Loyalty Shift

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Black_Velvet
First Name: Angela

Loyalty Shift

Post by Black_Velvet »

I am sooooooooo sad right now. My "Velvet" is the light of my life since she came into my life 6 years ago. She has always been so obedient and happy and loving. But a few weeks ago she disowned me. Wants nothing to do with me. She is defiant, refuses to come when I call her. Doesn't want to cuddle or show any affection with me. When the 2 of us are home alone she gets as far away from me as she can. I am heart broken. Has this ever happened to any of you??

~Angela
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Loyalty Shift

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Angela and welcome to the Forum.

Did anything at all happen a few weeks ago that may have affected Velvet? Any changes in her routine, something different in the house, any event or person / other animal visiting or coming to stay? Were there any vet visits at that time, did she have any medication or other treatment? Is she in pain?

If there are no reasons however remote that you think may have triggered this odd change in behaviour, I would take Velvet to the vet for a check up as it could be that she is in pain or something is making her feel so uncomfortable that she doesn't feel able to get close to you. If this also draws a blank, I would maybe see if you can find a qualified pet behaviourist who may be able to assess Velvet in consultation with you as to what may be going on.

These are all just suggestions as I have never experienced this with our dogs although I have known dogs in pain to withdraw into themselves and be unwilling to get close and not want to participate in their usual activities but it is quickly resolved when they are no longer unwell.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Angela, how very odd and I am sure it must hurt when the behaviour is so different to what you are used to. To add to Leigh's comments, Is she acting normally with anyone else, other family members? If so I would be somewhat encouraged from a health perspective. I did google your problem and there does seem to be quite a bit of experience of this behaviour without any answers though. Hope you don't find anything untoward and if she gets an all clear from the vet I guess the answer is to give her the space she wants, do interesting things near her and wait for her to show you how much she loves you.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

From another angle I've heard of rare cases when the owner has been ill and the dog can "smell" the illness and stays away, or change of perfume,deodorant, shampoo. They can be very sensitive to things we don't even think about.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"