Fleas

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Fleas

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 09 Sep 2018, 20:15

Last weekend I was grooming Rosie and found a live flea on her. There was no sign of any other but on Monday I saw another and so I picked up some Frontline from the vets and treated Rosie and Edie.

Today when grooming the dogs I noticed that Edie had some fleas on her - I found 3 of them and another couple later on this afternoon.

Can anyone tell me why, if she was treated last week, there are fleas on her?

Obviously there's not a lot I can do about it now other than use a fine tooth comb as she can't be treated again for 3 weeks.
You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013

Re: Fleas

Post by Dawnspell » 09 Sep 2018, 20:24

Strange it was my vet that told me fleas were becoming resistant to frontline so no point using it.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 10 Sep 2018, 09:36

I also heard that Frontline plus was not as effective as it has been. I still use it and have not as yet had a problem although I did remove a tick a couple of weeks ago. I do find the odd flea occasionally and I never know whether it is in the process of being killed because the parasite has to feed before it is killed. I have heard from several people that they have had fleas this year and have never seen them before on their dogs perhaps due to the weather we have had this year. I do combine the flea treatment with a flea and tick shampoo and a few added drops of tea tree or neem oil when I wash Otto's furnishings/belly etc. I also hope the garlic pills work on keeping the blighters off him.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 10 Sep 2018, 15:23

This year does seem to have been a particularly bad year for fleas as I know many people whose dogs have not had fleas for years finding a few on their pets after the hot summer.

One of the problems with Frontline and all the flea treatments that are sold to be applied on a monthly or regular basis is that it leads to resistance in exactly the same way as has been happening with inappropriate and unnecessary use of antibiotics. These products may have a use in extreme and acute circumstances where a dog is infested with parasites but, because they are being used as "preventatives" instead of as a treatment in so many cases, when someone really does need to deal with a flea problem, the product is no longer effective. This is just a general point - not getting at anyone on the Forum re this issue - but it really is quite a serious one and very frustrating for anyone who is suddenly faced with dealing with fleas on their dog/s.

You do need to make sure that your house is treated as well as the dog/s unless you think that you have dealt with individual fleas very quickly after they appeared. Fleas can lay their eggs in furnishings, dog bedding etc. and the new fleas will re-infest even after the others have been killed. Although there are some natural anti-flea house treatments, we have found (on two occasions over the past ten years, when we did get a flea problem) that it was most effective to just use a chemical spray treatment such as Indorex. I really do not like using any chemicals of this kind at all and would definitely not use chemical treatments on the dogs unless in a real emergency but, rather than struggle with a flea issue that is persistent, it can be better to deal with it swiftly. The spray should provide protection for a year and may not need repeating at all unless there us a further issue.

For natural treatments on your dogs, Diatomaceous Earth, rubbed into the coat should kill any fleas on the dog at the time but this should be done outside preferably as the dust is very fine and can be messy to clear up. It will also kill fleas in the house if applied to carpets etc but there is a risk of it damaging a vacuum cleaner when you clear it up!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diatomaceous-E ... B0083H1B3W

We have also recently purchased a new product which has been getting good reviews but, as we no longer have a flea problem, I can't say from experience. The use of cedar to kill and repel all kinds of insects is centuries old so I can believe it would work and, having tried the brush on our dogs, they were quite content to be treated - much more so than being sprayed! - and did not seem to mind the scent of cedar. It actually made their coats look quite glossy:

https://www.naturalenzymes.co.uk/pets-f ... -pet-brush

The other suggestions re tea tree or neem oil are also good ones and the use of garlic tablets.

One way to also clear a few fleas from a dog's coat is to use a shampoo (even a non specific one) massage into the coat and leave for at least 10 minutes before washing off. It is important not to wash it off before that or it will not necessarily kill any fleas in the hair. You can use a particular shampoo for treating / repelling parasites too:
https://www.myitchydog.co.uk/csj-skinny ... -more.html

Good luck :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 10 Sep 2018, 22:06

Thanks for the advice - I went with the shampoo idea. I got some neem oil pet shampoo on my way home from work and both girls were given a bath. I got 4 fleas off Edie and 3 off Rosie. Hardly an infestation I know but when the dogs sleep in your bedroom it's an unwelcome addition!

A few hours later and I've just groomed them and went through their coats with a fine tooth comb - nothing :)
You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

Hil54
Puppy
First Name: Hilary

Post by Hil54 » 09 Nov 2018, 22:58

I’m struggling to get rid of fleas on my mini. I bathed her yesterday and when dry, rubbed de into her coat. Washed everything in the house that would fit into the washing machine and hoovered. Today she still has fleas running around on her tummy. We have repeated bath, de and hoovering. What else should I do? We have ordered Indorex to spray house but it won’t arrive until Monday. At what point will I have to resort to chemicals on her.
Interestingly she is not scratching and has no bites or red patches. I presume they are fleas although look quite black?

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 10 Nov 2018, 10:03

Hilary, are you leaving the shampoo on for 10 mins and bathing all over then going over with a flea comb when dry? If so then the fleas are still in her environment and you need the Indorex. Keep using the flea comb on her until you can spray the house. The good news is that it sounds like your mini's skin is not sensitive to horrid things. If Otto had fleas (infestation rather than odd 1 or 2) then I would use a spot on treatment to eliminate them immediately and kill the cycle in the house. There could be a lot of fleas in the home in a couple of days of not acting. But that is just my choice.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......