Hello

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: Dawnspell, GaryThomlinson, zeta1454

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Stepboy99
First Name: Stephen
Dog #1: Cooper
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 18 Sep 2019

Hello

Post by Stepboy99 » 17 Nov 2019, 14:34

Good Afternoon All....

Been reading the forum for a month or so now while I was waiting on my male giant, he has been here a week now and Cooper is settling in well. He is 8 weeks old.

I have two Scottish Terriers who have accepted him well in fact surprisingly well, that was a major concern but all is good....... at the moment.....

He is eating raw puppy food at the moment and can’t get enough of it, he is on approx 575g a day split into 3 meals..... believe it or not he is toilet trained already and sits and lies down when told! Can’t believe how quick he picks things up.....

He’s been to a puppy party and is enrolled for another 3......he loved the party and got on well after being a bit reserved when he arrived......

I know I should be giving him about 10mins a day on lead walking but I have a large garden and he likes to run on the lawn and chase leaves etc....... it’s really difficult to restrict him to just 10mins as I think he would get really frustrated. I have read the excercise topic and understand that over doing it could do long term damage but if off lead in the house he flies about and has mad 5min spurts of madness A couple of times a day!, should I be stopping this as well?

I know I have my work cut out With this breed and a novice with GS to boot but looking forward to it and up for the challenge and I have now plenty of time to devote to Cooper.

Will try and upload a photo at the end of this post but I’m on my iPhone at the moment so might not be able to.......

I’m in Scotland, highland Perthshire so if any other giants close by it would be good to hear from you to bounce things off as no doubt there will be trials and tribulations along the way!

Thanks

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hello

Post by zeta1454 » 17 Nov 2019, 14:48

Hello Stephen and Cooper - welcome to the Forum :-)

What a lovely boy - so much fun ahead for you both!

No experience myself with Giants so hopefully Forum members with this breed will be able to offer their help and advice. Re the exercise, free play running in the garden should be fine I think it is the repetitive hard surface lead walking that needs to be restricted. There is a link here (with a further link at the bottom of the web page to a chart) which may help:

https://www.puppyculture.com/new-approp ... rcise.html
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Hello

Post by Oscar 12345 » 17 Nov 2019, 16:36

How exciting, a GS and a lovely name. Sounds like your first week has been very successful in your intros with your terriers and wow 575g a day. Hope you keep us posted on how he grows. I adore Giants and your Cooper looks adorable.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.