small giant?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
tedsmum
Puppy
First Name: Nicky
Dog #1: Ted
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 05 Oct 2014

small giant?

Post by tedsmum »

Hi, following on from my post in the new members section, can anyone advise how big a male giant should be at 6 months? My boy is measuring 21 inches from floor to collar and was 26 weeks on Sunday. Am I the owner of a mini giant? I presumed he had a lot more growing to do yet!

blackgiant

Re: small giant?

Post by blackgiant »

Hi,

He won't be full height/weight until he's at least 18 months old. They have growth spurts so sometimes they seem out of proportion.
At 6 months old he's only a large puppy so I wouldn't be bothered about his height yet.

The one thing that I would be careful of is not to over exercise him as that will possibly cause him to become lanky and do damage to his joints.

The guidance is 5 minutes exercise per month of age until he's approx. 18 months old.

Lovely photo of him - he looks very handsome.
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
tedsmum
Puppy
First Name: Nicky
Dog #1: Ted
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 05 Oct 2014

Post by tedsmum »

Thank you for replying. He is only walking on lead at the moment & playing in the garden so nothing too strenuous. Is the guideline 5 mins per month per day or on each walk - i am currently taking him out twice. We normally do one "sniffy" walk in the woods or park & a street walk to get him used to cars, people etc.
blackgiant

Post by blackgiant »

Different people interpret the guidance in various ways. I believe it's just a reminder not to overdo things.

Is he getting off-lead exercise outside the house?
If not he needs to be off lead as soon as possible so that you can practice your recall as early as you can. Work done now will pay off tenfold later on.
Have you got a good puppy class near you? If so I'd get him booked in as soon as you can.
Cath in Christchurch
living with
Lottie -Giant P&S
Heidi -Giant Black
Troy -Standard P&S
Suzy - Honorary Schnauzer (aka Standard Poodle)
Arran - Bearded Collie - another Honorary Schnauzer
Clover - Bearded Collie - yet another Honorary Schnauzer
Stanley Brian
First Name: Nick

Post by Stanley Brian »

Hi, I have a large Standard and he was a similar size at six months old. They do show down at six months so I think your correct in saying he won't be a large giant. we walk with many giants and some are a little larger than our standard and others are a lot bigger
www.theschnauzer.uk
Advice, forums, free training advice and videos
RainyDayz
First Name: Kate

Post by RainyDayz »

Our giant is just under 2 years and is in the midst of a growth spurt. His nose is broadening now, his length a little longer and chest a little broader. Feed good quality food and get good quality growth.
Gary70
First Name: Gary

Post by Gary70 »

Hi, he;s probably not far off,ours was almost his full adult height at 6 months, he just needed to fill out, when you consider the breed standard is 25 1/2 to 271/2 inches in height, 26 at 6 months is ok. I wouldn't worry, so long as he is in proportion all will be well.