Wolves cooperate, dogs submit - new study, new controversy

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Wolves cooperate, dogs submit - new study, new controversy

Post by BeeBee »

We know the "dominance" theory is a controversial one, and new research looks to make it even more so as this scientists sums it up:

“It’s wonderful work,” says James Serpell, an ethologist at the University of Pennsylvania. “But it’s not what the dog training community wants to hear; you can’t say the word ‘dominance’ around them. Does dominance exist as a phenomenon in dogs? The answer is clearly ‘yes,’ ” Serpell says, although he notes that there are breed differences. Other researchers, for example, have shown that when in packs, poodles and Labrador retrievers are more aggressive than are malamutes and German shepherds.

http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavi ... y-suggests

I'm sure there'll be plenty of expert discussion on social media amongst the pro and anti-dominance experts who all think they're right :)
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Wolves cooperate, dogs submit - new study, new controver

Post by zeta1454 »

These studies always make me laugh as they are so earnest in their belief that they have come up with some earth shattering theory that will have I am not sure what significance in the real world. And have any of these people actually lived with dogs ( or wolves for that matter) or are their conclusions based on a small sample of wretched laboratory animals who have been raised to be experimented on?

"Monique Udell, an animal behaviorist at Oregon State University, Corvallis, says her own study of dog and wolf behavior, also presented at the meeting, supports Range’s contention that dogs are waiting for orders. To find out if dogs are “independent problem solvers,” she presented 20 adult dogs (10 pets and 10 from shelters) with sealed containers of summer sausage. Each animal was allotted 2 minutes to open it. Ten captive wolves were given the same test. Not one of the adult dogs succeeded; most did not even try. Meanwhile, eight of the 10 wolves opened the container in less than 2 minutes. So did dog puppies, indicating that dogs are no less capable of the task than wolves, but “as the dog grows and becomes more dependent on its human owner that [independent] behavior is inhibited,” Udell said.

Underscoring the point, she found that adult pooches could open the container after all—when their human owner told them to do so. Because dogs “suppress their independence, it’s difficult to know what their normal problem-solving abilities are,” she told the meeting.

It may be that we have to give Fido a command to find out."

This quote from the link is the funniest of all. I can't imagine there are many people who live with a dog or dogs who have not found them to be experts at getting into any box, pouch, bag , cupboard etc and snaffling food they shouldn't have. I have lost count of the things in our house that have ended up on high shelves to keep them out of reach of our little dogs because they do or did contain some food at one time. Magic can scale tables at one leap to get at a plate that might still have the remains of dinner, Crybbe can take apart a handbag in minutes to locate anything edible or open a zipped pouch to reach treats. Maybe we have raised our dogs to be independent thinkers - in which case it says more about the people conducting these trials than the participant canines.

P.S. Just looked out of the window to see our guest mini schnauzer sauntering down the garden having worked out how to overcome all the gates, fences and other obstacles to stop her - and actually told her not to - guess she never learned to suppress her independence either =))
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales »

If a soft toy with a squeaker inside it can be considered a container then mine are masters of the art of opening containers and removing the contents.
LouiseH
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Kili
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 11 Feb 2012

Post by LouiseH »

Kili doesn't touch things with food in that aren't specifically his; I can't claim any particular talent for training, he's just very rule orientated about objects (not necessarily about other things)! He'll hunt through the shopping for an unwrapped chewtoy and remove it carefully, but he won't go for anything else, and I regularly leave my jacket lying around with unwrapped treats in the pocket and he won't try to get them. So I can imagine that it might take him longer than 2 minutes to decide that the experimental object was fair game. (The cats on the other hand are out for anything they can get).

It makes sense that domestication has involved selection for animals that can understand and follow household rules. I'm not sure that it has much to do with dominance in the "classic" sense of imposing our will on dogs; more that they've been bred to be able to live moreorless harmoniously alongside us and that included being able to understand consistent rules on where not to wee and what not to chew and (sometimes) what not to eat...