The Price of a Puppy

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Lord
Puppy
First Name: Kostis

Re: The Price of a Puppy

Post by Lord »

I agree with most but not all. Let me say that I have shown dogs before. Some breeders have the audacity to talk about the betterment of the breed sometimes…. Like GSDs that can’t work. Ratters that won’t hunt etc. if you don’t take under consideration the reason the breed was created, I am not so sure there is a betterment. That’s my two cents. I believe character and confirmation go together. Hope you guys agree.

I am not talking about anyone in this breed guys, since I don't know anyone. I was in the working group and wasn't looking outside of it. But I wanted something smaller, and the moment I realized that the mini schnauzers come in black, I fell in love. I guess I might seem aggressive but I have no bad intentions. It is just that the title brings back some memories...
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sadly I agree the show world hasnt improved some breeds for their general health. GSD also have the hips problems many of the show dogs appear to slink along as they walk. British bull dog has changed immensely from its original roots, now having breathing problems. Labradors have become a lot more chunky in their appearance. Mini schnauzers appearance has changed from the 1950s you now see a lot more dogs with profuse leg furnishings. Indeed there are breeds that have show lines and working lines and appearance and temperament are different.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Lord wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 19:32 I agree with most but not all. Let me say that I have shown dogs before. Some breeders have the audacity to talk about the betterment of the breed sometimes…. Like GSDs that can’t work. Ratters that won’t hunt etc. if you don’t take under consideration the reason the breed was created, I am not so sure there is a betterment. That’s my two cents. I believe character and confirmation go together. Hope you guys agree.

I am not talking about anyone in this breed guys, since I don't know anyone. I was in the working group and wasn't looking outside of it. But I wanted something smaller, and the moment I realized that the mini schnauzers come in black, I fell in love. I guess I might seem aggressive but I have no bad intentions. It is just that the title brings back some memories...
I do understand and agree with you that character and conformation are both important and that if someone is breeding a particular type of dog they should understand the original purpose as should those purchasing a puppy of a particular breed, I also agree that there are poor quality and disreputable breeders in many different breeds and this will include some of those who are breeding to show their dogs.

My original intention with this post was simply to outline the costs in time, dedication and actual financial outlay that can be involved when a reputable caring preservation breeder raises a litter of puppies. Some people looking for a puppy question how it can possibly be so expensive when they don’t know how much work has gone into planning, breeding, raising the puppies and preparing them for their new family homes whether they will be a pet or a show dog. Of course not all breeders do put in that amount of work and care and may still charge a high price.

However, I think your question is a slightly different one and just to add to the points already mentioned above, some of the “faults” you mention may be evident in a puppy from an early stage and a breeder who knows you want to show a dog would not offer you a puppy which may have odd colouring or a less than desirable shape. The teeth should be able to be judged reasonably early and the testicles usually confirmed at a pre-sale vet check. Temperament for the show ring will be far more difficult to be certain about and this (as with the other points you mention) are just as concerning for a breeder who is keeping a puppy to show from their litter. Their judgement is based on experience and instinct but can still not always work out as planned. When a breeder pays a considerable stud fee to use a multi-champion show dog with their bitch, they are unlikely to be able to ask for their money back if none of the puppies make the grade as show dogs. It is one of the unknowns when you breed or purchase a puppy and your best chances of getting a good puppy are, as said above, finding a breeder you can trust and sharing with them your plans and hopes. A reputable breeder will want to support someone who is genuinely wanting to show and cares about the breed and the individual dog and they are not likely to want to give you a poor quality puppy that would reflect badly on their breeding and their integrity.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/