New family member

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Volumnus1
Puppy
First Name: Scott

New family member

Post by Volumnus1 » 25 Feb 2020, 03:25

4 months ago, I got a 6 month old male miniature schnauzer. He's short but thick. He is now 10 months old and weighs 20 lbs. A few days ago, I got a small female miniature schnauzer. She weighs 10lbs. In spite of the size difference, they have already bonded. They play like crazy and nap together. He is very gentle with her. She has adjusted to her new home much faster than he did. I think he has helped her immensely to feel welcome and safe.

Here is our issue. It took us about a month to housebreak our male. We basically just took him out on a leash and walked him around the yard every two hours, and he figured it out.

This little female freezes on a leash. Her former owner says she was 100% house broken, but they had a large fenced in yard. They would let her out a few times a day along with their other dogs. I'm in the process of adding some fencing in my backyard, but it will still be a small lot that is nothing like the huge area she had at her previous home.

I can tell she is ashamed of peeing and pooping in the house. I've been taking her out every few hours. Unlike my male, she doesn't run off, but she won't do her business in my yard. She sniffs and sniffs and then pees or poops as soon as she comes back inside.

I'm afraid she is going to cause my male to revert to peeing and pooping in the house again, and I'm not sure putting up the outdoor fence is going to make a difference. How do you think I should proceed?

She will walk all over the yard and not run off, but if I connect her to a light little cable, she will freeze. As tame as she is, I'm afraid she will get away from me outside. I worry about owls, coyotes, stray dogs, etc...

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: New family member

Post by zeta1454 » 25 Feb 2020, 07:10

Welcome to the Forum, Scott.

I will post some comments re your post later and other Forum members are sure to offer you useful advice in the meantime :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 25 Feb 2020, 14:35

Scott, welcome to the forum. They are lovely. I don't have any experience of having two dogs at the same time however, it sounds key to get your little girl to comfortable with a lead as freezing means she is very scared of it. Starting slowly in the home with the lead on the floor and treats get her used to looking at it and feeling it to the point where perhaps you can clip it on to her collar and let her just drag it around the house, treating as you go, even letting her sleep attached to it. Then may be progressing to being able to walk her around the house with it so she isn't scared of it. Then moving to outside. If you have a long line leash maybe you can clip it to the collar and let it drag behind her in the yard for a while just so she gets used to the feeling, much safer also than worrying whether something awful is going to happen until you get your fencing sorted. My instinct would tell me that she should learn from your male and follow him when he goes out to do something. I know that works for pups. Hopefully some better advice will come along for you.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 25 Feb 2020, 17:12

Hi Scott - good advice from Julie re leash training.

I would try to get your yard fenced as soon as possible however as it is going to be hard on you if you can only ever let your new schnauzer out when you have her on lead and it will be much safer from stray animals coming in too.

House training will be much easier if she is allowed to explore the yard without a lead and the fact that she is attached to it is making her reluctant to pee and poo in the yard as it is not something she has experienced before. You don't say how old your new schnauzer is but, if she had been used to always toileting in a yard when running free, and presumably was never accustomed to a leash at all, she will not only be scared of the leash but doesn't understand that you expect her to pee and poo when it is on.

If your male schnauzer is fully house trained he is unlikely to change overnight to peeing and pooing in the home but, if your new mini girl is not spayed you may find he will mark where she goes in the future as she matures / comes into season.

My advice would be to get your fence up as soon as you possibly can and allow your schnauzer girl to be off lead in your back yard, accompanied by you if you fear predators. She may well start using the yard immediately once you have removed the leash. This does not mean you should not also leash train her but this may take a long time if she is really scared and you need to get her peeing/pooing outside as soon as possible especially if she is really upset about doing it inside as well.

Depending how quickly you can get the fence up, I would try to find another way to temporarily secure the boundary of your yard so as to be able to let her out off leash and supervise her so that you know she has toileted before being allowed indoors. As said above, usually dogs will go where their companions have been before and learn from the older dogs what is expected.

It is great that the two get on so well - that is really lovely :-)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Volumnus1
Puppy

Post by Volumnus1 » 27 Mar 2020, 03:40

I fenced in the backyard. I kept working with leash training her. She does fine now.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 » 27 Mar 2020, 10:05

Scott, great news, glad she is doing well.

Volumnus1
Puppy

Post by Volumnus1 » 30 Mar 2020, 22:37

Do you guys think I will be able to get Mollie to stop barking at strangers? Reggie still growls a little, but I can easily take him for walks on a leash, and he isn't too barky. Mollie barks non-stop at people, even in they are 50 yards away. She is getting close to two years old. Reggie just got better every time we went out. I'm hoping Mollie adjusts, or we will have to leave her home.

Oscar 12345

Post by Oscar 12345 » 31 Mar 2020, 10:34

Yes you can with positive training, patience and time. Consider the thing that makes Molly bark the "trigger". Arm yourself with lovely treats, something you know that you can can get attention with. Notice the point at which Molly will notice the trigger and bark. This distance might vary. When walking, as soon as you see something which might trigger the barking watch Molly to the point just before you think she is going to react then treat, treat, treat. She will perhaps look back at the trigger and then back to you for a treat. Then either stop until the trigger has gone away or if you can, redirect Molly away from the trigger. That's the strategy, keep at a distance (social distancing really helps here) where Molly doesn't bark. If Molly barks then you are probably too close to the trigger so give yourself more space. Keep doing this, over time, and it has taken me a long time with Otto, and eventually you find you can get closer and closer to the trigger without any reaction but it does take patience and great observation. It is easier to do with one dog rather than two but difficult at the moment with these rules. She is very young so excited at everything. Really important to try and keep her calm, calm dogs don't react.