Weight Gain After Spaying

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Hilary1217
First Name: Hilary

Weight Gain After Spaying

Post by Hilary1217 » 07 Sep 2019, 10:31

I’m about to have my miniature schnauzer spayed. She is almost six months old. I’m worried that she will gain weight after the operation. I’m feeding her on Barking Heads puppy food. Any advice would be appreciated

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Weight Gain After Spaying

Post by zeta1454 » 07 Sep 2019, 20:10

Hi Hilary and welcome to the Forum :-)

Do you have a pressing reason for having your mini spayed so young? There is much evidence to suggest that spaying/neutering before a dog has matured can have a detrimental effect on health and behaviour and weight gain is one of the least potential issues. Do have a look at this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=24025&p=301044&hil ... ay#p301044

There is little downside to waiting until a dog has matured before neutering / spaying unless there is an urgent reason why it has to be done early. A bitch only has one or possibly two seasons before maturity and the benefits of allowing her to do so can be great.

As regards weight gain post spay, we have found that this is rarely an issue if a dog is exercising regularly and not being given excess treats. Obesity tends to occur as a dog ages and is exercised less, given too many treats etc. None of our current 11 dogs have been neutered before a year old and none have needed a significant reduction in food. This will vary between individuals and some dogs do seem to gain weight more easily than others - whether neutered or not. The metabolism may slow slightly but I would be inclined to wait and see how your mini's weight stabilises before making any changes to amounts of food. Reduce treats before reducing meal quantity if need be but you may not need to make any substantial changes.
We do feed our dogs on a raw meat diet though so I could not advise re Barking Heads specifically :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/