Advice on which mix of dry food

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Aysha

Re: Advice on which mix of dry food

Post by Aysha »

Our mini has been on different dry foods but she goes off them after a few weeks. We have always bought good food with good ingredients. When we give her dry treats which are hard she can't get enough of them but put down a bowl of dry food and she turns her nose up. We are baffled. Don't know if we need to change her dry food yet again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Sounds like she needs food time to be more exciting. Why not try scattering her food in the garden so she has to find it, put it in empty plastic bottles so she has to knock it around to get the food out, empty eggs boxes or cardboard tube with ends bent in, can end up messy but I don't really bother about that. It's fun watching them. Those are cheap options. Or you can buy the Nina ottoson brain toys, trixie do a food dispensing ball (Barneys personal favorite).
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Aysha

Post by Aysha »

No answer to my question. Just old posts.
KeithMoonQuinlan
First Name: Vikki
Dog #1: Keith Moon Quinlan
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 Nov 2013
Dog #2: Oliver Reed Quinlan
Born: 05 Jan 2016

Post by KeithMoonQuinlan »

Aysha wrote:No answer to my question. Just old posts.
Is there a reason you're wanting to keep her on dry food? Our Keith was on a mix of dry food with wet (Bob and Lush) with no problems for 2 years. Then one day he decided he didn't fancy it any more and wouldn't eat it. We moved him and Oliver (pup who was reared on raw) over to Pure pet food and he absolutely loves it - it comes in a variety of flavours which the kibble he was eating didn't.

My Mum's mini (5 months) is a very fussy eater, I think Mum's tried her on at least 5 brands of food now. The advice given previously has been to just leave it, they're not going to starve themselves and will eat eventually. Perhaps your pup has cottoned on to the fact that her food will change if she doesn't eat it? Could be a bit of a game that she's playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

KeithMoonQuinlan wrote:The advice given previously has been to just leave it, they're not going to starve themselves and will eat eventually. Perhaps your pup has cottoned on to the fact that her food will change if she doesn't eat it? Could be a bit of a game that she's playing?
This is the route i have been taking with Olls as he eats a food for a few weeks then decides he doesn't want it. OH then caves and gives him bits of carrot, chicken etc. I am of the mind, that he would eat it if there was nothing else and we are spoiling him.

Where do you get Pure pet food from? If you don't mind me asking, how much it is? PM me if you don't want to announce it in the forum!
Thanks!
KeithMoonQuinlan
First Name: Vikki
Dog #1: Keith Moon Quinlan
Born: 28 Nov 2013
Dog #2: Oliver Reed Quinlan
Born: 05 Jan 2016

Post by KeithMoonQuinlan »

Hi @lou78 the pure pet food is from their site, purepetfood.co.uk. Mine love the Duck flavour but they also make a Turkey and Chicken variety.

I spend about £55ish per month on food; Oliver eats more than Keith at the moment as he's still a pup but according to the box, a 2kg box (rehydrates to 8Kg worth of food) will last an adult dog weighing 10kg with an average activity level about 20 days.

A 2kg box costs around £30 and the company do various coupons regularly. Pets at Home have also been doing a deal for 2 boxes for £50 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 »

Thanks Vikki. :-bd

That sounds like it might be worth investigating. Might go with a trial size just to see how he gets on! He is not faddy at all when it comes to eating horrible things off the street, beach etc but has avery discerning palette when it comes to his actual food!