Kibble

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 26 Mar 2019, 23:18

Hello everyone!

My breeder has asked me not to give kibble to my pup. What’s everyone’s take on this?

Thanks :)

User avatar
zeta1454
Moderator
Posts: 3920
Joined: 19 May 2011, 16:58
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Kibble

Post by zeta1454 » 27 Mar 2019, 06:58

Hi Abigail,
We used to feed kibble to our miniature schnauzers many years ago and tried to find the best possible in terms of ingredients however moved to raw feeding almost 12 years ago and have not looked back. There are nowadays a range of better quality kibble brands available but all kibble is essentially highly processed food which will need nutrients added back in as they are destroyed in the processing. As with humans, highly processed foods are not regarded as the best kind of food for good health.
The teeth and digestive system of dogs, despite the length of time they have been domesticated, remain those of a predominantly carnivore intended to tear and chew meat and are less efficient at dealing with carbohydrates and especially cereals which can often make up a large proportion of kibble foods.
The least processed the food - especially raw - the less stress it puts on the dog's digestive system and can maintain good health, keep teeth cleaner and help avoid obesity.

There are now a wide range of excellent prepared raw foods for dogs which can be purchased frozen for home delivery or from certain stores and it is not necessary to DIY raw feeding if you are new or reluctant to handle this.

I realise that your puppy's breeder may not have recommended raw as there are other types of food available too and you can explore some of the options via the All About Dog Food website as well as guidance on ingredients etc.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

However, from my experience with feeding raw to our 11 dogs currently over the last (almost) 12 years, I do recommend raw as IMO being the best to maintain good health, avoid digestive issues and minimise/ avoid the need for worming treatments too!

Did your puppy's breeder recommend a particular brand / type of food? You should usually get some of the food the puppy has been eating, from the breeder when you collect your pup as well as a schedule of times of meals and amounts to guide you.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud


https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

User avatar
Schnauzer Sam
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 20:40
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 11 Jun 2018
Location: Guernsey

Re: Kibble

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 27 Mar 2019, 09:20

Hi Abigail,

All of us here feed different food but what's important is that we all do what we think is best for our dogs. I'll share my experience with you but do bear in mind that you must do what you think is best for him.

Rosie (20 months) came to us from the breeder eating IAMS kibble. She finished off the kibble they's supplied us though towards the end we moved her across to James Welbeloved before settling on Forthglade. Edie (9 months) came to us from her breeder eating AVA wet food which we continued with until she too was transitioned onto Forthglade.

Rosie proved to be a really fussy eater and had runny poos every other day and would go days without eating at times. I really wanted to find something that they would both eat and would thrive on and I found it. They were switched onto Nutriment, which is a frozen RAW food. I just thaw it out overnight, weigh out the appropriate amount for them and watch it disappear. It's now been nearly 4 months and Rosie relishes each mouthful and Edie does laps of her bowl (and Rosie's) looking for any crumb that may have been missed :)) Rosie's digestion system has never been better. Quite honestly it's been a game changer for us.
Last edited by Schnauzer Sam on 27 Mar 2019, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/

Oscar 12345
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:28
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Kibble

Post by Oscar 12345 » 27 Mar 2019, 09:30

I think that is excellent news for your pup if your breeder is advising to steer clear of kibble, these will mean that her dogs haven't been fed on it. This is personal and I am no scientist or nutritional expert so I apologise to anyone who feeds their dogs kibble and have healthy dogs but I am strongly of the opinion that dry kibble contributes to a whole host of health problems in schnauzers particularly. I will never again feed my dog kibble. My 1st schnauzer was fed on it when he was young and he developed colitis for most of his life even though I later switched him to wet food, it was very sad not to be able to give him a treat of any kind, even healthy ones. Most people I have met with schnauzers all talk about their dogs having sensitive stomachs and the majority are feeding or have fed kibble. The facebook group for canine pancreatitis has many sufferers who have been fed kibble and many schnauzers unfortunately. I echo Leigh's comments above on raw. Do your research Abigail and I would also be interested to hear what your breeder recommends.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

User avatar
GoEmGo
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 15:50
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018
Contact:

Re: Kibble

Post by GoEmGo » 27 Mar 2019, 11:20

Hi Abigail

I am a newbie miniature schnauzer puppy mummy. We picked up Monty, our lovely boy nearly 5 weeks ago now. I'm the first to admit that I messed around with Monty's diet much too quickly to try and transition him from Royal Canin Kibble to something of a higher quality. Runny poop and sickness ensued. Monty definitely has a delicate tummy - he can't stomach treats at the vets and anything new, however small results in a runny poop. Fast forward 5 weeks and now Monty is relishing Barking Heads Puppy Days kibble. For Monty, this is the right food for him at the moment. He polishes it off every meal, poops are firm and regular, his coat is shiny and thick, he no longer chews his back paws (which was an issue when we first welcomed him home) and he is a happy little chap. Ingredients are high quality (for kibble) and it is grain free.

However, Monty is only 14 weeks old on Saturday, and if his breeder told us not to feed kibble as he was already being fed RAW we'd have probably continued as the breeder instructed.

I've definitely learned from my errors changing things too quickly. For Monty for now, it's Barking Heads. When he transitions to adult food, we may think again but not for the next few months. The community here is so kind and helpful, I'd recommend heeding their advice. The people here have helped me no end!

User avatar
Lou78
Member
Posts: 549
Joined: 13 Mar 2014, 21:08
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013
Location: Hyde, Cheshire

Re: Kibble

Post by Lou78 » 27 Mar 2019, 11:32

Hi Abigail, again as others have said, i can only offer advice based on our own experience.

Personally (and i know this is an unpopular opinion! EEK!) but i don't like the idea of raw feeding and I think it very much depends on you as an individual and your circumstances as to how you feel about this. I eat meat myself but hate handling raw meat or even the smell or having to look at it sometimes and it does turn my stomach just thinking about it! Might just be me! I am weird like that! I know there will be great advocates for raw feeding on here and I do respect that it works for some people.

Anyway, back to dogs! When we first got Ollie he was on kibble only and,...not a very good one! He was 1 year old. Early on, we discovered through trial and error that he needed a grain free food as he seemed to be getting more and more allergy symptoms (itching, bad skin, runny eyes, etc). Since then, we have tried and tested various other dry foods; James Wellbeloved, Skinners, Arden Grange ...to name a few. He is currently on Trophy dry kibble with Forthglade wet food mixed in (also sometimes Sainsburys grain fee or Vets Kitchen grain free pate type for a change) which he seems to enjoy. He is still a fussy eater and has never been one to mither for food. He will eat if he is hungry and that is it! Sometimes he will leave his bowl full of food for some time before he shows any interest. Touch wood though, he seems settled at the moment with this food and hasn't suffered any ill effects.

We do also mix in some carrot or sweet potato or cooked chicken (depending what we have had!) - not every day just now and again. I have recently been trialling a different dry kibble food i bought a sample pack of; Seven Pet Food. Theirs are all grain free i think and Ollie seems to enjoy it. They do a Superfood mix i think i will try next for him to introduce slowly with the one he is on.

If you do decide to go with kibble, have a look on the All About Dog Food site and their directory that rates hundreds of different food out of 5 points and definitely helped me have an idea of what i should be looking for...and what i should be avoiding.

Good luck! It is a minefield once you start looking into these things!

User avatar
mikegoodson1
Member
Posts: 535
Joined: 31 Mar 2016, 11:52
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: Kibble

Post by mikegoodson1 » 27 Mar 2019, 11:48

Another kibble owner here :)

My two came from their breeder on Arden Grange, I transitioned both onto McAdams (meat meal free and grain free) - we also mix in a little wet food (Natures:Menu), to alleviate any food boredom.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... mall-breed

Both my two are all good on this (touch wood), no dodgy tummies or skin complaints, they seem happy, always look forward to meal time and have plenty of exercise. So, I guess it's like most things, a personal choice.

After reading many articles on here and watching items on TV too, I have been tempted by RAW feeding but to be honest, that is because I am swayed by everyone telling me of the health benefits (and in fairness, this is usually either by people RAW feeding their dogs already or by vets or others that have some involvement/vested interest in RAW feeding or associated companies) - so if there was ever some balanced and un-biased opinions/articles, it would be good to see them. Saying that, I guess everyone has some sort of bias one way or the other!

As my two seem happy as they are and there are no reasons to change, I'll keep them on what we use currently but whatever you choose, the priority is that they are healthy and enjoy their food :ymhug:

User avatar
jacdales
Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 18 Jul 2013, 13:07
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006
Location: Peterborough

Re: Kibble

Post by jacdales » 27 Mar 2019, 15:38

my two are on Honey's real dog food (honeysrealdogfood.com) Both came to me on kibble diets but as I already had dog that was allergic to nearly all food and I was feeding her a single protein raw food team schnauzer were transitioned to raw food as well. Honeys is also a low fat version so good for schnauzers imho. They have been on this diet for 5 and 2 years now and the vet tells me they are very healthy.

Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 27 Mar 2019, 16:01

zeta1454 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 06:58
Hi Abigail,
We used to feed kibble to our miniature schnauzers many years ago and tried to find the best possible in terms of ingredients however moved to raw feeding almost 12 years ago and have not looked back. There are nowadays a range of better quality kibble brands available but all kibble is essentially highly processed food which will need nutrients added back in as they are destroyed in the processing. As with humans, highly processed foods are not regarded as the best kind of food for good health.
The teeth and digestive system of dogs, despite the length of time they have been domesticated, remain those of a predominantly carnivore intended to tear and chew meat and are less efficient at dealing with carbohydrates and especially cereals which can often make up a large proportion of kibble foods.
The least processed the food - especially raw - the less stress it puts on the dog's digestive system and can maintain good health, keep teeth cleaner and help avoid obesity.

There are now a wide range of excellent prepared raw foods for dogs which can be purchased frozen for home delivery or from certain stores and it is not necessary to DIY raw feeding if you are new or reluctant to handle this.

I realise that your puppy's breeder may not have recommended raw as there are other types of food available too and you can explore some of the options via the All About Dog Food website as well as guidance on ingredients etc.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

However, from my experience with feeding raw to our 11 dogs currently over the last (almost) 12 years, I do recommend raw as IMO being the best to maintain good health, avoid digestive issues and minimise/ avoid the need for worming treatments too!

Did your puppy's breeder recommend a particular brand / type of food? You should usually get some of the food the puppy has been eating, from the breeder when you collect your pup as well as a schedule of times of meals and amounts to guide you.
Hello Leigh,

Thanks for your informative response. I have been considering raw but have been put off by some negative information I have read recently regarding contamination. Although your experience of feeding raw has been very positive. I shall think about it again.

I haven’t picked my pup up yet. The breeder is going to give me details of feeding schedules and food for pup when I do. We did discuss food and a few other things when I first met the puppies and their mum. That’s when she asked me not to give the pup any kibble.

I must admit because I thought that kibble was better quality nowadays and I knew about the need to avoid cereals, I didn’t consider how processed kibble actually is. Thanks for reminding me of this. :)

Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 27 Mar 2019, 16:06

Schnauzer Sam wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 09:20
Hi Abigail,

All of us here feed different food but what's important is that we all do what we think is best for our dogs. I'll share my experience with you but do bear in mind that you must do what you think is best for him.

Rosie (20 months) came to us from the breeder eating IAMS kibble. She finished off the kibble they's supplied us though towards the end we moved her across to James Welbeloved before settling on Forthglade. Edie (9 months) came to us from her breeder eating AVA wet food which we continued with until she too was transitioned onto Forthglade.

Rosie proved to be a really fussy eater and had runny poos every other day and would go days without eating at times. I really wanted to find something that they would both eat and would thrive on and I found it. They were switched onto Nutriment, which is a frozen RAW food. I just thaw it out overnight, weigh out the appropriate amount for them and watch it disappear. It's now been nearly 4 months and Rosie relishes each mouthful and Edie does laps of her bowl (and Rosie's) looking for any crumb that may have been missed :)) Rosie's digestion system has never been better. Quite honestly it's been a game changer for us.
Hello Sam,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It’s great that raw has been such a success for your dogs. I know that many dog owners swear by it. I will think about it and definitely do what’s best for my boy :)

Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 27 Mar 2019, 17:56

jacdales wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 15:38
my two are on Honey's real dog food (honeysrealdogfood.com) Both came to me on kibble diets but as I already had dog that was allergic to nearly all food and I was feeding her a single protein raw food team schnauzer were transitioned to raw food as well. Honeys is also a low fat version so good for schnauzers imho. They have been on this diet for 5 and 2 years now and the vet tells me they are very healthy.
Hi Jackie,

It seems that raw food is the way to go for schnauzer and all dogs health :) I will look into the raw food suppliers. I must admit I am a bit squeamish about it though! =))

User avatar
zeta1454
Moderator
Posts: 3920
Joined: 19 May 2011, 16:58
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Kibble

Post by zeta1454 » 27 Mar 2019, 17:58

There is a wealth of different types of dog food available nowadays so there is not just a raw v kibble choice. Tinned, pouches, freeze dried, dehydrated, and probably even more ways of processing food and there is no doubt that, as schnauzers can be easy to feed on any kind of food, it may not be a problem finding something that will please and maintain well, a fit, healthy dog. Just research as much as you can and I am sure you will find a food that suits your lifestyle and maintains your puppy through adulthood and into old age fit and well.

As a vegetarian, I was a bit dismayed initially when we had a raw weaned puppy who turned up his nose at any kibble. However, the current availability of prepared raw meat meals from small firms passionate about dogs' well being (and the welfare of the animals whose meat is used in the dog food) makes the BARF approach much easier for anyone unsure about going down that route due to worries over nutritional balance, quality of ingredients and health & safety issues.

I am not "fundamentalist" about raw feeding and believe everyone should make all choices on the health care / feeding of their dog based on their own research and knowledge of what is most appropriate and will maintain well-being into old age. However, information on many aspects of food and healthcare can be (as mentioned above) affected by the vested interests of those giving out that information (pet food manufacturers/ pharmaceutical companies / corporate owned veterinary practices). As regards raw meat and contamination - for example - with Salmonella: this and other bacteria have been isolated from raw meat for dogs and this has been one of the fears used to deter pet owners from feeding their animals as a result. There is no doubt that salmonella can be found in raw meat as it is a widespread bacteria and has also been isolated in kibble, meat for sale for human consumption and even in bagged salads from supermarkets. The health risks to humans and animals due to pets being fed raw meat are not based on actual figures of people or animals becoming ill but on speculation that because bacteria are in meat it could make them ill.

Clearly handling raw meat is not confined to feeding dogs but to any family who prepare meals using raw meat for themselves and exactly the same hygiene precautions used in these circumstances will also protect humans from bacteria in the meat for their dogs' meals. As far as the dogs themselves are concerned, their digestive system has such strong acidity (if raw fed) that the likelihood of becoming sick as a result of salmonella in their food is minimal unless they are already poorly, immune compromised etc.

Prepared raw food for dogs in the UK is subject to DEFRA rules and regulations and inspected regularly. It is frozen at extreme low temperatures which minimise the likelihood of bacterial contamination causing any health issues. There are a couple of links here which explain in more detail:

http://www.rawessentials.co.nz/food-safety-salmonella

https://vetsallnatural.com.au/digesting ... dogs-cats/

This is not to convince you that nothing but raw will do for your puppy and anyone thinking of feeding raw meat to their dogs should do the research into the standards of companies supplying it as with any other type of food, but I just wanted to give some perspective on issues that can be misrepresented in the press or via certain vet surgeries and other pet businesses with links to large corporations who monopolise much of pet service provision worldwide :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud


https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 27 Mar 2019, 18:03

mikegoodson1 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:48
Another kibble owner here :)

My two came from their breeder on Arden Grange, I transitioned both onto McAdams (meat meal free and grain free) - we also mix in a little wet food (Natures:Menu), to alleviate any food boredom.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-f ... mall-breed

Both my two are all good on this (touch wood), no dodgy tummies or skin complaints, they seem happy, always look forward to meal time and have plenty of exercise. So, I guess it's like most things, a personal choice.

After reading many articles on here and watching items on TV too, I have been tempted by RAW feeding but to be honest, that is because I am swayed by everyone telling me of the health benefits (and in fairness, this is usually either by people RAW feeding their dogs already or by vets or others that have some involvement/vested interest in RAW feeding or associated companies) - so if there was ever some balanced and un-biased opinions/articles, it would be good to see them. Saying that, I guess everyone has some sort of bias one way or the other!

As my two seem happy as they are and there are no reasons to change, I'll keep them on what we use currently but whatever you choose, the priority is that they are healthy and enjoy their food :ymhug:
Hello Mike :)

It is true that it’s down to personal preference. It’s great that your two are doing well on their food. I will look at the link that you have included - someone else did too. I forget who now! I have just remembered what the breeder is giving the pups atm. Naturediet and Butchers I think.

Thanks for your response. :)

Oscar 12345
Member
Posts: 1031
Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:28
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Kibble

Post by Oscar 12345 » 27 Mar 2019, 19:39

Abigail, that's interesting. Otto was weaned on Naturediet puppy and butcher's tripe (oh and a before bedtime half weetabix for some reason). I then moved him on entirely Naturediet puppy at about 3 months. He did extremely well on that and I put him on Naturediet grain free adult at 6 months. Naturediet would be one of my preferred go to wet foods that I would feed if not on raw. You have plenty of time to consider other foods and I wouldn't be changing from what he is on now in the short term especially when you have injections and things to get through and it is rated a high quality feed. If you plan on feeding wet food longer term make sure you train your little one to accept a good teeth cleaning regime because it can affect teeth hygiene quite badly.
Every snack you make
Every meal you bake
Every bite you take
He'll be watching you......

Figgleypiggley+72
Puppy
Posts: 19
Joined: 24 Mar 2019, 02:54
First Name: Abigail

Re: Kibble

Post by Figgleypiggley+72 » 27 Mar 2019, 19:56

Oscar 12345 wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 19:39
Abigail, that's interesting. Otto was weaned on Naturediet puppy and butcher's tripe (oh and a before bedtime half weetabix for some reason). I then moved him on entirely Naturediet puppy at about 3 months. He did extremely well on that and I put him on Naturediet grain free adult at 6 months. Naturediet would be one of my preferred go to wet foods that I would feed if not on raw. You have plenty of time to consider other foods and I wouldn't be changing from what he is on now in the short term especially when you have injections and things to get through and it is rated a high quality feed. If you plan on feeding wet food longer term make sure you train your little one to accept a good teeth cleaning regime because it can affect teeth hygiene quite badly.
That is interesting!

Thanks for advice about changing diet and teeth! I will start teeth cleaning regime straight away. The breeder said not to use a toothbrush at first. She said to use a finger and get pup used to having mouth touched.

Thanks again.

Post Reply