New home.

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Fergus
First Name: colin

Re: New home.

Post by Fergus »

Oscar 12345 wrote:Colin,

I suppose inconclusive is better than a conclusive bad news. How do you know there was a problem with Fergus initially?
The whites of his eyes were a bit red and there was some matting of the hair round his eyes.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

Fergus had his first run off the lead with other dogs around today.
they were a bit away but he only looked at them and came instantly when called.
He is lying on my foot as usual at this time of night.
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

About the eyes, don't lose your hope yet, we'll keep crossing our fingers and see in a couple of months ;)
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

As a pup Otto had 2 episodes of conjunctivitis (very gunky and red eyes) caused by very tight eye lids slightly folded inwards and the little eyelashes on the lower lid irritating his eyes. The vet recommended eye drops for a few days and massaging the lower lids to pull down to lid. As he has grown with some gentle massaging of his lower eyelid (pulling it down) but mainly the weight of his beard and combing it down regularly which again loosened the lower eyelid somewhat he has grown out of this condition. Called entropion I think. I am not saying our boys had/have the same thing just commenting. Is your vet sure that the red eyes are not being caused by the lay of the lower lid and the irritation caused?

Anyway, fingers still crossed that this is just a puppy thing...
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

Thanks Julie.
One of the vets Fergus saw was a veterinary opthalmologist, so they are pretty sure.
It has improved slightly over the last 3 weeks, so there is always hope.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

I just had Fergus out in 4" of snow. his legs are covered in little smowballs the size of marbles.
Is there any way to prevent this and if not, how do you get them out of his fur?
Bodee
First Name: Boyd

Post by Bodee »

Fergus wrote:I just had Fergus out in 4" of snow. his legs are covered in little smowballs the size of marbles.
Is there any way to prevent this and if not, how do you get them out of his fur?
Blow drier is best.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

We tried that. He was too interested in the snowballs and kept sticking his face in front on the dryer.
Not good for his eye condition.
Sounds like the best solution though.
We will just have to train him.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

We have at least 6 inches of snow decided to use Suzi's all in one waterproof suit on Gino this morning but still came home with big snow boots on. We either pop his feet in luke warm water in a basin but finding it easier to put him in the shower. He's just loving the snow but so much on him this morning he could hardly walk.

Image this Suzi in her snow suit
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Best solution by far is to dip him in the sink and if you have a hose attachment spray with warm water. Snowballs gone immediately. If you don't have a spray attachment just put warm water in the sink and dunk legs. Takes far too long with the dryer and little boy happy to be out of sink in seconds.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Oscar 12345 wrote:Best solution by far is to dip him in the sink and if you have a hose attachment spray with warm water. Snowballs gone immediately. If you don't have a spray attachment just put warm water in the sink and dunk legs. Takes far too long with the dryer and little boy happy to be out of sink in seconds.
'''

Julie
thanks we do have the spray attachment on the kitchen tap forgot about it, so will try it next time. Today the snowballs weren't so bad on his legs...think it depends on the weather conditions.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Christine, I agree, the soft new snow is the worst. Just glad we don't have any around here this time. One curious behaviour I did spot with Otto is that any poop he did in the garden was promptly covered up by snow using his nose. I think he was channelling his inner wolf and hiding his exceptional doings from threatening scary monsters.
Fergus

Post by Fergus »

Fergus with his favourite cow toy.
Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 »

So adorable and looks as though he does absolutely everything his owners ask of him. :)

I always wonder with schnauzers whether they will ever grow into their noses - so large but cute for such a small dog. Otto comes prancing into a room sits in front of you with an expression that says "does my nose look big in this"
AnnieMoon
First Name: Annie
Dog #1: Harriet
Born: 05 Oct 2017

Post by AnnieMoon »

Ohhh he looks so cute!! Harriet has a fox and it's also her favorite :)