Castration and Babygroes

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Castration and Babygroes

Post by Bracken 01 »

Bracken is being castrated this Wednesday hopefully, unless there is a shortage of vet staff due too the Corovirus, getting quite anxious for him as he goes down hill whenever he is admitted,going to leave my T shirt there so they can put it in the crate with him.
The Vets said I can purchase a body suite so he can't lick the wound, he wont tolerate a head shield.I have heard you can buy babygroes and put them on back too front so the patient can't get at the wound, would owners who have done this please post photos and instructions. Thank You.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Castration and Babygroes

Post by zeta1454 »

I would recommend the medical suits for post surgery as they are made specifically for dogs body shape and needs. They are available to buy at a number of outlets online but here are a couple of links too:

https://www.vetsend.co.uk/medical-pet-s ... gLMEfD_BwE

https://www.suitical.com/products/recovery-suit-dog/

A babygrow may need customising to fit snugly and to allow easy adaptation for Bracken to pee and poo.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

How is Bracken did he have his big op today, if so hope he is feeling back to normal soon. When my boy Gino had his he was a bit sleepy when he came home, then about 8 o'clock he was looking for food so we knew he was on the mend, just gave him some scrambled egg & a few bits of kibble. Have to say it was Babygro's that I used, he was fine with them & didn't bother with his wound. He was back to normal with 48 hrs, well he thought he was but we still kept him quiet & didn't let him off the lead to run about also avoided letting him jump up on sofa or the bed, until he had his stitches out. Hope your boy Bracken is fine
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Bracken 01
Puppy
First Name: Annie

Post by Bracken 01 »

Hi Christine due to the Coronavirus Brackens op was cancelled, my Vets are only doing emergency operations. This has left me in a position I do not want to be in, I have to empty Brackens anal glands he was going to have them emptied before his op.Goodness knows when the Vet will be able to do them, its got to be done so I am going to be positive and do them before he gets to uncomfortable which is beginning to happen.
Anybody out there with tips Please, I have looked on you tube so I know I need a water based lubricant rubber gloves thin ones and be brave and gentle. Help, I do groom and cut him my self I learned that on You tube and I do quite a good job, I also do his nails and brush his teeth Bracken is a easy dog. I am afraid incase I get it wrong and bruise the glands.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Annie - re the anal glands, I once saw a trainee vet do this and he stood behind the dog with the result his fresh white shirt got splattered with stinky liquid :ymsick: so definitely be careful to have Bracken's rear end to the side.

If you have a good video to guide you I would just follow that and go gently. There is also a link here with some guidance too:

https://www.dummies.com/pets/dogs/how-t ... anal-sacs/

Good luck!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/