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 18 May 2013
Dog #2: Dylan
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2014

Post by Lynng »

Pandabean, don't forget a crate cover as well. I use a picnic blanket, anything will do really as long as it covers top and sides - dogs love dens and this makes it lovely, dark and cosy! Saves drafts as well. Archie had crate closed every bed time from almost the day we got him home, with no mess during the night. Now, at nearly 11 months he still sleeps in it but with the door open and in the kitchen with baby gates! (I have wandering indoor cats and none of us would sleep if he started chasing them in the night!). I have tried a dog bed, but he much prefers his crate, and why wouldn't he, right next to radiator! He has a locked crate in our holiday caravan for night time sleeping, but seems not to be bothered that the door isn't open there, as he seems to realise its a different set up! Good luck :-bd
Gina

Post by Gina »

I've bought another crate for the caravan (3 now - home, car and van :) ) not taken Iola to the van yet but I think that if I recreate the home one she should settle in it quite happily. As you say Lynng, I've covered the crate with a dark fleecy blanket so that it is really cwtchy for her.

Using Tapatalk
Parents of Roxy
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Roxy
is a: P/S Std Bitch
Born: 04 Nov 2008

8 week old training

Post by Parents of Roxy »

My mini only used his crate for the first year but it has been invaluable for our standard who is now 5.
It means switch off and relax for Roxy when I cook and also if we go out. It also means you can take your eyes off your little monkey and know he is safe. Enforced regular nap times are essential for puppy development.
If you take the poo and wee and put it in the spot you want him to use, the smell will guide him to go there in the beginning. They always sniff to see if the place has been used before.
He thinks your garden is too clean.
Sue
Schnauzer loving family to Roxy our standard born 4/11/08
and Toby our adorable p&s mini - now over the Rainbow Bridge - missed and never forgotten.