My schnauzer doesnt look very schnauzery

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
KillaleaL
First Name: Laura
Dog #1: Wilbert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Dec 2019

My schnauzer doesnt look very schnauzery

Post by KillaleaL » 17 Mar 2020, 21:23

Hi, I have a 12 week old mini schnauzer, wilbert!!
I have IKC papers and he is a 3 generation pedigree.
However people keep telling me is not a schnauzer, doesn't look like one or what breed is he.
Help!!!

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: My schnauzer doesnt look very schnauzery

Post by zeta1454 » 18 Mar 2020, 07:03

Hi Laura and welcome to the Forum :)

Wilbert looks very sweet but I can understand that there may have been some doubt over whether he is pure schnauzer from your photos. It would be impossible from pictures to know for sure and only a DNA test could identify his heredity. My brother was duped by a puppy seller in the past and a DNA test did reveal an unexpected mixed pedigree of several different breeds ( this was not sold as a mini schnauzer in his case but a different breed).

Did you see Wilbert's mother?

Wilbert may be part miniature schnauzer for sure or have parents who are minis but further back in the pedigree there are other breeds or breed e.g. terrier. Years ago we lived in Newcastle and someone there had bought a puppy sold as a black miniature schnauzer that never developed beard, eyebrow hair or leg furnishings. She said the breeder had mini schnauzers and Jack Russell terriers and it looked very much as though this puppy was from an accidental (?) mating of the two.

As I say, if you want to find out for sure re Wilbert's parentage, only a DNA test will give any certain information. It is possible that his grooming has removed the distinctive schnauzer look but, in any event, whether he is pure-bred or not, I am sure he will develop into a lovely little companion for your family.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 18 Mar 2020, 11:32

I can't help you on the looks/breed question other than to say he looks absolutely adorable and regardless, when his hair grows you can keep him groomed in the schnauzer style if you wish.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

Schnauzer Sam
First Name: Sam
Dog #1: Rosie
Born: 06 Jul 2017
Dog #2: Edie
Born: 11 Jun 2018

Post by Schnauzer Sam » 18 Mar 2020, 15:01

Hi Laura,

He has the right markings for a schnauzer with the pale "socks" and the bar across his chest but at 12 weeks they usually have a bottle brush of a beard and the lack of that rings alarm bells for me.

My older mini, Rosie, was passed on to me as a pedigree dog but I have no papers to prove this. I was deceived by the breeder but as I've removed her from the UK to Guernsey I would have had difficulty following this up on a legal basis and so I let it go. Whether she's a pedigree or not she means the world to me and I love her no less for it. As it happens I think she is 100% schnauzer but was not registered as she was from a litter of 3 and it was her mum's 4th litter. I believe the breeder didn't register this one as he wanted to breed another and register it as the fourth hopefully with a larger and more lucrative litter.

When you say IKC papers do do mean Irish Kennel Club? Did you buy Wilbert from an ac accredited breeder?

Is your concern that you've paid top price for what may not be a pedigree dog and you want to try and recover some money or is it merely to know?
Country Girl at Heart (Molly) 8 April 2003 - 22 December 2018

You're never alone when you own a schnauzer

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Rosie-and-E ... 872588622/