Change in mini schnauzer temperament

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
mcschnauz
Puppy
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Dexter
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 0- 7-2013

Change in mini schnauzer temperament

Post by mcschnauz »

Hello!

Just checking in with a question. My mini schnauzer seems to have undergone a change in temperament.

Previously he was bouncy, loved attention, full of energy, easily excitable... Typical schnauzer behaviour. The last month or so he's become a bit more lethargic - still loves his twice daily walks, enjoys playing a little bit but not with the same boundless enthusiasm as before. He's happier to lie on the rug in the evening, rarely wags his tail, doesn't want to play. He's very clingy to his owners, jumping up on furniture (which he's never been allowed before) and hugging in close to everyone.

Two things have happened that I think could have led to a change in his mood - he turned two (could he be just growing up and losing his puppy enthusiasm? Please tell me it's not true, he seems so hangdog!), and we've had a bereavement. Not someone he'd encounter daily, or very often, but someone close enough to make the humans very sad. Nobody cries in front of the dog, they still play with him, walk him, chat away to him, but it is noticeable that mum & dad are in shock and mourning. At the weekend the children of the deceased came to visit and the dog backed into the corner, shaking, tail between legs, where he's previously been so excited to see them.

Has anyone has experience of this? Is his change in temperament a permanent getting older trait in miniature schnauzers, or is there something we can do to help him through this temporary change and period of anxiety?

Please help - Dexter is much loved and we only want the very best for him!
the valkyrie
First Name: Cyndie

Re: Change in mini schnauzer temperament

Post by the valkyrie »

Hi Elaine, I am so sorry to hear of your loss and resultant sadness plus your anxiety about Dexter.
I am obviously no expert on these matters but I do believe that our Schnauzers are very sensitive to what is going on in their humans lives. If we are sad or down, then our little pals will pick up on this and may try to commiserate by being sad with you.
I don't think he will have lost his puppy bounce and love of life at two years old, although Finnegan, who is now 3 years old is definitely far more sedate and less naughty than he was a year ago. He is just as loveable however, still sleeps behind my pillow with the side of his face against mine.
I hope your family and Dexter will be feeling better soon.
Hugs from Cyndie, Finn and Bodie :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Our darling Cassie-too born 11.1.2006 left us 1.6. 2012.
Miss you every day little girl xx
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Hi,

I don't know if I can really help but just to share experiences really....

Ollie was 2 on the 26/6 and he is still as naughty and cheeky as ever. I am led to believe that they calm down at about 3 though. However, what I wanted to say was, they are DEFINITELY sensitive to human emotions.

Even if I am crying at something on TV or something I am reading, albeit just a brief tear and not prolonged, he will jump up from his bed or floor or wherever he is, and do a quick lap of the room and then stop at my feet! I always say "I am ok" and he goes back again! He has also had similar responses if one of us has been ill. He even looks startled if one of us sniffs or blows our noses and looks at us intently!

I am so sorry for your loss and hope that Dexter is back to his bouncy self soon. Sending you lots of good wishes and hugs. :ymhug:
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney is 2.5years and has definitely matured over the past 6 months but still full of energy and up for any games at any time.

We came to UK last year and he reacted by barking and moving away from my BIL. He had been diagnosed with cancer and was undergoing treatment. We've often wondered if he detected something as only a few weeks later it was found the cancer was really aggressive.

It could be he's reacting to changes in every ones body language as well as emotional state. Dogs read our body language far more than we realise.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
mcschnauz
Puppy
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Dexter
Born: 0- 7-2013

Post by mcschnauz »

Thanks everyone, he seems to be shaking violently every so often until he's snuggled, and keeps leaping up for hugs. He's eating ok, and plays with my nieces and nephews when they come in, but definitely not my usual little boisterous pal. He keeps finding really unusual places to stand, behind the sofa (which is pushed up against the wall!?) and at the bottom of the stairs in the hall.

Any suggestions for making him feel more at himself would be great. He seems so sad!
Nika C
First Name: danika
Born: 0- 1- 0

Post by Nika C »

Despite the possibilities of an emotional upset, as the change is significant and sudden I would personally be making a vets appointment to ensure there isn't a medical cause, sometimes minor infections etc can really throw them off kilter.