New Puppy - Ear Cropping Opinions?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Kcpowell19
Puppy
First Name: Kaelyn

New Puppy - Ear Cropping Opinions?

Post by Kcpowell19 » 02 Feb 2020, 14:03

Hey guys! We are getting our new puppy sometime in March. We are planning on breeding her in the future so this has been a search for over two years that we have finally completed!! Lol to say we are excited to get her home would be an understatement.

I'm posting to ask you guys about opinions on cropping ears? And supporting info if you have it would be great. I am SO happy because we have found a breeder who is giving us the option to NOT crop them if we don't want to do so. We are in the US so cropping is still very common here, unfortunately. While researching to come to this decision I have been told by A LOT of people that minis are prone to infections in the ears if they are left floppy... is this true???? Because I have always thought it was more of a cosmetic thing.

I also want to add that they are ALL beautiful and if you prefer them cropped I am not judging you whatsoever! I know that is typical for show dogs, but we will not be showing her and she will be spending her entire life with us. I have just found that, in my opinion, cropping is a lot of unnecessary pain and stress for pups at such a young age with the procedure and all that comes with.

Thanks in advance!!! Here are some updated pics we received of our girl yesterday for you too!!! :x :D

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New Puppy - Ear Cropping Opinions?

Post by zeta1454 » 02 Feb 2020, 14:25

Hi Kaelyn- lovely photo :-)

Re ear cropping dogs - this is illegal in the UK and has been for over a century. Tail docking is actually also illegal here * (with a very few exceptions) since 2007 but it would not be possible to show a dog with cropped ears in the UK.

As you say, the practice of cropping a dog's ears really is just cosmetic and does carry significant risk and trauma to the puppy. Any dog can be prone to ear infections and leaving the ear flaps entire is not going to affect this either way. We have another breed as well as miniature schnauzers who naturally can have erect ears or drop ears and we have both variations with no difference in their ear health.

If you have the option of keeping your little one's ears untouched, I would take it. Schnauzer ears do vary in how they settle naturally but they are all lovely in their own way :-)

* No criticism intended to you re your little puppy being docked. It is a procedure done very early in a puppy's life before leaving the breeder. Our first 3 mini schnauzers here in Britain had docked tails as it was the norm before the law changed. It was strange at first seeing many traditionally docked dogs with tails but hard to imagine now :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 02 Feb 2020, 15:07

There is a link below to an article by the American Veterinary Medical Association on the topic too where they state:

".....although it is widely believed that pendulous ears increase the risk of otitis externa, there is a lack of strong scientific evidence establishing and quantifying the strength of this link."

And:

"There appears to be no single primary cause of otitis externa and risk factors vary substantially by breed....In the future, it may be demonstrated that certain breeds benefit from prophylactic treatment; however this recommendation is unlikely to apply to all breeds. Furthermore, the surgery commonly performed to avoid (re)occurrence of otitis externa aims to open or remove the ear canal rather than reduce the pinna (ear flap). In all of the scientific papers reviewed the authors’ recommendation was that at-risk dogs should be monitored and treated proactively in a way that addressed the primary cause—none of these papers identified ear conformation as the primary cause.."

https://www.avma.org/about/ear-cropping ... xterna-faq

Another couple of links here too:

https://www.puppyleaks.com/before-you-c ... ider-this/

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/do ... hysically/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 02 Feb 2020, 19:58

Nothing to add to this except I love the pendulous/uncropped ear of the schnauzer. She is super cute Kaelyn.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell » 03 Feb 2020, 09:33

Hi and welcome.
I would say that in US because ear cropping is so common correct ear set isn't as much of a consideration when choosing dogs to breed from. There is an increased chance of fly away ears (ears that stand straight up with out cropping) in pups. When deciding what to do with your pup I would look at the parents and ask the breeder if they know the correct ear set of their breeding dogs or have they always been cropped ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"