Advice Please

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Advice Please

Post by Bracken 01 » 10 Mar 2020, 20:45

Bracken has had the sickness bug that is going around he is better now, but was quite ill for a while, over a period of 2weeks he had a episodes of sickness and bloody
diaorea over this period we where back and for the vets three times he eventually ended up overnight on a drip he was very unhappy in the vets which made him very depressed.
As this had gone on so long I asked would they do every test they thought he needed rather than go back and for. Every test come back normal apart from he has a low reading for bit B12 which he is now on tablets for.
Bracken has been on natural instinct since a pup he is now 6 his stools have always been good but as he has got older he has suffered from a rumberly stomach I ended up boiling white rice and mixing a small amount with his food this seemed to settle his stomach, but always in the back of my mind was to change his food.
He has been on Hills Prescription digestive care for 2 weeks his stools are OK but not as firm as on raw the Vet suggests keeping him on the Hills permernantly I do not want him on this longer than needed which will be another 4wks as he is being castrated in 2wks.
My delemer is what food do I change 2 it has to be hypoallergenic I give him a small amount of kibble in the morning and wet food which is his main meal evening time.
With natural instinct it never stuck to is beard with this Hills food it sticks, so I have too hand feed him,so the new food has to be quite firm, any suggestions please.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Advice Please

Post by zeta1454 » 11 Mar 2020, 08:36

Hi Annie - so sorry to hear that Bracken has been unwell. There have been quite a few dogs suffering a range of digestive issues over the past few months in the UK and it could well be that the mild winter and extensive flooding / heavy rain has all contributed to there being more bacteria "bugs" around.

When you say that Bracken needs a hypoallergenic food - is this for a particular allergy or issue? Although I do understand that some dogs may not thrive on raw and some people have particular reasons not to feed this but I do believe in most cases dogs do have better health on a quality raw diet. Looking at a sample ingredients list of Hills food, this really is not food for dogs IMO:

"With chicken: Maize, brewers¿ rice, dried whole egg, chicken (16%) and turkey meal, digest, minerals, maize gluten meal, dried beet pulp, animal fat, soybean oil, flaxseed, psyllium, vitamins, trace elements and beta-carotene. With a natural antioxidant (mixed tocopherols)."

It is primarily maize and rice with a very small amount of meat and added oils. The high carbohydrate content is really not ideal for dogs. Hills and other well known brands are among the feeds recommended by vets because they have a beneficial financial relationship with that particular company to promote the brand.

If you were happy with Natural Instinct except for his rumbling tummy, it could be an idea to look at adding a probiotic such as YuDigest to his previous food and/or Tree Barks Powder which are both helpful for digestion and to support this in an ageing dog (although 6 is still young really):

https://www.lintbells.com/products/yudigest-for-dogs

https://www.dorwest.com/blog/soothe-dog ... ks-powder/

There are also other brands of raw food for dogs which have special formulas for dogs with sensitivity to certain foods which could be an alternative although I would not advise too many changes of food as Bracken has had a bad digestive illness in the recent past. If you are only looking for kibble or wet food I would suggest trying to find one with the highest meat / fish content and low or no grains / legumes but hopefully someone else on the Forum will be able to offer advice specifically on these :)

Brewers Yeast which can be purchased as a supplement for dogs is a good source of B12 as well as liver for a natural source of this vitamin unless the lack is due to a serious health issue.

You also mention that Bracken is to be castrated in 2 weeks. Is this for a health or behaviour issue? It seems quite a significant operation fairly soon after he has not been well and I wonder if it is worth postponing this surgery for a bit longer until he is fully back to normal eating a regular food?
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 » 11 Mar 2020, 09:26

I feel your pain as we have had a poorly doggy for the best part of a month. On and off not all the time, all blood work is clear. The next step for us would be an ultrasound abdominal scan but we are holding off for a couple of weeks on that. Mainly because he is so stressed in the vets and this would mean him staying in the without one of us with him, i am not sure how good it would be for him. He is a nightmare just taking him to the vets when he is "in and out" in 5 minutes. Ollie has not been sick for a week but i don't want to get overly excited as this has happened before and then he has had a set back.

Food wise, we did the chicken and rice for a few days after each incident then gone back slowly to his kibble (grain free Premium Trophy - duck and veg) and a topper of either Sainsbury's own chicken and veg broth type or Naturo Pate (again grain free). We have gone back to feeding him 2 smaller meals a day which we haven't done for a while but thinking it might help the digestion issue if he has "little and often" rather than a walloping great big meal!

He has had a fibre supplement on his food for some time to help with anal gland issues but we have also introduced a YuDigest probiotic chewable tablet too. Worth a shot!

Let us know how Bracken gets on. x

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo » 11 Mar 2020, 13:11

Hi Annie

Our boy, Monty was a bit sickly at six months and had some sort of bug/colitis issue. This went on for a few weeks and it was only when we began using Yudigest that things improved. He has one tablet crushed in his breakfast every morning. He's not had an issue since (touch wood) and he's now nearly 15 months old.

We also swapped him from a kibble to a high quality grain free wet tray food as we felt it would be gentler to digest. Our vet agreed. Monty has the grain free lamb and veg variety of Wainwrights from Pets at Home. He has one tray a day split over two meals. But I also know that the raw food diet can be a worthwhile option for many schnauzers - Monty has a lot of paw pals who have a raw diet and thrive.

jacdales
First Name: Jackie
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 28 May 2013
Dog #2: Suzi
Born: 13 Jun 2017
Dog #3: mahri
Born: 20 May 2006

Post by jacdales » 13 Mar 2020, 16:26

My team are fed on Honey's you can get single protein low fat. I have not had a problem with them on this food. I tried feeding one of these new insect protein based foods because my old Airedale was said to have had a mild intolerance to certain proteins and the vet wanted her on Hills or Royal Canin I did not want to go down that route as I had not had good reports about them. My old girl ended up with cysytits and bladder issues having been fed raw for so long she was not a big drinker Hamish will eat if but the noise from his tummy and the smelly gas is not good so they went back on raw.
https://honeysrealdogfood.com/

Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 » 13 Mar 2020, 22:30

Just posted a reply saved draft and lost everything help please.

Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 » 13 Mar 2020, 23:16

Thank you every body for replying Bracken has been on yudigest tablets for 2 yrs. Bracken needs too be castrated as soon as possible as he comes to the end of his medication for a benign prostrate tumour at the end of March so it has to be sorted as soon as. He his back to normal apart from losing weight I will leave it another fortnite before castration.
Regarding his food I have had 3 senior Vets not happy with him being on raw food and stating some dog's need grain to help with digestion, and too put him on a Hypoallergenic food.
He has been on Harrington's no grain salmon and sweet potatoe kibble for 6 months just a small amount in the morning, thinking of trying the Harringtons wet food trays but it looks a bit mushy to me, anybody tryed this food?. Also like the look of Lilly's tinned food. I definatly won't keep him on the Hills as I have read it is of a poor quality, I see know reason too, he has know real chronic illness.
Hi Lou, Bracken also has anul problems needs expressing every 6 to 8 weeks, have you thought of given a seditive to Ollie and having any more tests done on the same day. I insisted every test was done, last of all a B12 count which may be part of his problem as a low reading can cause stomach irritation.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 14 Mar 2020, 10:08

Hi Annie, I fed my first schnauzer on Lily's tinned food for about 2-3 years. He had colitis most of his life and for a while he did well on it with the occasional bout. Some flavours were better than others and I think the ones for sensitive tummy (senior and recovery) along with the wild campfire and lamb hotpot worked the best. It was quite sloppy so had to feed it by hand otherwise it would have been all over his beard. Then he just couldn't tolerate that but tolerated Royal Canin Castro Intestinal tinned food. He was always put on that when he was getting through colitis. He was on that until I lost him and he did ok on that. Not a good food I realise but it was the only thing he could eat. I believe Chappie is the cheap alternative and many people having dogs with tummy problems swear by it. I can't believe I am mentioning it on here but if you are at a complete loss and worried about losing weight it might be a good stop gap particularly if you need to build the little fella up a bit prior to surgery.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

jacdales

Post by jacdales » 14 Mar 2020, 11:25

I used to feed one of my dogs chappie it used to be food that vets recommended for sensitive tums, My dog became allergic to fish so I had to find an alternative.

Lou78
First Name: Louise
Dog #1: Ollie
Born: 26 Jun 2013

Post by Lou78 » 16 Mar 2020, 10:02

Bracken 01 wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 23:16
Hi Lou, Bracken also has anul problems needs expressing every 6 to 8 weeks, have you thought of given a seditive to Ollie and having any more tests done on the same day. I insisted every test was done, last of all a B12 count which may be part of his problem as a low reading can cause stomach irritation.
We are hoping we are through the worst of it with Ollie. He hasn't been sick for over a week now and has taken to the YuDigest tablets fine. He is due his anal glands being done soon so hoping to get that done this week before we all end up under house arrest. He is perfectly well in himself so i am tempted to just see how it plays out. Hope Bracken is ok. x

jacdales

Post by jacdales » 17 Mar 2020, 12:23

I've just come across this and I'm thinking of getting some perhaps it might help Bracken. I read the success stories and it sounds good.
https://www.winstonandporter.com/produc ... ltivitamin

Bracken 01
Puppy

Post by Bracken 01 » 21 Mar 2020, 21:04

Thanks again everybody for your info.