Jasper's puppy days

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Jasper's puppy days

Post by Dawnspell »

Jasper had his first annual check up last week. He weighed in at 9.6 kg despite this he is still a bag of bones you can feel his hip bones and every rib. I can't up his food as he doesn't eat the amount recommended for his size as it is. There is always food available, hes just not bothered, some days he only days about a third of his food.

I asked the vet what she thought, she said he is definitely closer to underweight than perfect weight but it's probably a combination of him being very active and still being intact. She wasn't worried as he is otherwise healthy and alert, she said think of him as a very hairy whippet, as whippets are skinny but healthy =))

He is most definitely the skinniest mini I've come across, he also doesn't like his photo being taken :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

A Happy photo from this mornings walk
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

He does look a character Alison and he looks good. Otto was really lean too at that age, I kept upping his food until he was on about 360g of raw food a day plus lunch of a half fillet of salmon or similar and training treats. He just didn't seem to put any weight on but he had a lot of nervous/tense energy. He has always eaten like a horse though. Then with the castration implant things started to change and I had to decrease his food quite considerably. He is 8.5kg now and fed 280g raw a day plus a fishy lunch and treats which are mainly fruit.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Oscar 12345 wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 11:13 He does look a character
And thats just his ears :))

I've had to give up on raw he's just not keen on it. Example the country hunter menu nuggets he was supposed to have around 25 nuggets a day. I'd put out half in the morning and he'd leave 3 or 4 on the plate, wouldn't touch them again, not ideal with raw in the summer. If I put more out for tea time he would just walk away and not eat any. He would only eat bits of the complete raw blocks and only if i hand fed him :)) Wouldnt eat the free flow minces but will eat human mince. He does eat lamb ribs,heart,liver and chicken carcass/wings.

He does eat Country hunter cans but again hes supposed to have 1 - 1.5 cans a day he will eat at most three quarters of a can. He also eats the true instinct freeze dried raw nuggets which can be left out for him to graze on without the fly problem, and he likes the country hunter superfood crunch range of nuggets.

However show him a Morrisons fresh baked French Baguette and he will do anything for a smell never mind a taste =))
Our first family dog