Puppy never relaxes when out for day

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Hil54
Puppy
First Name: Hilary

Puppy never relaxes when out for day

Post by Hil54 » 05 Aug 2018, 08:43

We’ve just come back from a weeks holiday with our 11 month old mini. We found that when we were on the beach for an afternoon or just out and about she never relaxes and sits or lies down to rest. She constantly runs, sniffs, digs etc and then gets very overtired and barks a lot. We have given her chews but she isn’t too interested and we encourage her to sit and lie down but it lasts about 5 seconds!! Are we expecting too much at her age? Any tips for making our holidays and day trips a little more relaxing? Thanks.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy never relaxes when out for day

Post by Oscar 12345 » 05 Aug 2018, 09:11

Hi Hilary, just had the same experience this week when we took Otto to Sidmouth. Poor boy found the whole experience overwhelming from the noise from the seagulls to the strong salty air, screaming children and activity in the town. He doesn't bark very much but he did start to and also cried a lot and shrieked louder than the seagulls at one point. We took him to the pub one night and he did sit through the meal but we had to keep stroking him to keep his attention on us. He wouldn't settle with his chew as there was too much going on. You have to remember that for a young dog this will have been a major change to their routine and as such they will be very unsettled by it and even unsettled a day or so after you get back. The key thing is to keep a consistent approach to the barking. It is ok to bark to alert you to something but not to then continue once alerted. Don't let it become a habit for her. I let Otto have a bark and say good boy and then say enough, then when quiet good boy again. If the barking doesn't stop immediately I find that putting my hand gently around his nose works for me. When I release he gets a good boy. So everywhere you are, in the house, garden or out keep the same routine and he will get it. Also don't let the experience put you off from taking him out. They need more experience of this and then they will become more confident. If the change in routine happens only once a year for example you are unlikely to get them used to it. It is a young dog thing but you need to work at it with a schnauzer. Also a kong with real food in it will work better than a chew. A piece of apple wedged in the top keeps it going for a while. Do it in your house with a mat by your feet using the word settle to lie by your feet with the kong and then replicate when out.
Otto's motto - Everything's a toy unless it's edible...

Robin black mini
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Robin
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Dec 2014
Dog #2: Stanley st poodle
Born: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Puppy never relaxes

Post by Robin black mini » 05 Aug 2018, 10:36

id like to know if your dog is insecure or assertive? It makes a lot of difference as to the advice I'd give..

Julie's advice is excellent for the first case,however ,I have a very assertive female and I'd take a slightly different route..
Re my dog ,I had the barking on and off for her first year,but she was really dominant,would fix any female with an eye stare and bark if they moved..I used to gently put my finger on her shoulder,and just say enough..or watch...and it would break her stare( she'd look at me) and we'd carry on..these days simply saying enough is sufficient to get her attention and she's a really good dog. People have asked me if she's a different pup to "the barker "I used to have...I laugh and say,no she's just been trained..over here the mini schnauzers have an awful reputation as barkers or biters,no in between..so I delight in showing them how things can turn around if you are firm and consistent.I take my dog to really crowded places,and they have to be well behaved,but I don't push the mini to be a crowd pleaser( like my poodle),just to respect others.
I am strict with my girl,or she would take a mile.shes really obedient nowadays,but I treated her as I used to my rottie...she had the same mind set and needed clear rules.
If I was in a new setting as described,I would take the dog's settle mat( we have a small pad that I keep at the side of my armchair) and I'd put it down if we were wanting to stay in a location for the day..a chew bone would be enough to reward the dog.id keep the dog on lead ,and say settle...mine would likely sleep,if well excercised prior..again this becomes a routine.
You can practice this routine at home with a placemat by your chair,dog on lead,lead under you foot...get on your I pad etc and relax for ten minutes..dog is given the settle command and then released with praise and a treat...this way the mat becomes a secure place ,and a good excercise for training the dog to chill.
Also take heart...eleven months is still adolescence...give it a few more months and you'll find the excercises will kick in and the dog will become more steady when she gets to adulthood.

Hil54
Puppy
First Name: Hilary

Post by Hil54 » 09 Aug 2018, 18:21

Thank you both so much for your advice which we are following carefully. This is our first dog so all comments are very helpful. I'm not really sure if she barks because she is insecure or assertive? She happily meets dogs off lead and doesn't particularly seem one or the other. Just really excited by everything. How do we know? I'm sorry if that is a really silly question.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 09 Aug 2018, 19:12

Is her tail up and wagging or stiff with no movement. Does she seem excited and happy or defensive and wanting to stay near your legs? Going backwards when she barks is also another telling sign.
Otto's motto - Everything's a toy unless it's edible...